Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently added a 60 inch snow blower to the front of my 2wd 1550 Terrain cut machine. I currently have the chains on the front two drive tires and also two suitcase weights on the back. What I am noticing is that when I put the blower down it seems to slightly lift my front tires up reducing my traction. Is there something I can do to correct this? Wheel weights? I am assuming more rear weight will not help? When I have the blower lifted, I am not having any issue with stirring or lack of traction.

I am also trying to put it in the float mode when dropping the blower to see if that prevents the front wheels from lifting, however I am not sure I am doing it correctly as the wheels still lift.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi,

I have recently added a 60 inch snow blower to the front of my 2wd 1550 Terrain cut machine. I currently have the chains on the front two drive tires and also two suitcase weights on the back. What I am noticing is that when I put the blower down it seems to slightly lift my front tires up reducing my traction. Is there something I can do to correct this? Wheel weights? I am assuming more rear weight will not help? When I have the blower lifted, I am not having any issue with stirring or lack of traction.

I am also trying to put it in the float mode when dropping the blower to see if that prevents the front wheels from lifting, however I am not sure I am doing it correctly as the wheels still lift.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Eric
I would never use down pressure on a tractor mounted snowblower. The weight of the blower should be sufficient to get to the ground unless you are going too fast or the snow is hard packed from vehicles. Down pressure will increase the load on the drive wheels and reduce your steering capability not to mention wear your cutter out quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I don't believe I am using down pressure. As indicated in the JD manual, I push the control slightly forward until it catches and I release it and the plow continues to drop to the ground. The blower is too heavy to lift myself when in the float mode to confirm it comes up.

Eric

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes I don't believe I am using down pressure. As indicated in the JD manual, I push the control slightly forward until it catches and I release it and the plow continues to drop to the ground. The blower is too heavy to lift myself when in the float mode to confirm it comes up.

Eric
Weight on the drive wheels would help if you are having difficulty pushing that big blower around. You need the machine weight and power to counter the weight of the blower in addition to snow depth and conditions.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hi,

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Eric
When you push the lever forward to lower,once it contacts the ground if you continue moving the lever forward it will sort of click that is float mode.You should be in float mode when mowing also.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Eric
This is one of those backwards lawn mowers.

Definitely make sure you are using the float when working. I assume that that mower is capable of down pressure. Never messed with one. Otherwise gravity is just pulling your mower/blower down. If you have DP you should be able to lift your drive wheels off the ground.

Your drive wheels will slightly unload even in float mode. This is because the tractor is not supporting the blower's weight. It's sitting on the ground. Could this be what you are seeing?
Adding weights to the drive wheels should help the traction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a very good point. Perhaps when I am placing the blower on the ground it is returning the front tires back to the normal position without the load of the blower when it is raised.

Does anyone have a 1500 series machine that can confirm exactly how I get it into float mode? I am starting to wonder if it even has down pressure because when I release the handle from the most forward position it seems to return back to the slightly forward float position (or what I think is float) appose to neutral.

My manual instructs:

To raise attachment: Pull lever rearward. Attachment will rise up until level is released, or attachment reaches top of travel, whichever occurs first.

To lower attachment: Push the lever forward. Attachment will lower until lever is released, or attachment reaches the ground, whichever occurs first.

To float attachment: Push the lever forward until it latches into the float position. Attachment will rise and lower as needed to follow contour of ground.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
That is a very good point. Perhaps when I am placing the blower on the ground it is returning the front tires back to the normal position without the load of the blower when it is raised.

Does anyone have a 1500 series machine that can confirm exactly how I get it into float mode? I am starting to wonder if it even has down pressure because when I release the handle from the most forward position it seems to return back to the slightly forward float position (or what I think is float) appose to neutral.

My manual instructs:

To raise attachment: Pull lever rearward. Attachment will rise up until level is released, or attachment reaches top of travel, whichever occurs first.

To lower attachment: Push the lever forward. Attachment will lower until lever is released, or attachment reaches the ground, whichever occurs first.

To float attachment: Push the lever forward until it latches into the float position. Attachment will rise and lower as needed to follow contour of ground.

Thanks!
The lever will click into float mode. The lever will stay in that position. All the way forward. There is no down pressure.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

My manual instructs:

Thanks!
If I was using your machine for snow removal. I'd get wheel weights all the way around if you can.
This should help traction with the bigger drive wheels.
Weights on the small wheels will help with steering. Especially when the blower is in the up position.
You might also be able to mount some more suitcase weights on the back. This should also help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have contacted the local dealer to get some information on wheel weights. They are suppose to get back to me as they were having trouble finding the right ones.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on wheel weights:

-BM17972 (50 lb plate)
-BM17973 (72 lb starter weight)
-BM17976 (50 lb plastic cover)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have contacted the local dealer to get some information on wheel weights. They are suppose to get back to me as they were having trouble finding the right ones.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on wheel weights:

-BM17972 (50 lb plate)
-BM17973 (72 lb starter weight)
-BM17976 (50 lb plastic cover)
Did a little digging on your numbers.
76 is a cement weight covered in plastic. You can only use one per wheel. All weights are usually solid separately.

73 should be a cast iron weight. This one has to be installed first. This is why it's called a starter weight.
72 can be added to the outside of 73 to increase the weight another 50 lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The local dealer is suggesting the 50 lb plate BM17972 with hardware BM18101. However they are not guaranteeing it will work based on what sounds like a flaw in distribution. This is the email sent from Deere to my dealer suggesting I may need new rims. Can anyone make sense of it and use my pictures to determine if it will work. I was just going to order and return if they didn't work, but they will charge me a 15% stocking fee.

From Deere:

Use BM17972 with BM18101, what may happen is when they welded the center section in it was not in the right location from the stem. When welded, the stem is centered or at a 45 degree angle from the two bumped areas on the rim. If not will have what you are seeing and if not, need to order new rims and scrap these.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The local dealer is suggesting the 50 lb plate BM17972 with hardware BM18101. However they are not guaranteeing it will work based on what sounds like a flaw in distribution. This is the email sent from Deere to my dealer suggesting I may need new rims. Can anyone make sense of it and use my pictures to determine if it will work. I was just going to order and return if they didn't work, but they will charge me a 15% stocking fee.

From Deere:

Use BM17972 with BM18101, what may happen is when they welded the center section in it was not in the right location from the stem. When welded, the stem is centered or at a 45 degree angle from the two bumped areas on the rim. If not will have what you are seeing and if not, need to order new rims and scrap these.
After looking till my eyes were crossed. Think I have an answer.

Dealership said to use a cast iron plate on each wheel.
2 of the 4 square holes in the wheels will be used to bolt on the weights.
The weights come predrilled for the mounting bolts. They also come with a cut out for the valve stem. So the weights don't have to come off every time you want to check the pressure.
The center of the wheel (part with the lugs and square holes) was not clocked correctly in relation to the valve stem.
So no matter what pare of square holes you use to try and bolt the weight on with. The valve stem will be in the way and not line up with the cut outs.

Top picture the stem is about even between the square holes.
Bottom picture the stem is closer to one hole than the other.

Also your wheels don't look deep enough for the 72 lbs starter weight. So you are just using a 50 lbs plate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the information. I doubled checked and yes the one rim stem looks centred and the other one is slightly off. However, it is fairly close and you really have to look to notice it. It appears the valve stem hole on the weight provides a little room each way for error. Do you think that will be suffice?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thank you for the information. I doubled checked and yes the one rim stem looks centred and the other one is slightly off. However, it is fairly close and you really have to look to notice it. It appears the valve stem hole on the weight provides a little room each way for error. Do you think that will be suffice?

Hard to say without actually trying one to see if it lines up.

Filling the tires with fluid is another option. Seen a lot of posts on what fluid to use and how to install it.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You don’t have to get the hardware kit from Deere. I picked up 2 sets of 50 lbs weights off Craig’s list. I got some left over thread rod and nuts from work. I chose to use 4 bolts per weight , but just using 2 bolts should be fine.

You should be able to save a bit of money by getting the hardware from a local hardware store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys. I did pick up the 17972 wheel weight and I have run into another issue. I am assuming based on the pictures I am seeing online that the weight is to be position so the inlet holes for the nut go on and facing out. However the rims seem to be too shallow, not allowing the middle notch to be pushed in far enough. So I had to bolt them on the other way. I have attached a few photos. Any guidance or thoughts? Is this okay? Thanks

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts