Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what the normal was for hydraulic fluid. Mine seems to get really hot after a couple of hours of running the tractor. For instance if you touch the steering column for over a second, you’re gonna get a blister. Also starts getting a humming/vibration back around the rear axle. I’ve changed fluid and all filters and power
Washed the cooler right in front of the radiator.

Thanks in advance,
Murph

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
So is this a 2030 JD

But yours is the Canadian version?....1830

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Edit your thread title to add 2030 as well as 1830.

You only have 12 hrs or whatever to do this..(it gets locked after 12 or 24 hrs.).It will get more attention with the addition perhaps.

Are you in Canada or where?

some good reading material while you wait..

All hydraulics quit on the 2030

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
IMHO whether the tractor is a 1830 or 2030 is immaterial because the closed center hyd systems on most JD tractors of that era are very similar. Hyd temp of an operating tractor should be ambient temp plus 100°. CC hyd component that's hot enough to give one a blister if touched probably has an internal high pressure leak. My guess is 1 or more of the 6 large o-rings(key 18) in steering housing are leaking. These o-rings can be replaced by removing steering valve shaft from housing while housing remains attached to tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO whether the tractor is a 1830 or 2030 is immaterial because the closed center hyd systems on most JD tractors of that era are very similar. Hyd temp of an operating tractor should be ambient temp plus 100°. CC hyd component that's hot enough to give one a blister if touched probably has an internal high pressure leak. My guess is 1 or more of the 6 large o-rings(key 18) in steering housing are leaking. These o-rings can be replaced by removing steering valve shaft from housing while housing remains attached to tractor.
You may have nailed it. It does leak oil from the steering column. I was unaware that a leak would increase temp. Thanks Jim.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
TxJim beat me to it, he must be an early riser! :flag_of_truce:

Ambient + 100° F is a good rule of thumb.

High heat is where to look for the internal leak.

So far no power steering issues for me. Loose steering is different story :flag_of_truce:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a pretty good drip underneath (clutch area). That may not be what yal are talking about when you say internal leak. I’m curious though how that would make it heat up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pushing hyd oil through a tiny opening at high pressure creates heat,a lot of heat. I doubt the leak under clutch housing is causing the hyd component to be HOT.
Ok, that makes sense now! Thanks for the explanation. Boy, sounds like that’s gonna be fun to find! Guess I’ll just have to live with it for now

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
IMHO simplest approach to diagnostics for hot hyd oil is remove & cap pressure source on supply line to power steering. Then operate tractor long enough to get oil to operating temp then check temp of steering housing & other hyd components.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMHO simplest approach to diagnostics for hot hyd oil is remove & cap pressure source on supply line to power steering. Then operate tractor long enough to get oil to operating temp then check temp of steering housing & other hyd components.
Thanks Jim. Was wondering how in the heck you’d find the leak.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Pull the column apart and look for broken o rings. I have not done it, but TxJim says there are 6 that go bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pull the column apart and look for broken o rings. I have not done it, but TxJim says there are 6 that go bad.
Will do. May be this winter, though. I’ve got a small tractor business and can’t really shut down right now. Thanks for the response!
Murph

1 - 19 of 19 Posts