Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 4wd 1445 to replace an orange ZD21 for mowing around the house on our hilltop farm. 1780hrs, no smoke, runs great. 60" 7 iron deck has many welded crack repairs. New driveshaft to 4wd steering axle. Oil changed at 1750hrs. Overall appeared to be a good machine. Auction purchase, so as-is, where-is. Price was better than i thought it would go for.

Now for the woes. Got it home and proceeded test mow a patch around shop. Found that the transaxle has no drive. All drive force is coming from the steering axle. Jacked it up on one corner and the tire spins completely free. No resistance at all. I"m guessing a blown diff in the transaxle. Anyone have experience with or heard of this type of issue on the 1445? Was hoping to list the ZD21 this week, but i can't go without a mower for the yard. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Service manual already purchased and on its way. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I confirmed that the diff lock functions on the right side, but nothing on the left side. I drained oil and fished around inside the case through the drain hole. I can identify a gear tooth in the pile of metal that came out. Me thinks it may be the diff gears.

It appears that i can pull the right axle housing and diff cover to access the diff carrier. Manual says to pull entire hydrostat/transaxle assembly. Is it really necessary?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I confirmed that the transaxle needs to be pulled out in order to remove the right side axle assembly. The right side brake actuator has about 1/4" clearance to the frame mounting flange. Needs to have a little over 1" to remove the splines from the diff housing. At least there's not a lot of stuff to remove.

My mower's front tires weigh about 75 lbs each. Looks like they are filled with urethane rubber. They are still slightly spongy and the valve cores are removed. There are drips from the bead on the wheel paint that can be peeled/rubbed off. Anyone have experience with foam filled tires?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts