Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i managed to run over a groundhog hole while mowing. I now have a bubble in one of my front tires (which is practically new). I do alot of heavy lifting w/ FEL. I found a skidsteer tire for $65 that is an 8ply construction tire vs. the standard 4ply that comes with the tractor. BKT Skid Power HD Skid Steer Tire 18x8.50-10 (8 Ply) (TL) Is there any downside to using an 8ply tire? can i still run it with lower air pressure when mowing?

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
More plys = stiffer sidewalls. Generally speaking, you get a tire with more weight capacity but you also get all of the bumps transferring through to the equipment too. The sidewalls just don't flex as much to absorb any of the bumps.

·
Registered
935 Posts
So i managed to run over a groundhog hole while mowing. I now have a bubble in one of my front tires (which is practically new). I do alot of heavy lifting w/ FEL. I found a skidsteer tire for $65 that is an 8ply construction tire vs. the standard 4ply that comes with the tractor. BKT Skid Power HD Skid Steer Tire 18x8.50-10 (8 Ply) (TL) Is there any downside to using an 8ply tire? can i still run it with lower air pressure when mowing?
My guess is that if the outside diameter is the same when filled with air then it should work. I would also put more air in it since it seems that low air pressure has already cost you one tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Welcome to GTT ccundiff12.
I would say if you can get an 8 ply to fit, get it.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
I think I'd be tempted to install the 8 ply tire myself. The loader put incredible stresses on the front tires. Just remember, you're sacrificing any possible good ride quality from the front. Lower tire pressure may help, but you risk popping the bead off the rim.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'd put the 8 ply on, take backhoe if you have one, dig that creature out and have a field day with him. Two problems solved at once and fun to boot!:lol:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I think I'd be tempted to install the 8 ply tire myself. The loader put incredible stresses on the front tires. Just remember, you're sacrificing any possible good ride quality from the front. Lower tire pressure may help, but you risk popping the bead off the rim.
I don't know if the ride can be any worse considering the 4 ply tires are running 4 psi above recommended pressure when using the loader

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
I don't know if the ride can be any worse considering the 4 ply tires are running 4 psi above recommended pressure when using the loader
I'm referencing when the tractor is being used for other than loader work. An 8 ply tire will be stiff. The front end will tend to bounce if you're mowing grass.

·
Registered
144 Posts
one comment to consider. if you only replace one when you have weight in the loader one will buldge more than the other listing the front axle. remember what happened to one our our fellow GTT when he rolled his tractor on grade.

Consider buying a pair for the front if you go 8ply.

Just food for thought

·
Premium Member
14,102 Posts
My brother put one 8ply on his 2720 one or two yrs ago then replaced the other one this spring. Said he couldn't tell any difference between the 8 and 4 ply because of the high air pressure. If I ever need t replace a tire , I guessing I'll buy the 8 ply , if no other reason , the cheaper price compared to the Carlisle tire.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
I bought two sets of 8 ply front tires for our 650 after the originals. I never really notice a difference but we did not mow with the tractor.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've been running my fronts at 32 for three years now. No severe bouncing when mowing light and fast, but they still smash down to the rim with a full FEL. I'm very interested in these tires even though the tread pattern is a bit Mahindra Maxish.

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Unlike the old days when tires actually had multiple plys today most tires are "ply rated." Present tire ply ratings are based on the density of the sidewall fabric along with specifically engineered polymer materials used to build the casing. For the most part ply ratings have become more of a marketing term. Load rating or actual load capacity are more accurate specifications for tire performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
8 ply tires

I have used those tires over 1000 hours and am very satisfied. If you want to run less than 20 psi you'll have a lot of problems. Tires are very stiff and will pop off the rims.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have used those tires over 1000 hours and am very satisfied. If you want to run less than 20 psi you'll have a lot of problems. Tires are very stiff and will pop off the rims.
Do the tires pop off the rim even with INNER TUBES in them? IMO, ANY tire that runs at speeds no higher than 20-25 MPH should have an inner tube in it. ESPECIALLY a front tire on a loader tractor.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Happiness is...

So, the time came that I needed a new front tire for my 1025r FILB. My wife and son in law were using my tractor, heavily, to move manure and didn't notice one of the front tires had gone flat. It was ROACHED! It's my own fault for not keeping them properly inflated. I remembered this thread and pulled the trigger on a set of the 8-plies mentioned by the OP.

The EOM Carlisle tires (4 ply) are rated at 830 lbs @ 22 psi.
The BKT tires (8 ply) are rated at 1155 lbs @ 44 psi and were $9.00 less per tire from my supplier ($54 ea.).

The difference in diameter specified between the two was .1 inches (18.2 for the Carlisle and 18.3 for the BKT) Here's a pic of them, both inflated, for comparison. Keep in mind the OE tire has 500+ hours on it.

size.jpg

Happiness is your very own tire machine.

changer.jpg

One STIFF tire.

stiff.jpg

I'm not worried about how they ride, yet. I'll try to update as soon as I get them back on the tractor and get some seat time.

P.S. Sorry for the sideways pictures. Maybe an amin will rotate them for me. :good2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts