Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of a little edumacation please. While browsing some used X750's I noticed that the 2013 X750's had the traditional red fuel cap. The 2014 and newer X750's got a black with green center fuel cap. Was anything changed engine/emission wise after 2013? Plese dont tell me you have to use exhaust fluid in them.....
:dunno:

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
I'm in need of a little edumacation please. While browsing some used X750's I noticed that the 2013 X750's had the traditional red fuel cap. The 2014 and newer X750's got a black with green center fuel cap. Was anything changed engine/emission wise after 2013? Plese dont tell me you have to use exhaust fluid in them.....
Green means it is approved for bio-Diesel.

Did they change anything, or just do additional testing? I have no idea.

·
Administrator
17,117 Posts
Plese dont tell me you have to use exhaust fluid in them.....
You have to get up to a 5-series utility tractor before DEF is needed.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You have to get up to a 5-series utility tractor before DEF is needed.
Give it time. I am sure they will eventually require it on anything diesel someday.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
I was watching Liebherr videos from Bauma (Building Machinery) 2019 show in Germany and they mentioned some of their new engines are Tier 5 rated. I don't know what's all involved with the emissions requirements of each tier; but I suspect the higher the number, the higher the price and complexity.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tier 4 regulations exempt engines under 24 horsepower. There are some additional off-highway diesel engine exemptions that affect specific markets.
•Engines used in railway locomotives, those are subject to separate EPA regulations.
•Engines used in marine vessels, those are subject to separate EPA regulations.
•Engines used in underground mining equipment, these are regulated by MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration).
•Hobby engines (below 50 cubic cm per cylinder).

What Are Tier 4 Diesel Engine Standards And How Do They Affect You? | CrossCo

If you ever wondered why you only have a 24hp diesel in a lot of equipment that's why.

Tier 5 doesn't exist yet as a standard in the US but someday it will.

EU US Emission Standards For Diesel Engines In Forest Machines | Forestry.com

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Green means it is approved for bio-Diesel.

Did they change anything, or just do additional testing? I have no idea.
So did the other gas cap colors have a meaning? Red, black, green, black with green insert?

Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red had always been diesel up until the black/green that I asked about. Black= gas.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
The serial number break on the machines to determine which fuel cap applies is up to and through -020000 takes cap number AM123058 and serial number -020001 and higher takes cap number AM144789.

As usual, it appears Deere makes the changes more based upon the serial number than the model year.

While the green fuel caps indicate the machines can run on Biodiesel, I would avoid using Biodiesel like it was a plague. Biodiesel typically contains 6.5 to 10 TIMES the amount of Moisture in suspense than traditional diesel fuel.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/je300279c

Biodiesel will actually begin the process of "filter plugging" at temperatures ABOVE freezing due to the moisture content.

Water and diesel do not mix, at least not well..........I will run Bio diesel ONLY when no other diesel is available. And I will drive to get "real diesel", as it is higher in cetane, higher in energy production when it burns, has a lower filter plugging point.

Water is corrosive and alcohol is even worse. After all, water is used in water jets to cut steel......

Google Image Result for https://image.slidesharecdn.com/modelseminarpresentation-171209124337/95/biodiesel-seminar-presentation-11-638.jpg?cb=1512824029

Alcohol is very corrosive on injectors, injector pumps, etc. and requires the use of top oil lubricants.

No Biodiesel for me and my machines....................:doorclose::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
447 Posts
"after all water is used in water-jets to cut steel"

This is false.

Water is used to carry an abrasive slurry of material to cut steel. In other words a water-jets machine is just a ultra high precision sand blaster that can cut steel.

Water in and of itself is not abrasive. It is an extremely good solvent for materials found naturally on earth. Water can also suspended particles of abrasive material allowing the abrasive materials to act like sand paper.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts

This is false.

Water is used to carry an abrasive slurry of material to cut steel. In other words a water-jets machine is just a ultra high precision sand blaster that can cut steel.

Water in and of itself is not abrasive. It is an extremely good solvent for materials found naturally on earth. Water can also suspended particles of abrasive material allowing the abrasive materials to act like sand paper.
Most water jet cutters use abrasives, but not all. There are specialty applications.

As for the mechanism of water damaging injectors, it’s not really friction or inherent abrasiveness, but it’s a good way to generalize it. The end result is physical abrasion.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts

This is false.

I believe the abrasive of choice in water jets is garnet; but I'm sure other types are available depending on the application.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Tier 4 regulations exempt engines under 24 horsepower. There are some additional off-highway diesel engine exemptions that affect specific markets.
•Engines used in railway locomotives, those are subject to separate EPA regulations.
•Engines used in marine vessels, those are subject to separate EPA regulations.
•Engines used in underground mining equipment, these are regulated by MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration).
•Hobby engines (below 50 cubic cm per cylinder).

What Are Tier 4 Diesel Engine Standards And How Do They Affect You? | CrossCo

If you ever wondered why you only have a 24hp diesel in a lot of equipment that's why.

Tier 5 doesn't exist yet as a standard in the US but someday it will.

EU US Emission Standards For Diesel Engines In Forest Machines | Forestry.com
And this is why things are so blasted expensive as the logistics to keep up with all these regulations along with the design, manufacturing, storage, and transport of all these various parts is not cheap.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The serial number break on the machines to determine which fuel cap applies is up to and through -020000 takes cap number AM123058 and serial number -020001 and higher takes cap number AM144789.

As usual, it appears Deere makes the changes more based upon the serial number than the model year.

While the green fuel caps indicate the machines can run on Biodiesel, I would avoid using Biodiesel like it was a plague. Biodiesel typically contains 6.5 to 10 TIMES the amount of Moisture in suspense than traditional diesel fuel.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/je300279c

Biodiesel will actually begin the process of "filter plugging" at temperatures ABOVE freezing due to the moisture content.

Water and diesel do not mix, at least not well..........I will run Bio diesel ONLY when no other diesel is available. And I will drive to get "real diesel", as it is higher in cetane, higher in energy production when it burns, has a lower filter plugging point.

Water is corrosive and alcohol is even worse. After all, water is used in water jets to cut steel......

Google Image Result for https://image.slidesharecdn.com/modelseminarpresentation-171209124337/95/biodiesel-seminar-presentation-11-638.jpg?cb=1512824029

Alcohol is very corrosive on injectors, injector pumps, etc. and requires the use of top oil lubricants.

No Biodiesel for me and my machines....................:doorclose::thumbsdown:
Can't agree more except for the part on abrasiveness of water. Bio diesel is about as good as ethanol for destruction to engines and fuel systems. One winter I helped out in a chainsaw shop and 1/2 of the machines that came in had fuel related problems.:banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts