Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Looking to outfit my X739 with 54HC with a bagging system and I'm stuck between the two sizes. My main concern on the 14 is of course the overall size of the unit and storage/manhandling. I have 1.25 acres of lawn and parts are hilly. I know going with the 7-bushel is going to require more frequent emptying, not an issue but I'm I going to lose anything beyond capacity? I'm sure leaf pick-up would the biggest of the issue going smaller.

I tried the MulchControl Kit and I'm getting too much clippings left behind for my liking. I'm sure this would need to be removed and install the JD high lift blades for best performance.

My local JD guy says not many people buy the 14-bushel and he pushing me towards the 7. Not sure if he is just trying to sell me on his stock or not seeing he doesn't have the larger unit on-hand.

Also, I already tried installing the Click-N-Go bracket but I cant get the left side nut and bolt in even reversing. The trans is totally blocking access

I just dont want to have buyers remorse picking the wrong unit.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the 14. It works great. My only beef is how heavy / awkward it is for putting on and off. Mine is for an X585, so maybe the newer ones are easier to handle. Putting it on isn't too bad. Taking it off is a bit more awkward. But if you are only doing it once or twice a season, it isn't a big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
I went with the 7 on my X739 mainly because I was concerned about the width of the bagger on the left side where I mow under overhanging bushes and plants. Plus I wasn't sure I wanted to handle the additional weight of the fully loaded bags on the larger unit. In hindsight I think the 14 may have been fine but I didn't have any examples to look at when I ordered my mower. Here's a pic of the 7 from behind

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the 7 on my X739 mainly because I was concerned about the width of the bagger on the left side where I mow under overhanging bushes and plants. Plus I wasn't sure I wanted to handle the additional weight of the fully loaded bags on the larger unit. In hindsight I think the 14 may have been fine but I didn't have any examples to look at when I ordered my mower. Here's a pic of the 7 from behind

I didnt think about the left side overhang. That could be an issue with me and the 14 getting tight into the property line bushes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't own either. I use an old craftsman 2-trash can thing mounted on a carry-all that I carry around on my 3PH. It has wheels, but they can be hard on the yard when turning. So I pick it up. I've been waiting it to die so I can go to the 14 bushel JD. For me, less dumping is important. That 7 bushel unit will fill up in just a few seconds in leaves. Dumping can really slow you down.

I think the tractor will handle either unit quite well. You might need front weights for the 14.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the 14 bushel one for my x758 and mow about an acre. During leaf season on an area that is about 1/4 acre and has one big tree it lasts less than 5 minutes before I have to empty it again. Just imagine how much time you will lose with half the capacity. As far as overhang on the side I have not found a problem. Both models will be a pain to put on and take off due to the awkwardness, more than the weight, I highly doubt the 14 bushel weighs twice as much as the 7 bushel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The hardware between the 7 bu. and the 14 is (IS ) about the same . If you think the three bagger is to wide you already tore the fender off your 758 .:greentractorride:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think JD also makes a 3PH leaf/grass collection system. It might a be bit easier to hook up. Though I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the 14 bushel, Like others have said, makes it nice for fall leaf pickup. I have 3 acres I mow with it, I have to empty the 3 bags 3 times per mow, I personally wouldn't want the smaller bagger. It is a little clumsy to get on and off, but its not terrible, so it goes on in in the spring and off in the fall. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok very helpful everyone. Are many of you using this cart for the 14 MCS Storage Cart for X-Series with Click-N-Go Mounts - Jamison Bryce

Seems like it would be very helpful for dismounting and storage. Ive tried contacting the person but I'm getting no response seeing its out of stock

On another note how the heck to you get the left side nut and bolt for the L bracket installed for the Click-n-Go? I've tried switching them around and either way its hitting the bolt from the trans.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Regarding left side overhang, it is not an issue with the 14 bushel. As for filling up too fast with leaves, when the leaves are thick I do a mulching pass over the lawn first and it pretty much eliminates that problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I went with the 14bu triple on my X758 to maximize seat time and interval in between dumps. AS others have said it's awkward to get on by yourself especially if you don't want to scrape up the powercoat. I'm jealous of the 1 series guys that can use a heavy hitch and lower theirs onto the stand that Jameson Bryce builds. That being said I might still get their storage cart to save on garage floor space.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I went with the 14bu triple on my X758 to maximize seat time and interval in between dumps. AS others have said it's awkward to get on by yourself especially if you don't want to scrape up the powercoat. I'm jealous of the 1 series guys that can use a heavy hitch and lower theirs onto the stand that Jameson Bryce builds. That being said I might still get their storage cart to save on garage floor space.
You can always add a 3PH to your X758 and use a heavy hitch. I like the omni-hitch better than the HH myself.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
You can always add a 3PH to your X758 and use a heavy hitch. I like the omni-hitch better than the HH myself.
This is true however you wouldn't be able to control the flow to your deck and your rear 3pt properly. The Jamison Bryce setup needs you to have independent flow to the mid and rear to work properly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So I have the two bag 7 bushel powerflo. I have a half acre to mow but tons of trees so in fall it’s a mess with leaves. I also have the mulch kit.

I like the smaller 7 bushel 2 bagger because of maneauverability, and easier to get on. I can get my whole place done with one empty. You’ll have to empty yours more I would say with a bigger lot. But I still think the 7 bagger still has its advantages and easier to take off and on. Even at that size it’s still heavy enough when empty. And I hang it from the garage wall inside when not in use

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
Hello all,

Also, I already tried installing the Click-N-Go bracket but I cant get the left side nut and bolt in even reversing. The trans is totally blocking access

Thanks for the help!
On another note how the heck to you get the left side nut and bolt for the L bracket installed for the Click-n-Go? I've tried switching them around and either way its hitting the bolt from the trans.
Please take a picture or two of the issue, with the hardware and post them on this thread. I am sure we will be able to help you find a solution once we cans see the difficulty you are having.

Thanks....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve owned both the 2-bag and 3-bag Power Flo Systems. I mow 5 acres.

Were I to choose again, my decision would be weighed mostly heavily on how often I will use it during the mowing season. I found the 2-bag unit far easier to mount, especially since I am an owner that does not want to scuff the bagger.

We don’t know your physical size and strength and if the ability to mount/dismount the bagger would be more or less important to you than the frequency of emptying the bags.

Do you or your salesman know someone who has a 3-bag unit so that you could get a feel for mounting one? Personally, if I mounted and dismounted it many times a year, I would purchase a 2-bag unit. If mounting only once or twice a year, I’d purchase a 3-bag unit.

Did you get mounting instructions with your Click-N-Go kit? My instructions are old (M146075 H2) as I’ve used the kit on 3 tractors, so the following may be of no help to you. But, if you google MX12064a, (from my “old” instructions) you can find a picture showing the mounting of the “angle brackets”, which may assist you with attaching them. The brackets fit on my X740’s and X758 without the interference you are experiencing. I hope you can see from the picture something that might beneficial to your mounting issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On another note how the heck to you get the left side nut and bolt for the L bracket installed for the Click-n-Go? I've tried switching them around and either way its hitting the bolt from the trans.[/QUOTE]

On the 758 the brackets mount behind the trans . I can not see the problem all 700 tractors should be all the same
My wife bolted them on and I hit them with the air wrench DONE :greentractorride:.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the 758 the brackets mount behind the trans . I can not see the problem all 700 tractors should be all the same
My wife bolted them on and I hit them with the air wrench DONE :greentractorride:.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a few pics this week and show what I have.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts