Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
For $295 it's worth the gamble IMO, you'd get more than that for scrap around here if it turned out not to salvageable.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
For $295 it's worth the gamble IMO, you'd get more than that for scrap around here if it turned out not to salvageable.
the OP didn't say how far it the baler is from his home. reason i say is-usually the tires never make it home without a blow out:laugh:

but yeah-heck what do u get now a days for $300:dunno::munch:

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
the OP didn't say how far it the baler is from his home. reason i say is-usually the tires never make it home with a blow out:laugh:

but yeah-heck what do u get now a days for $300:dunno::munch:
Very true, and the tires are most certainly dry rotted, so I agree, I guess it would depend on how far and by what means of transport will be used.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
This could be a money pit starting with getting it home.

I would walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahh-where's the excitement in that at.:mocking:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
1I have a 14t and a 24. I have had no problems getting parts for them. Like others have said, if it’s not to far away worth it, and can get that in scrap if worst came to worst.

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Is there any way to tell if a baler is twine or wire? Seller was. A her and she's selling it because her husband passed. Might be a stupid question.
If it is a 14T, the T stands for twine.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any way to tell if a baler is twine or wire? Seller was. A her and she's selling it because her husband passed. Might be a stupid question.
If it is a 14T, the T stands for twine.
Told you it was a stupid question, haha. Thanks.

One tire is trash. She mentioned if I could get a trailer but I'll have to call and see if she has a way to get it on the trailer. Ended up having to rush back to work so didn't get to ask everything I wanted to. It looks pretty good not real rusty, knotters are clean. The needles are removed though. She said her husband got really sick and couldn't work on it or much else before he passed. But they are sitting with the baler. If I find a way to get this thing home, are there any big things I should check for that I maybe missed?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I guess just make sure all the parts are there. Knoters are complete etc. Everything is moving free.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Told you it was a stupid question, haha. Thanks.

One tire is trash. She mentioned if I could get a trailer but I'll have to call and see if she has a way to get it on the trailer. Ended up having to rush back to work so didn't get to ask everything I wanted to. It looks pretty good not real rusty, knotters are clean. The needles are removed though. She said her husband got really sick and couldn't work on it or much else before he passed. But they are sitting with the baler. If I find a way to get this thing home, are there any big things I should check for that I maybe missed?
probably gonna half to retime it-if the needles are out of it?? i would think-maybe. i wonder why he took the needles out of it-in the first place:dunno:
my one pap had a14t--and he broke the tip of one needle off, one time. man that was over 50 some yrs ago for me-wooh. long time ago.

if u do buy it-and get it home-i think i would get a manual for it right away. good luck.sounds like u got ur mind kinda made up already:laugh:

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
I would grease it in accordance with the manual. Check the gear lube in the gear boxes.

Do not hook it up to a PTO shaft until you run it through several tying cycles by hand. After you thread it, also tie a few knots running it through by hand. You shouldn't have to time it unless something has broken and not been repaired. Make sure the plunger stop pivots are lubed and free. If it is out of time you will not be able to run it through a cycle by hand. The plunger stop will come up and not allow the plunger to contact the needles.

For as long as it has set, I would remove all of the shear bolts and pins to be sure that they will move freely. There will be a flywheel shear bolt (there are two different ones by serial number), a shear bolt or pin for the auger, and a shear pin in the needle lift link. The OM will show where all of them are. It seems to me that there are four all together, but I can't remember where the fourth one is. Be careful installing the needles. They are adjustable and need to be in the correct place when they place twine in the knotters. I know that I have probably left a lot out, but it has been a long time. Does it have a bale ejector?

Keep us posted. It feels real good inside when you tie the first pair of knots.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I leaned to bale with one of these. Learned how to curse too. Those flywheel shear bolts and I kept the hardware store in business.

Actually it wasn’t that bad. Ran it with a JD620 which made a nice combination.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Truckfarmer55 here are those pics of left and right tire. 4 lug on right and 6 on left(Drivers side). Hope this helps and good luck:good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Thank you much! From other pictures I found online it looks intact with the exception of the needles being undone from the baler. It looks like a wheel off my 494 A will fit almost identically to the 4 lug side.
Yes 4 bolt implement wheel from 494 planter will fit on RH side of 14T. Any 6 bolt implement wheel should fit on flywheel side of baler. Sq balers don't fit on trailers very easy or well. If I was going to transport baler I'd tow it. Having needles removed won't affect baler timing but it would still be good idea to check timing. Also ditto on checking for correct operation of PH stop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts