Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am looking to put in a couple of food plots. What do u guys use for risking and planting? I have a tiller but hate running it threw stuff I have never worked up. I was thinking of a disk and then a drag.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If there's a lot of weeds/grass a disk takes a lot of passes to make ground suitable to plant. A moldboard plow or a field cultivator/chisel plow with 2-3 rows of sweeps works better. I'd also suggest spraying the areas you want plots with RoundUp or a similar generic a week or two before you plan to till up the plots.

Just had this discussion on another forum.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Box blade?

If there's a lot of weeds/grass a disk takes a lot of passes to make ground suitable to plant. A moldboard plow or a field cultivator/chisel plow with 2-3 rows of sweeps works better. I'd also suggest spraying the areas you want plots with RoundUp or a similar generic a week or two before you plan to till up the plots.

Just had this discussion on another forum.
If you have a box blade with scarifiers, I would look at dropping the scarifiers and running them as a ripper a few times. Then you could smooth it out with the box and/or a drag. I think I'll be doing that this fall but need to get the soil sample done first.

On the other hand, if you want to buy a disk just to have that's a different answer. Then you really, really need a disk.

Treefarmer

·
Administrator
20,966 Posts
I assume you mean a 1026R in the title? If so, I'll fix it for you.

A 1 series is good for about a 4-5' disk. If you went larger, it may not have the weight and traction, let alone the HP you'd need to pull it when the disk is fully angled. The larger the angle you set the disks, the more power it requires to pull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts