Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi- first time poster. We have a 1050 with brush hog and a 214, but I just rescued my daughter's 180 which has been "retired" in her barn for about 10 years.

After cleaning it up, vacuuming and blowing the mouse nest out from around the cylinder head, replacing the battery, spark plug, air filter, fresh gas, and one front tire it fired back to life! I have the mower deck pulled off to weld on a front roller bracket and clean it up. The PTO sounds like it's engaging.

The problem is the tractor won't go! My daughter says that it drove when she parked it, and that they had the transmission rebuilt shortly after they bought it (used). The shifter moves into all positions and underneath I can see the linkage move the lever arm going into the top of the transmission. The clutch is working and the belt is turning the pulley on top of the transmission. I see a sensor on top of the transmission that from the parts diagram is the neutral start sensor. It starts so that's not the problem. If I jack up the back both wheels turn freely in both directions no matter what gear the lever is in.

It feels like the classic racer's "box full of neutrals". Are there any other lockouts that could be causing this? I've rebuilt the transmission of my old Craftsman rototiller so I can "go in there" if I have to, but that's my last resort.

Any troubleshooting advice is very welcome- thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Most likely whoever took the wheels off lost the key that makes the axle turn the wheel. The other option is that the differential inside the transaxle is broken.

I would remove both wheels and see if the key is still there. If not, you will need to get some key material and cut some new keys.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Or paint/scratch/mark a line across the end of axle and hub of wheel -- and see if axle turns relative to wheel...
(maybe pop off plastic cap first, if they are still in place)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most likely whoever took the wheels off lost the key that makes the axle turn the wheel. The other option is that the differential inside the transaxle is broken.

I would remove both wheels and see if the key is still there. If not, you will need to get some key material and cut some new keys.
Bingo! That was going to be my next step anyway to get better access to the transmission. Sure enough the right wheel key is missing. So it acts just as if one wheel is spinning in the mud. Thanks Frogmore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts