Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious....what are the specs on trailers people use to haul the 1026 with attachments? I'm thinking mower deck, FEL, maybe snowblower. I keep looking on craigslist but I'm not sure what specs I should be looking for. Weight specs? Ball hitch or pintle? Single axel? Brakes? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
At 1,500 for the tractor and in the blower and FEL I'd be guessing 2,500-3,000.

This is right on the verge of where you bump from a single axel to dual. If it were me, I'd be looking for a car hauler - they are the most abundant type while looking used. 7,000GVWR, tandem axel, 4 wheel brakes, 16-18 foot. You could get away with a single axel, but I wouldn't recommend hauling the blower and loader at the same time then - either the blower or loader. It's not as much weight but the single axels are typically going to be shorter as well and you don't have as much room to balance your load.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haul my 1026r TLB on a single axle trailer that's 14 ft long and it isn't very fun. The trailer just doesn't pull well with my 3/4 ton dodge. I'm looking for a two axle trailer to give it a smoother ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use a dual axle 7000lb 16' utility trailer towed by a Dodge Ram 2500. The tractor is heavy and you can feel the weight on the trailer, it is surprising. It would be at the upper limit of a single axle trailer for sure. As far as brakes go, I think it could have a lot to do with your local laws. Here is a picture of it on the trailer so you can get a good feel for it.

IMG-20120609-00471.jpg

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I use a 20' 10k car trailer. I can get the 1026 with the snowblower and a atv on the trailer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a lot of research on the same JD1026R w FEL, MMM and some other implements and I came down to a Landscape Utility #7000 HD 4' gate 76" wide X 16' long. The frame work on the sides are great to tie to and weld up some extensions for custom crafting. Since I have a blower mounted to the 60" MMM deck, I am opting for the 82" wide trailer otherwise I will have to take it off to load everytime as its just too snug. Without the blower, a 76" wide would be fine. Tandem axle and brakes are a MUST no matter what the state requirements. You will only get pushed through a traffic light once or crush someones rear end and wish you spent a couple hundred bucks more for those brakes :slap-yourself-emoti Make: CURRAHEE Model: 854.SG102 w optional HD tailgate. Currahee Trailers - 800 series deluxe double-axle
I was tossing about the car hauler idea but after I welded up some frame work, I'd be back in the same price range not to mention the beaver tail tearing up the ground.
DE dirt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of good advice. Thanks.
Does a tandem axel use a pintle hitch? Or can a ball hitch carry that much weight?

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
Lots of good advice. Thanks.
Does a tandem axel use a pintle hitch? Or can a ball hitch carry that much weight?
A tandem axle doesn't necessitate a pintle hitch. You can get a trailer with a GVW rating of 14,000 lbs or more with a ball. For your needs, a ball either 2 5/16" or 2" will be more than plenty. I have on overkill trailer for a 1026R and it's associated goodies. It's a 20' 10,400 GVW car hauler with brakes on both axles.

I'm going to move this thread to the trailer section for a better fit. :good2:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
DS already answered your question, but no, tandem axel doesn't equal pintle, if you said tandem wheels and axels, then more than likely. You'd be surprised how much a ball can handle! My new 14k trailer uses a ball.

·
Registered
675 Posts
grnmchn, Is that a 4' gate on the back of the trailer? Do you have extra clearance when you have the mmm on when loading or would you go with a dove tail?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
I use a dual axle 7000lb 16' utility trailer towed by a Dodge Ram 2500. The tractor is heavy and you can feel the weight on the trailer, it is surprising. It would be at the upper limit of a single axle trailer for sure. As far as brakes go, I think it could have a lot to do with your local laws. Here is a picture of it on the trailer so you can get a good feel for it.

View attachment 10664
Let us not forget binders.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
When the dealer dropped off my 1026R, MMM, and H120 it came on a single axle trailer and a had a 1/2 ton Silverado pulling it. When I take it with me I use my Alumni 12' single axle trailer and 2003 Silverado 1500 and it works fine. You know its back there, but no problems so far. Love that Vortec 5300! :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
grnmchn, Is that a 4' gate on the back of the trailer? Do you have extra clearance when you have the mmm on when loading or would you go with a dove tail?

Thanks,
Doug
Yes, it is a 4' gate on the back. Because you are asking about a dove tail, I assume you are asking about the clearance under the deck when loading, not the sides. If you load it properly (flat ground, proper hitch height), and with the weight of the tractor, it flattens out where it is almost perfectly flat all the way to the deck, there is plenty of clearance. I just make sure the deck is all the way up before loading. I think, in this case, the flat deck might provide more usable and flexible (can be used in several different ways) room than the dove tail. In my opinion, the dove tail works better when you only have one large piece of equipment or something like a car hauler. I use this trailer to haul other things too, here is an example.

IMG00667-20110613-2115.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
Trailering a 1026R

I've had a single axle 5' X 8' utility trailer for about 9 years. I've already overloaded it once and bent the axle. I really don't want to go through replacing that axle again.

I brought the tractor with 54D mower home from the dealer and left the H120 FEL to be picked up the next day.

My 2010 Ford F-150 with 5.4L engine pulled the tractor and mower combination just fine.

The dealer suggested I back the tractor with mower onto the trailer and raise the bucket on the FEL and hang it over the ramp. I figured that was too close to overload.
I went back the next day and picked up the H120 front end loader.

Twice the number of trips, but it is so nice not to have a bent axle on the trailer. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Those sure are some fancy lookin' circular stickers you have on the FEL and tractor. :hand: Are those dealer stickers?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Those sure are some fancy lookin' circular stickers you have on the FEL and tractor. :hand: Are those dealer stickers?
Just like you guessed, those are dealer stickers. I've been thinking about removing them. I have a habit of removing dealer stickers from my road vehicles.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't all John Deere dealers put dealer stickers on their equipment?? :lol:
Mine didn't. Just the factory ones which I've managed to mess up with with the power washer. :gaah:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts