Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
We have a d105 (never again - was not involved in the decision making process...), wondering how it would go with a 17p? Would only be used for lugging gardening equipment, soils, plants, maybe the odd bit of gravel etc, have other tractors/trailers for anything much heavier. Preference would be the 17p over the 10p for usefulness obviously but not at the expense of the d105.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
My brother has a LA105 and pulls a metal lawn cart that is as big as the 17P but much heavier even when empty. I've had the 17P myself for many years. The 17P is very lightweight by itself and should easily perform the tasks you have planned for it.

I too have had heavy metal carts in the past but enjoy the ease of handling the 17P. I can move it in and out of the garage effortlessly and I like that the poly tub is impervious to dings, dents and rust.

The **only** downside to the 17P is that due to the up-swept shape of the tail section it will not dump cleanly like a traditional box-style cart. But in the 8 years or so of ownership it has not been a problem for me.

Don't waste your money on the 10P.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doesn't the D105 have that wonder CVT transmission? I don't think I would do anything to add stress to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't the D105 have that wonder CVT transmission? I don't think I would do anything to add stress to it.
If that’s the plastic one, yep.... that’s the main reason I’m hesitant. We have just replaced the variator pulley I think it was, which had worn down to round as opposed to hexagonal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see not a lot of these fail, but more as time goes on. Leaking axle seals, debris issues, belts, broken variators. One of my parts distributors used to carry parts for them, but not anymore. The company sells replacement parts and completes using Amazon as their distributor network now I guess.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
No reason at all NOT to get the 17P. You can always load it a bit lighter, but when you upgrade tractors later, you will still have the larger capacity.
Then again, it looks awful small behind my 2025...but great behind the 318!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I agree with the idea of getting the 17, and loading it lighter for now as the D105 most definitely WON’T be around forever and the next one we buy certainly would be up to the job.
I’m in Australia and our prices on them here are crazy to say the least (dollar conversion works out to be nearly $600 US for the 17p, about $350 US for the 10p) so trying to convince my husband that the bigger one is a necessity. Do think long term we won’t regret having more capacity.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I agree with the idea of getting the 17, and loading it lighter for now as the D105 most definitely WON’T be around forever and the next one we buy certainly would be up to the job.
I’m in Australia and our prices on them here are crazy to say the least (dollar conversion works out to be nearly $600 US for the 17p, about $350 US for the 10p) so trying to convince my husband that the bigger one is a necessity. Do think long term we won’t regret having more capacity.
I would go for the 17 and not look back.

While you don't have to fill it up with heavy stuff, often you are moving bulky stuff like leaves, and the extra capacity is useful.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
Do you have access to Brinly equipment in Australia? https://brinly.com/product-category/carts/

They make the 10P and 17P carts for JD. They are pretty much identical except the tubs are black. Around here the Brinly version of the 17P cart can be had for $100-150 LESS than the JD 17P.

I also just noticed that Agri-Fab is also selling their version of the 17P cart. Currently at Lowe's it is $319.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Agri-Fab-17-cu-ft-Poly-Dump-Cart/1000179671

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No unfortunately we don’t have Brinly, I’d looked into that already, I’d say shipping it over would negate any savings unfortunately. There are a few other generic ones available over here but wouldn’t be as large and probably not the same quality either.
Think you lot have convinced me, 17p it is, husband will get over it after he realizes I’ve saved him multiple wheelbarrow loads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, purchased the 17p, no regrets, glad I went with that over the 10p. The D105 seems to be handling it fine so far. Only using it for weeds so far and loaded to the top with rye grass obviously hasn’t put much strain on it and will be cautious with how much we put in it. Ended up getting it about $80 cheaper than the going rate in Australia so happy with that, made the price difference between the two sizes much easier to swallow. Wouldn’t have mattered though, once husband and I saw the two sizes next to each other all of a sudden the 10p wasn’t big enough, would have been fine had I not seen the 17p sitting next to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you got the 17p!!!

Now "trying to convince my husband " wow, I like you! Other way around in my house. :)

Haha there is a fair bit of compromise in both directions, but mainly I’m really really good at justifying any purchases. Either that or he gives up early because he knows I’ll wear him down eventually and he knows he’s saving us both the hassle. 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts