Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Site tube was so discolored I couldn't tell if there was any fluid in it. I tried to wipe it, and it snapped like a cracker. The entire tube just fell off. Got new tube, but I didn't replace the little filter looking thing in the line. And, no fluid shows in the tube even though it won't accept any more fluid. Just what is that little filter looking thing and what is it's function?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sgt, The filter is simply a vent. Your hydro is a sealed unit and the filter "vents" the site tube allowing oil to flow into the site tube. Remove filter and examine closely. You should find a small (1/16" ??) hole on one end of the outside. Make sure this hole is open and reinstall filter with hole facing upward. Bob

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a ton, RW. I saw the little hole when I was putting it back together. When nothing would come into the tube, and I couldn't get any fluid into the reservoir, I started to wonder about that little hole.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can any one post a picture of this site tube or make a better reference where it is on the axle. I have a 69 140 h3 and I dont recall ever seeing or reading about a sight glass . I have the book for mine it does not make reference to sight glass but it does reference the filter or vent on the rh side of the axle above the drain plug . I hope I'm not missing something asmy tractor runs great with newly rebuilt 16 hp engine . And I also have a spare hydro for it that does not have a sight glass that Im aware of .

·
Registered
873 Posts
Rob, The 69 140 shouldn't have a site tube, just a dipstick. It should be to the rear of the axle on the right side of the hydro. Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's what I thought . Thanks for your reply . I thought I was missing something lol . I just finished Servicing with oil change and had a challenging time getting the oil level to do the level on the dipstick. A sight glass would be nice but I'm just happy I have done everything necessary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts