Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, tried to search, but didn't see this particular issue addressed. After using the loader, I took it off the tractor. I removed the Red, Blue and Black quick disconnect fittings no problem. When I removed the Yellow, hydraulic fluid spurted out of the male fitting on the loader. I could tell, but it looked like there was a piece of material keeping the valve from seating fully. Pretty sure I lost most of the hydraulic fluid from that line. I'm going to let it be over night because it happened right before dark, but I'll be working on it tomorrow. Could it be as simple as getting the piece out or is the safe bet to replace the male quick disconnect fitting?

Thank you

·
Registered
213 Posts
Same thing happened to my yellow male the other day. I think we both need to go buy a new fitting. The poppet isn’t sealing properly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would just replace the fitting, I have never disassembled one, but I would guess there is a seal of some type and the material might be a torn part. Of course it could also be junk that could be removed and you would be ok.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would just replace the fitting, I have never disassembled one, but I would guess there is a seal of some type and the material might be a torn part. Of course it could also be junk that could be removed and you would be ok.
I think you might be right about a seal busted. The piece didn't look like dirt or grass, but a solid black piece like rubber. I'll probably go get another fitting and I-ring and change it out. I imagine it's just a matter of allowing hydraulic fluid to refill that line and then adding to the reservoir on the tractor to top it off?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've had the same problem on both male & female ends. Not a big deal. A pretty inexpensive fix with new fittings.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
PKT, The female coupling has o-rings that fit around the male plug. It's possible...and most likely probable!... that you sheared one the the o-rings and that's the black piece you got out. If you look inside the coupler where the male plug goes, you should see 2 o-rings. Get new o-rings from your JD dealer and replace...about a $3 fix. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
Nothing to do with your issue but an SAE and a Metric O-ring kit is a very valuable addition to any shop... I've used mine time after time, forget going to the store when it's right in your hands.

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,073 Posts
An o ring kit is good to have but you’ll find with those fittings it’s easier to replace the whole fitting. Common among QC attatchments the lower pressure fittings fail with regular use from anomalies like o rings un seating and getting caught in the moving parts. There are other types out there like Stucci fittings that are a screw together setup and last a lot longer but more expensive. In your case I’d just replace the fittings with OEM.
Rule of thumb from the excavation world I live in is if one fitting fails to replace both male and female of the same line. That way you are ensuring the proper seal instead of one new fitting mating to an older one.
Might behoove you to grab a couple extra male/female fittings for future issues.
Have a can of WD40 with you every time you hook those fittings together and clean them thoroughly beforehand. It only takes a small piece of debris to sit in there and chafe away at the seals to make it leak. Dont expect to get itclean with a rag. Especially the females. Spray them good and flush all dirt and dust outta there

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for those o rings? Thank you

Reactions: rtgt and Mackford13

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
PKT, A quick comment on o-ring kits. Yes they are handy but verify 100% that they are made for petroleum fluids! O-rings are available for both water and petroleum systems, you MUST have petroleum compatible o-rings... such as Nitril/Buna N and NOT rubber/EPDM. Bob

Reactions: tj1 and ClydeLogan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PKT, A quick comment on o-ring kits. Yes they are handy but verify 100% that they are made for petroleum fluids! O-rings are available for both water and petroleum systems, you MUST have petroleum compatible o-rings... such as Nitril/Buna N and NOT rubber/EPDM. Bob
This is a great point. I was checking out materials as we and looking at Buna 70 rings.

Thanks for the link @Kennyd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question about changing the female QD on the tractor: Am I going to lose all my tractor hydraulic fluid if I have to change it out?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Question about changing the female QD on the tractor: Am I going to lose all my tractor hydraulic fluid if I have to change it out?
No you won't. You'll just lose a little bit that's in the line. Just put a oil pan underneath it to catch it.

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
Only if you attempt to change it out with the tractor running and the SCV activated to pump fluid to that particular port.

Shut your machine off, wiggle your SCV handle to relieve pressure on all ports and then replace your connector. You'll loose a bit of fluid that is in the line but that will only be an ounce or so.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This will be an expensive way to take care of your problem, but start to think about the single point connector for the loader. It is around $700, but I think I can speak for those of us who have taken the plunge that it is one of the best improvements we have made. And it comes with pre-assembled all new hydraulic lines and fittings.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ClydeLogan I've seen that single point connector before. Looks like a great solution. I was also looking at getting a 3rd function for a grapple. All of this is on the back burner right now trying to get the wife going with her garden and trees. Spent the money for a tiller and 18yds of mushroom compost soil mix to till into the ground here, which is more clay. I'll be looking at those niceties later, though.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I took the male end off of the loader and checked it out, I think the piece fell out when I pulled it off. The female end looks fairly easy to replace as well. Thr local dealer did not have any in stock (even the parts guy was surprised at that), but I think I'll order one from Green Parts just to have on hand.

If anyone else has anything, please, I'm all ears for advice and education.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
@ClydeLogan I've seen that single point connector before. Looks like a great solution. I was also looking at getting a 3rd function for a grapple. All of this is on the back burner right now trying to get the wife going with her garden and trees. Spent the money for a tiller and 18yds of mushroom compost soil mix to till into the ground here, which is more clay. I'll be looking at those niceties later, though.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I took the male end off of the loader and checked it out, I think the piece fell out when I pulled it off. The female end looks fairly easy to replace as well. Thr local dealer did not have any in stock (even the parts guy was surprised at that), but I think I'll order one from Green Parts just to have on hand.

If anyone else has anything, please, I'm all ears for advice and education.
If you do order one off of Green Parts Store, make sure & use Tim's code TTWT for free shipping. 😉 👍

Reactions: Tractor Tim
1 - 20 of 25 Posts