Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this hopper from John Deere & tried it. It kind of sucks unless I am just too dumb to benefit from it. It dumps forward which is useless to me, unless I back up & run the stuff over. Any thoughts or advice (tricks) to make it useful?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Is this the Superior Tech like this one? This shows the 20bu with the electric opener, my 14 bu is similar but manual pull, but runs off the rear click and go just the same.

I love mine, great in the fall when the leaves come. If yours is like I describe, I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "it dumps forward".....at least the systems I'm familiar with don't, so I'm curious......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean is when you pull the lever to dump it, it opens at the forward facing bottom edge of the hopper, just behind the back tire. The open hopper has to clear the pile of debris to empty the hopper I am trying to back up to a pile of debris and add to it. The only way I see this working out for me is to back over the stuff I am dumping, which makes it hard to have a pile of yard waste. Thanks for any advise or useful
help as right now it has been removed & I am back to the three bags.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Build a set of ramps? Got any pics?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wonder if was put together backwards?

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Wonder if was put together backwards?
According to the video thats how it works.

It appears to just be the wrong tool for the job to me.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
OK, I got it.

Yeah, I can understand what you mean, the approach I use is that I start at the back of the area I am filling, dump, then move either side or forward on subsequent dumps. I think the idea is that if it had a "lift" of sorts that would allow for stacking into a pile, whereas if you do the three bag way you can pull one at a time and pile it up where you want to, albeit then getting off the tractor to do so.

I do periodically go back to my area with a pitchfork and flip some of that back, also make into compost and such.

With leaves, I can pull it up to the street and the city sucker comes and picks it up. In the fall, where in my valley the leaves get really thick, I need the dumper to deal with the sheer volume of leaves we get. That's what leaned me in the direction to add it on, whereas many might do just as well with the three bag loader depending on their specific situation. On balance, I prefer the dump-from-seat but can get how it might not be best for everyone, especially if needing help to manage a larger pile.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
What tractor do you have? You might be able to attach a hydraulic lift and dump mcs.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
It is assembled correctly. It will only fit one way

X739

It dumps at about 5-6’ height, and if you have a 60 or 62 deck you don’t need to neck down to the hose. It won’t stack 6’ high, because the pile will slump and the pony motor cooling air is cut off by the pile.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This thread got me looking at the 14 bu hopper again. I already have the 3 bag MCS with the Powerflow blower on my X754 so I think the dump from seat hopper would go right on with nothing more needed. This might be the year. Dumping those heavy bags is getting mighty hard on my old shoulders.

I have a 2025R with a loader so getting the grass pile stacked up after the mowing is done wouldn't be a problem for me. I am wondering if you could look into putting a front blade on your X739 so after dumping the hopper you could turn around and shove the pile where you want it. With your 4wd it should work easily and maybe even be kind of fun. I think you also have 4 wheel steer so maybe the blade on the front would be too much in the way and limit the effectiveness of the tighter turns.

That brings me to another question. Does the new hopper stick out further back than the bag frame enough to cause more trouble when turning next to fences or buildings? It seem I am always banging the hopper lid into something because the all wheel steering throws the rear end out when I make a sharp turn.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
This thread got me looking at the 14 bu hopper again. I already have the 3 bag MCS with the Powerflow blower on my X754 so I think the dump from seat hopper would go right on with nothing more needed. This might be the year. Dumping those heavy bags is getting mighty hard on my old shoulders.

I have a 2025R with a loader so getting the grass pile stacked up after the mowing is done wouldn't be a problem for me. I am wondering if you could look into putting a front blade on your X739 so after dumping the hopper you could turn around and shove the pile where you want it. With your 4wd it should work easily and maybe even be kind of fun. I think you also have 4 wheel steer so maybe the blade on the front would be too much in the way and limit the effectiveness of the tighter turns.

That brings me to another question. Does the new hopper stick out further back than the bag frame enough to cause more trouble when turning next to fences or buildings? It seem I am always banging the hopper lid into something because the all wheel steering throws the rear end out when I make a sharp turn.
It doesn't stick out further from the bag frame, but at a point about half/two thirds way down it's about the same outside dimensions. The steel cage just extends down where the bags do, but it's now one unified space in there all the way down to the bottom of the hopper. You will still have to clear past the obstacle you could potentially turn out (in) to, or yes, your rear end will swing the MCS out and hit what you don't drive/clear past. I don't think it's any more trouble on an "outside dimension" basis, but the MCS hopper extends lower below the frame and just inside of the 3 bag rig and cover. The metal casing doesn't give like the bags do.

It's shorter than the 20bu but definitely something you have to get used to/dialed into, but once you hit a building edge or fence or two you'll start to learn much faster :) I did just that on a newly painted shed, so new in fact I still had the cans left over to touch it right up after I was done bleeping it up. The MCS was no worse off save for a bit of paint that cleaned off pretty readily, it is stainless steel, after all and cleans up easily.

Reactions: TyBoo

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for that info! You are giving me a little too much credit for the speed of my learning. I bought the mower in 2013 and still snag the picket fence with the hopper lid once in a while. The plastic guard over my blower is in pretty sad shape, too. Every time I think I ought to replace it I bang it into something else so I now I just replace the bungee cord I have wrapped around it to hold the thing on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

It dumps at about 5-6’ height, and if you have a 60 or 62 deck you don’t need to neck down to the hose. It won’t stack 6’ high, because the pile will slump and the pony motor cooling air is cut off by the pile.

That is cool

·
Registered
313 Posts
I picked up the 14 bussel MCS hopper today and tried it ut. I left off the stop pin that limits how far the id opens and I think that helped me leave taller piles, although it would still be difficult to stack up the debris with it.

The thing works pretty well and dumps easily. The only problem I see is knowing when the hopper is getting full. That goofy indicator on the chute has never done anything for me. With the bags I just reached back and punched the one closest to the chute and when it started getting heavy Iknew the other two were full and was close to dump time. With the new aluminum hopper I overfilled it and plugged things up the first time.

Has anyone come up with a reliable indicator for when the hopper is full or the chute is plugged other than the odd noise and mess on the ground when it's too late? The air flow indicator does not seem to work with a power blower.

Thanks.

On Edit: I see there is a fill sensor offered by Superior Tech but I don't find any revieews of it. Maybe for $149 it hasn't sold much. I think I will start a new thread to ask if anyone has experience with this or other methods of figuring out when to dump the hopper.

Reactions: FortClatsop
1 - 15 of 15 Posts