Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some guidance please! Today I decided to drain and flush the coolant on my 1070. Straight forward job. I successfully drained the antifreeze, filled with water and a commercial flush solution and started the engine to let it warm up and start circulating the flush. It took a good 20-25 min for it to warm enough for the thermostat to open and for the water to circulate. I then added more water, capped the radiator and let it run for another 10 min per the instructions before draining the flush. Instructions say to repeat the process with clean water to rinse out the flush completely and that's where the problem began. I filled the system up with water, started the tractor and waited for the thermostat to open and circulate the water. I waited. And I waited. I could not get this thing warm enough for the thermostat to again open! I let it sit running at 2200rpm FOR TWO HOURS before it finally got dark and I had to call it a day. Help! Dash gage indicates its running cool, water in radiator is warm, but not too hot to touch and exhaust is nice and comfortably warm to hold hand on. What do I do to get this thing to circulate and rinse out the flush residue? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Laura, I can't explain why the thermostat is isn't opening with straight water as it did with the flush. Right now, you just need to get water circulating. Try working tractor a little or at least driving around. Find a gear that tends too lug/work the engine. Check temp gage often. When it reaches temperature, bring'er "home" and drain.

Hmm, draining. Are you draining the block, or just radiator, or both? Just a "wag" on my part, but I'd say block holds 2 to 3 times the amount of coolant than the radiator. In the end, without draining block you're only changing 1/2 more or less of you coolant. Bob

Reactions: Lauraleigh

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the advice, Bob! I'm new to all of this maintenance stuff. I did open both the petcock as well as the drain block. On this model it was fairly easy to as there was only 1 drain on the block so it was straightforward. I didn't know how much to expect, so I just let both drain until they stopped. On the bright side, I guess its a good thing that this tractor seems to run cool despite my attempts to heat it up, lol. I'll keep trying and post an update...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My 990 is the same. It takes for ever for the engine to heat up. As Bob said try working it. That is when I can get the engine to heat the best. Otherwise like you said you can put your hand on the thing. The Yanmar's are great little engines!

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts
What if the thermostat is stuck open? That'll keep it from getting up to temperature.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Kyle, that ran through my mind also! If tractor sart for years, I'd say probable, but thinking it sat only 1/2 hr-1 hr. Not really enough time for thermostat to "stick"...open or closed!

Laura, I'm thinking you'll be fine. For a flush, you need operating temperature for the chemical action to be correct...which you had. You are now just trying to remove the flush compound from the internal of your cooling system. So, when engine runs, water pump circulates water through out the block. When engine reaches temperature, thermostat opens and water goes through radiator to cool. Assuming thermostat never opened, you've got a block full of rinse water and whatever small amount of flush compound never drained out, and a radiator full of primarily rinse water.

Open block and radiator petcocks and drain. Just cuz, I'd refill with rinse water again and run for 10 or 15 minutes. Shut down, let'er cool some, drain both block and radiator, (DO NOT refill with anything if you can't hold hand on block!) and refill with coolant. I TRULY believe you'll be fine. Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts
Not really enough time for thermostat to "stick"...open or closed!
Sure it is. The flush might have dislodged something that got stuck, holding the stat open. It's a possibility.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys, you are all the best! Thank you so much for the guidance. Its been raining for a few days here in Michigan, so last night after work was the first dry day to work on this machine. I decided to really work this tractor as suggested to heat up the block and have the thermostat open. I thought if I drove it around the pasture with the belly mower PTO on as well as the 3-pt brush hog PTO on it should heat things up. My plan was foiled! After dragging the brush hog out of the weeds, I hooked up the 3 point hitch, but wasn't able to get the PTO shaft moving - it needs grease. It took so long trying to wrangle that beast of a brush hog back to life, that I started losing daylight. So I moved on to plan B.

Bob, your explanation made so much sense to me. I hadn't thought about the water pump circulating the rinse within the block. I followed your guidance and filled, ran, drained, cooled, filled, ran, drained, cooled and then filled up with the 50/50 mix from JD. It was late and I had to use the truck headlights to finish, but I finished!

My manual had mentioned the importance of using distilled water. I really had to hunt to find some given water is a hot commodity right now because of covid. I found and brought home two gallons, only to find the antifreeze from JD was pre-diluted! Oh geeze! LOL

Again, THANKS SO MUCH everyone!

Laura

Reactions: Toughsox and robpm

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
GOOD JOB! Whether a novice or an expert mechanic, ya feel good about doing things yourself and at the end, say, 'Yup, I did it!'

As always, feel free to ask questions here...whether it be that you have no clue or just want reassurance. We're ALL here to help. Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a million, Bob! I do feel a sense of accomplishment, but couldn't have done it without your help :)
Next, I start in on the F-911 mower..........

Laura

·
Registered
609 Posts
Put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. That will stop wind-flow and allow the water to heat up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.