Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
First post here...my father in law asked me to store his 1947 A for the winter so I'm becoming a John Deere fan.

I found the wagon in the picture a couple of weeks ago and thought it might be a good project for us. The John Deere nameplate identifies it as a "Type 1065W" and that it was Made in Canada.I've found manuals and auction pictures of the 1065 running gear so I think it was made in the 1960's or 1970's. However, I can't figure out if the wagon deck is something JD sold or if it was an aftermarket addition. The deck is about seven feet wide x fourteen feet long. The deck will be a good base for the hayride wagon but if it's nothing special I won't worry too much about drilling or cutting.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Mmmm...where's my picture??? I'll be back when I figure that out..... IMG_0801.JPG

Forgot to mention it had the gravity defying option...sorry about that but I obviously had my phone backwards from where it should have been.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photo try again

Looks like it's there in the "Manage Attachments" so hopefully it shows up this time...

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
That’s a great option. It really increases storage space.:laugh: Looks like it’s in very good shape except for where the fat man stood on the tongue but maybe that his camera angle.

Reactions: Bumper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll see if I can get a clear picture of the serial number plate next weekend. I'm pretty sure it's a W but it's worth checking again.
Thanks for turning my picture right side up, too! That looks way better.

The woman I bought it from said the guy before her bent the tongue for his use. Trying to straighten it ought to be interesting.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I'll see if I can get a clear picture of the serial number plate next weekend. I'm pretty sure it's a W but it's worth checking again.
Thanks for turning my picture right side up, too! That looks way better.

The woman I bought it from said the guy before her bent the tongue for his use. Trying to straighten it ought to be interesting.
Shouldn't be difficult to straighten in a large press.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a photo of the serial number plate. It's hard to make out but I'm pretty sure it says W1065 for the model. Any insight on either this model or where the flatbed attachment came from would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The 1065 was a popular running gear for hay racks and forage boxes in this area. I don't remember when they went in production but I think the late sixties. As I recall the 1065 replaced the 953 running gear.

I can't help with the platform.

Now I saw TxJim's post. The W in the serial number would probably indicate Welland. The wagons were built in the Welland, Ontario factory.

Looking at the picture again, the bed could be the floor of an old forage box with the mechanicals (chains, sprockets, etc) removed.

Reactions: FoCo47 and Tx Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate the history lesson and the thoughts about the platform. Sounds like the platform is nothing special at this point so I can modify it down the road when I figure out what I want to do with it. Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts