Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change hydraulic oil and filters on my jd 110 tlb. Thinking of using low viscosity year round instead of j20c hy gard. Thinking it would help in winter . Do you think it would create any problyms in summer .

·
Administrator
17,122 Posts
It probably won't hurt at all, what temp range does the manual specify?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My 110TLB shipped from Thomasville, GA. By the first week in November, it was minus 10F and the tractor did NOT want to move at all... let alone lift the loader off the ground.

After switching over to Lo-vis, I asked the lead mechanic what his experience was regarding Hyd transmissions and Alaska conditions. His response was - mix the JD20C and 20D 50:50.

I've never done that, mind you; but his uses ranged from JD dozers to lawn tractors - older machines with reversers and Hi/Lo shifts.

Nonetheless, where we live; it might only reach 85F once or twice in a summer - every 4-5 years! Lucky to see 80F in the summer up here in this part of Alaska.

So, I use JD20D year 'round.

Where you live, you need to ask - how many days do you use the tractor when it's +10F to -10F versus how any days do you use the tractor when it's >80F? If the most use is when it's warm-hot outside, you might be better served to invest in a transmission heater for the 110TLB and stay with the JD20C hyd oil.

AKfish

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

My 110TLB shipped from Thomasville, GA. By the first week in November, it was minus 10F and the tractor did NOT want to move at all... let alone lift the loader off the ground.

After switching over to Lo-vis, I asked the lead mechanic what his experience was regarding Hyd transmissions and Alaska conditions. His response was - mix the JD20C and 20D 50:50.

I've never done that, mind you; but his uses ranged from JD dozers to lawn tractors - older machines with reversers and Hi/Lo shifts.

Nonetheless, where we live; it might only reach 85F once or twice in a summer - every 4-5 years! Lucky to see 80F in the summer up here in this part of Alaska.

So, I use JD20D year 'round.

Where you live, you need to ask - how many days do you use the tractor when it's +10F to -10F versus how any days do you use the tractor when it's >80F? If the most use is when it's warm-hot outside, you might be better served to invest in a transmission heater for the 110TLB and stay with the JD2i
Thanks I think I will stick with J20c Idig graves and this past winter got down to 14 below . IT don't happen alott here in the midwest IL . She got the job dun but it howled all the way. But this will be the first time i have changed the oils sens i got it.So i am not sure whats in it now .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts