Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my 425 lawn tractor that had been used around my property for mowing, snow removal, brush clearing, and fire wood gathering. My property is 4 acres of quite steep hills, mostly neglected woods, dead-fall sealed in with vines, about 1/2 acre lawn. I'm trying to clean up the wooded areas, to expand the lawn a bit. My implement needs are York rake, and flail mower for the wooded area. My implement wants are FEL, rototiller, and box blade

Two weeks ago I put a good sized down payment on a 1026r, h120 w/53", 54" auto-connect deck, 54" quick snow-plow. I've been super exited for it to arrive until yesterday. The 1026 is late, and my front yard is mountains from recent dirt work for a mandatory sewer hook up. Fearing that the mess may freeze as is or turn into a sloppy mess, I needed to do something quick. I rented a 6000 lb skid steer yesterday and smoothed everything out decently. I have a lot of experience operating construction equipment, and fear that a 1500 lb loader tractor would be quite frustrating.*

I'm thinking of canceling the 1026r, and ordering a 2520, 200cx w/53", 6' rear blade. For the grass, I could buy a fairly nice used 48" hydro lawn tractor for the price of one of these new mid mower decks.*

Your thoughts and experience please.*

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
Wow, tough call. Bigger is always better, and I think you will appreciate the extra HP and ground clearance on your 4 acres. Since you are used to construction equipment I suspect you will also like the FEL speed of the 2520 better also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i agree, the 1026sR are not what the 2520 is. the 2520 is a great machine that has been around for a while and is alittle higher off the ground, weigh more, and have a better loader on them. i would go with the 2520 for your needs

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use my 2520 for a lot of the same things that you are looking for. In the woods for clearing I would not want anything bigger but I wouldn't want anything smaller either. The extra weight is great for moving and hauling cut wood. It handles a brush cutter perfectly. And even without ballast I can handle a good size load in the FEL. Also the hydraulics opperate pretty fast on the 2520.
Good luck. Both great tractors.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Either machine will do the work.

Either machine will be fine doing what you want to accomplish. The question you need to ask is, "how fast do you want to get the work done?". The 2520 will do more faster. I use my 2305 and 2520 on hills and both are very stable when properly ballast.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went from a 2305 to the 2520, I would guess the 2305 is somewhat comparable to the 1026r. There's a big difference between the two in my opinion. The 2520 is just so much more of a tractor, where as my 2305 to me felt like a oversized lawn tractor. I might take some heat on that statement but I said it and that's my opinion. However I did what your thinking and that was getting another tractor for cutting grass. I went with a x530, same thought on price of the 2520 mower deck vs.the price of another tractor and at the time with the JD incentives for buying two tractors and the additional discounts being offered it wasn't much more. The 2520 would have to big and heavy for my lawn. Where as big might always be considered to be sometimes always better, it may not always be the case, only you can say for sure depending on your specific needs. As in my case it was a expensive mistake on my part for not asking question's and getting opinion's from others. Hope this kinda helps and PLEASE, I'm not by any means putting down the 2305 or 1026r. It just wasn't the right tractor for me.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I would guess the 2305 is somewhat comparable to the 1026r.
No guessing is needed, the 1023 and 1026 are the new models of the 2305. Apples to apples comparison.

I might take some heat on that statement but I said it and that's my opinion..
Hey Casti, that is why we are all here, to learn from others. What works for you may not work for someone else and what works for me may not work for you. We all have different needs and a situations. Thank you for your valuable input. :good2:

Hope this kinda helps and PLEASE, I'm not by any means putting down the 2305 or 1026r. It just wasn't the right tractor for me.
Well said. It just takes research on our part to match the right tools to the task. And in the end only we our selves can make that decision. Keep up the good work. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
106 Posts
What will be involved in clearing your wooded area?
Do you have sizable trees to remove?
Is the best tool for this job a tractor or skid steer?

Just thinking since you have experience and access to a skid steer maybe a weekends rental will get your heavy work done. Then you can choose the tractor that best meets your ongoing tasks of mowing, tilling, loader and snowblowing.

Reactions: Michigan Grandpa

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just today I comitted to a 1026r. I have an acre lot at home and 4 arces at my restaurant (gravel parking lot), 2.5 woods.

For ME, the 1026 made sence. I didnt see the need for a bigger tractor to blow snow. Also, I liked that the 54" blower was going to clear a path that the 1026's (narrower stance) rear tires woulnt run over.

The reason the dicision on what tractor to buy is hard, is cause there isnt a wrong choise (within reason).

I'll get pics up when she gets here.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a great suggestion. Most of my stuff is half rotten dead fall not fit for indoor heating. It will be smoldered to death in an outdoor pile. For the many stumps, I'll be happy with a walkbehind stump grinder for a day (don't want to do too much grading).

The numbers are in:

17,500: 1026r FEL, MMM, snowplow*
18,650: 2520 FEL
I would still need to come up with a rear blade for snow and a lawn tractor for around the house.*

When asked the same question, another suggested that it takes quite a lawn tractor to deal with slopes. That is likely something that would require substantial investment ($2000+)

As of this moment I'm leaning towards the 1026, but may be influenced if I have to go another week or two tractorless.

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
Hi there skier
IMHO,if that is all the better your dealer can do on that 2520 price,I would opt for the 1026R too. That is not a good deal at all.
How steep are you talking when you say slopes.You would be surprised what these tractors can do.I know my 2520 surprised me when it came to cutting grass. I also have slopes,but maybe not the kind you're talking about.

Greg

·
Registered
430 Posts
What will be involved in clearing your wooded area?
Do you have sizable trees to remove?
Is the best tool for this job a tractor or skid steer?

Just thinking since you have experience and access to a skid steer maybe a weekends rental will get your heavy work done. Then you can choose the tractor that best meets your ongoing tasks of mowing, tilling, loader and snowblowing.

I agree rent the large equipment needed and buy what you need for the long term jobs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I test drove the 2320 this morning along with the 1026r. I also removed and installed both mower decks. The verdict; the 1026r is much smoother in regards to engine, trans, controls, seating, deck change over, and even all of the control levers.*

Thanks for all of the input on this question, it was all taken into consideration. I think this tractor will work ok over the next few years. It's too soon for me to tell as the boss has spent more time on it than I have

Enjoy,*

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/xskier/6255a88b.mp4

·
Registered
106 Posts
I test drove the 2320 this morning along with the 1026r. I also removed and installed both mower decks. The verdict; the 1026r is much smoother in regards to engine, trans, controls, seating, deck change over, and even all of the control levers.*

Thanks for all of the input on this question, it was all taken into consideration. I think this tractor will work ok over the next few years. It's too soon for me to tell as the boss has spent more time on it than I have

Enjoy,*

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/xskier/6255a88b.mp4
Great looking machine. :thumbup1gif:

Make safety a habit.

Rops is down. Seatbelt is not being used. Loader is in use and there is no rear ballast. :nunu:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great looking machine. :thumbup1gif:

Make safety a habit.

Rops is down. Seatbelt is not being used. Loader is in use and there is no rear ballast. :nunu:
Agreed, a tractor will kill you in a heartbeat if you do not treat it with respect and take the appropriate precautions. Ballast is critical, ROPS should be up and the seatbelt should be on. I don't always do the seatbelt when moving around the property but I do when I am doing any serious work.

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
Agreed on the safety discussion. I have had a 2320 and a 1026R and agree with you on all your comments. My wife liked the 2320, but she never offered to help with any tractor work. She does now with the 1026R. Which means I run the rakes, shovels, hoes, etc. and her the tractor. Keep us posted.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree, the 1026sR are not what the 2520 is. the 2520 is a great machine that has been around for a while and is alittle higher off the ground, weigh more, and have a better loader on them. i would go with the 2520 for your needs
The 1025r and 2025r use exactly the same loader. Backhoe too, only with a different mounting base. However the 2032r and 2038 have a little bit more loader, but not much. The bigger tractor size and weight would improve performance somewhat.

·
Administrator
20,970 Posts
FYI, this is a 9 year old thread.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Mr. Peabody: "Hey Sherman lets hop into the WABAC (wayback) Machine and visit GTT in 2011."
Sherman: "OK Mr. Peabody, but, do you think it's really safe to go that far back in time?"

=O)

Reactions: Cabledog and kylew
1 - 20 of 20 Posts