Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to hear from all you owners of the new 1026R. I know they placed the work lights on the rear fenders facing forward. Question, was this a good design move for function? :unknown: I would think that they would be mounted too low when using any front attachment, brush, FEL, blower, or blade. I do know the hood mounted lights are useless for these attachments. So what say ya.

·
Corndog Hater
11,236 Posts
I am curious of this too Randy. They would have to be useless with the FEL on I would think. Deere's brochure claims they help with lighting up front just as much as they light the operator platform to aid getting on and off the machine after dark.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The fender lights make a better perimeter light then directly forward....and they do nicely illuminate the operator area as well.
I also use the ROP mounted lights forward or rear facing as required but when pointing forward do help with forward visibility as they are higher. Slight issue with ROP lights is when turning head to look aft, the glare can be high with some head positions but workable.
Otherwise, the lighting package on these is actually very good!

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Slight issue with ROP lights is when turning head to look aft, the glare can be high with some head positions but workable.
Otherwise, the lighting package on these is actually very good!
Ok, I can't resist. Jrs, you should take a look at this: http://www.artillian.com/GlareShrouds.htm

Edit: By the way, Randy, I was wondering the same thing! Glad you brought up the topic.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slight issue with ROP lights is when turning head to look aft, the glare can be high with some head positions but workable.
Yeah, that's why I added the deflectors on my custom guards. But if deflectors are all you need Chris' are a lot simpler.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, I can't resist. Jrs, you should take a look at this: http://www.artillian.com/GlareShrouds.htm

Edit: By the way, Randy, I was wondering the same thing! Glad you brought up the topic.
I looked at these and figured I'd fabricate something like it anyway. Randy's idea is similar to what I was thinking. It wouldn't take much to fix the issue but thx for the reference!

One thing I am toying with is a small micro-switch on the reverse pedal and another set of aft facing ROP lights that would automatically switch between the forward and aft lights dependent on chosen direction. Would remove glare issue entirely, avoid having too much draw and filament bulbs aren't sensitive to on/off actuation either! Once I have the prototype working I'll post some video!

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Ha ha, Randy, why am I not surprised to see those enclosures around your lights?! You think of everything.

Jrs, about your microswitch idea...what if you want the lights to just be 'on' for some other reason such as getting off of the tractor to open a door? Well, it is an interesting idea. I hope to see a video if you can get it together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha ha, Randy, why am I not surprised to see those enclosures around your lights?! You think of everything.

Jrs, about your microswitch idea...what if you want the lights to just be 'on' for some other reason such as getting off of the tractor to open a door? Well, it is an interesting idea. I hope to see a video if you can get it together.
I figured I need a small box to house the actual DP/ST relay that would also provide an opportunity to include a small 3 position selection switch to disable/arm/bypass at will. Disable would obviously disable all ROP LIGHTS, arm would allow micro-switch control of fwd/aft switching and bypass would turn all ROP lights on. There's lots of room to mount on the fender with box hidden and switch projecting thru!
If nothing else, it will be good fun to run!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Randy,
Here's the video for the lighting package on Deere's website. The video does a nice job of showing off the lighting package and comparing it to some other orange tractor:mocking:.

http://www.deere.com/media/player/player_en_us.html?src=s/flash/deerecompany/turf/1_series/round_3_deluxe_lighting_h.flv&lowsrc=s/flash/deerecompany/turf/1_series/round_3_deluxe_lighting_m.flv&autostart=true
Hey, thanks for the link Nick. Unfortunately the video only shows a mowing operation. And they are also recommending the ROPS option to CYA (cover your a**). My concern is with front mounted attachments with just the fender mounted lights. I think the video has already answered my question. And where are the new 1026r owners? :unknown:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, thanks for the link Nick. Unfortunately the video only shows a mowing operation. And they are also recommending the ROPS option to CYA (cover your a**). My concern is with front mounted attachments with just the fender mounted lights. I think the video has already answered my question. And where are the new 1026r owners? :unknown:
Hi Randy! Thought that I would resurrect this old thread since, as you know, I'm a new 1026R owner.:laugh:

Anyways, tonight I finally had an opportunity to have my tractor out in the dark. Holy crap does this thing light up nicely. I was doing pallet fork work and the work lights seemed to be far better than just using the headlights and fendor lights. I have to agree, though, that the ROPS lights are mounted a bit low compared to say, the 2520 and 2720. I almost feel silly with the glare shrouds on since the lights are not at eye level. That being said, I have a friend that purchased a 1026R with the MCS on it, and his dealer moved the lights up so that they clear. I wish that I had a picture of his tractor to show with the MCS mounted, but you should be able to see how much higher these are mounted than a standard 1026R.

IMG_2079.jpg

As you can see, they place the work lights much further up the ROPS where I believe they also would be much better for loader work. (And then I also won't feel silly for having the glare shrouds on:mocking:) I have looked through the 1026R parts manual and cannot find what kit is needed to do this. I even tried the configurator thinking that it would be listed as an option for the MCS. No luck there either. I asked my friend to check with his dealer, which he has not done as of yet. Then I thought that maybe it came automatically with the MCS, or perhaps the dealer made the modification on their own. Anyone?!?:unknown:

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
What is the MCS?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
One of my best buddys was over tonight picking up the hitch I built him.

He just took delivery on a 1026 R which I went over and looked at when he got it a couple weeks ago.

I will say the aux lights are a huge improvement over the standard lighting which appears the same as my 2305.

But he said tonight after seeing my high mounted ROPS lights he was going to add a set as well.

I dont think you can beat having them mounted as high as possible.

Before and after for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am wanting to hear from all you owners of the new 1026R. I know they placed the work lights on the rear fenders facing forward. Question, was this a good design move for function? :unknown: I would think that they would be mounted too low when using any front attachment, brush, FEL, blower, or blade. I do know the hood mounted lights are useless for these attachments. So what say ya.
Here is a motion picture of how the fender mount lights work. I did experiment with unplugging the headlights to cut down on the reflection of the shiny new FEL bucket. I'm not sure which way to go with that yet. Any way, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xrHDJOT_28&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
75 Posts
Randy, oops I messed up your thread :)hijacked:) as you were asking about the work lights on the fenders, and I was writing about my experience with the optional forward lighting kit. I have got to not write stuff at night when I'm tired!!!:lol:

Anyways, to get back on topic, I agree that the fender lights would be worthless for any meaningful loader work, which is why I ordered my tractor with the auxiliary forward lighting kit. The video that Deere showed comparing the lighting to the Kubota BX kinda cheated by having all six lights going. They should have just used the work lights in that video. I think that the fender lights would be okay if doing late night MMM work (and I will probably do that just to get my neighbors ticked off! :lol:), but you need the forward lighting kit for loader work, and as others have noted, the higher the better.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No mess done Mr B.

Actually, you are still providing good lighting info. :thumbup1gif: And as far as Deere marketing, well you know they are going show you the bright side of things. :mocking:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts