Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father had one of these and I learned to mow with it back in the 90s/early 00's. I wanted a summer project to take my mind off work. I happened to find one that was built the same year I was born so the stars were aligned and I had to have it. So I found one that needed some love but wasn't totally destroyed. I wish I took more photos of the before because it would be much more dramatic of the after.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

I had to replace the pto switch because it was worn out and would keep the ignition from working. The button for raising the deck was gone so I needed that and the spring and that pretty much took care of the mechanical. The tires were original and were bald. So while I was changing out the tires, I painted the wheels since the original owner had them the wrong color. They were more cub cadet yellow.

I came across a NOS bagger system in the original packaging and that's where the project got out of hand. It wouldn't make much sense to have this brand new bagger that I paid way too much for bolted to this half effort restore. So I tore almost everything a part and began putting new paint on it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Pollution
Green Grass Sewing machine Sewing needle Font

I had the deck and mounting hardware powdercoated since I wasn't real impressed at the durability of the rattle can paint. I should have done that with the fender deck. I finished it off with new stickers.
Toy Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow Vehicle

So I ended up replacing the seat, most stickers, the throttle, ignition, pto switch, grill emblem, the spring next to the hydro transmission, brake pads, tires, belts, chute/hardware, and I'm sure I've forgotten what else. I'd never get what I have into it if I were to sell it, but this was a sentimental endeavor.

Plant Tire Riding mower Wheel Tractor
Tire Wheel Plant Lawn mower Riding mower

Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle

Thanks for checking it out.

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Looks good. I bought a new 175 Hydro in 1987 and sold it 25 years later. It still worked just like it did when new. I needed something with a differential lock and got a X500.

The only thing replaced was the seat and rear tires. It even still has the white sticker on the hood that the original dealer stuck on. At the time the engine oil filter kit was an option, which I had the dealer install prior to delivery.

That was a good machine.

Wheel Tire Riding mower Plant Vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts