Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my new toy home and off the trailer. Now the clean up work starts. It is in pretty good shape over all, just a bit of age rust and a bit of bent sheet metal.
The question is does anybody here know where the serial number is on a 12 A? Pretty sure it probably is a 50s vintage but would like to know for sure.
Thanks
Hutch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
a google search reports to "look behind the LH rear lower panel behind the tire, fairly large numbers" Should be something like 12A6155 or12A8155

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found painted numbers there but couldn't believe JD would use a painted serial number. However after getting some parts from a 12A in Greg Stephen's bone yard I found on his they painted the serial number and also stamped it into the metal below the painted one. The area of the stamping on mine is rusted bad enough to hide the stamping. Perhaps after some sandblasting the stamping will appear. It does look like mine is a 51 model.

As an aside could the moderators move this to the Combines and Mowers section, probably a more appropriate area. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
That brings back some memories. While we didn't use JD products, I grew up combining fescue with pull-type combines. Old Allis Chalmers behind a WD-45 of my grandpa's.

With any luck I'll inherit my other grandpa's old Johnny Popper. Another one I spent some time on growing up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit of history on a JD 60, a 12A and if memory serves me correctly a JD 45 self propelled combine...
It was probably harvest time in 1951. The JD dealer in Sidney NE brought the above equipment to our farm to harvest the wheat. All of the equipment was paint OD green. The 60 had a large clock timer on it (where later the tach cable was on the one Grandpa bought for me and my brother to drive). We were both told not to turn the ignition switch on as that would start the clock and mess with the hours... but as an inquisitive 6 year old I had to see for myself. It did indeed run the clock wheel. I didn't know then but I am sure they were demo / testing the new equipment as the 60 was introduced in 52. I know now the 12A had been around for a long time but new improvements came out on it in the early 50s. It made a pretty big impression on me and this is one reason why I don't have much space in and around my garage here in town now. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
12A Update

I have gotten most of the dings out of the tin and the header sides pulled back into proper shape. The reel has been rebuilt and painted. Clean grain elevator replaced, conveyer rebuilt, upper canvas replaced and all new belts installed. I am currently working on repairing the feeder canvas and when that is finished and installed the combine should be operational. I did take it to the Punkin Fest as a static display last fall and it got a lot of attention. The acquisition of an MC, and L tractors and the Model E stationary engine have caused a slow down on progress of the 12A. Winter and the fact the L and E fit in the heated shop have a lot to do with that. Next time I get to my daughters, where I am storing it I will get a proper up to date pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Well I have the header canvas repaired and ready to install. When it stops raining around here I will take it to my daughter's and install it on the 12A.
A couple of pics of the repair. First is the bottom piece of canvas glued on and awaiting the top piece. The repair canvas came from the upper small canvas that had split across and was replaced with a new canvas (that came with the combine). The second is of the rivets and slats.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
I, for one, am anxious to see this combine back together. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
I, for one, am anxious to see this combine back together. :thumbup1gif:
:munch:what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^can;t wait too see it back up and running.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

I spoke yesterday with the Director of operations at the farm of the Botanic Gardens and he thinks the wheat is about two weeks out. I am going to move the 12A there to get ready to harvest the wheat when it ripens. I will post some video of it in operation when mother nature gives us the green light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12A at work

Well the stars finally aligned and we got into the field with the 12A operating as I think it should. The first day out and in 4 hrs of work we got 1 3/4 rounds on the little 2 acre field we were trying to cut. A few adjustments, it wasn't cleaning good at all, and it started working ok. The field is a mess to cut, pretty heavy yeld, down wheat and lots of weeds, but it seems to do the job. We got about 3/4 of the field done, about 60 bushels of grain in the wagon before the header canvas tore and put a stop to the operation. as I don't know how or if I can post the video here...
A short video here: https://www.facebook.com/david.hutchison.54390

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a plea for info

Does anyone know of a source for canvas like my header canvas? We got most of the 2 acre field done before the header canvas tore out of the mounting bar that connects it to the splice bar. I have checked around with the tent and awning places here in the Denver area and haven't yet come up with a suitable material to repair / replace my canvas. I am hoping that the old combine / binder canvases that were in our shop on the farm where I grew up are still there so I can use them.
thanks for any help
Hutch

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Does anyone know of a source for canvas like my header canvas? We got most of the 2 acre field done before the header canvas tore out of the mounting bar that connects it to the splice bar. I have checked around with the tent and awning places here in the Denver area and haven't yet come up with a suitable material to repair / replace my canvas. I am hoping that the old combine / binder canvases that were in our shop on the farm where I grew up are still there so I can use them.
thanks for any help
Hutch
do u have any Amish people around ur area? yrs ago i seen where they had people who replaced them canvas's in thise old binders or combines like what u have!

J3Driver--who lives around several families of Menonites-might be able to help ya for someone in that community that fixes or replaces them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts