Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from you guys who have experience with an 18V impact wrench. I'm considering the Dewalt DC820KA from Amazon. It's a hefty little impact wrench for its size . . . 1/2" drive, 145 ft-lbs torque, two Ni-Cad batteries (as opposed to the preferred Lithium Ion).

Amazon doesn't offer this as a kit with the lithium ion batteries . . . and if you shop around the lithium batteries are almost prohibitively expensive. In this case I decided Ni-Cad would do.

You guys who use impact drivers . . . Reckon this impact wrench would so some of the medium to heavy duty jobs like loosening the mower blade bolts or hopefully loosening auto lug nuts?

I recently bought a Dewalt 12V drill/impact driver set and am amazed at the power the little combo has, but it won't handle the really heavy duty jobs that crop up occasionally.

Any advice will be appreciated . . . :hi:

·
Administrator
22,588 Posts
I believe the corded version has more power and cheaper to boot. Pneumatic impact guns are even more powerful and even cheaper, but you have to have air.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I should have mentioned that I need to use this impact wrench in an area where power is not readily available. Also, would like to keep it in the truck for possible use in changing tires in case of a flat.

That's why I mentioned the lug nuts . . . probably a gamble but some of the Amazon reviews lead one to believe it might be able to break a lug nut loose . . .

Thanks, Jason, for the prompt reply!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can't speak of the dewalt, but my son has a 18v Snap On that he uses at work and loves it. He says he uses it more than his air guns.:drinks:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had the Dewalt 18V 1/2" impact for about 5 years, and love it, it will break loose auto/truck lug nuts with no problem, I just used it to remove the lugs on the front wheels of my 2520 which I had torqued at 133ft-lbs, no problem, I remove my mower deck blades every year for sharpening, I also us it on my hobby cars & trucks for anything that the smaller hex impact can't, engine & exhaust, & suspension work, now that I have a garage I will be getting a compressor and air tools, but both the 18V 1/2" & 3/8" impacts will still be used quite a bit around the farm where there is no power or air.

I also take it & a torque wrench on trips in case I need to change a tire on the truck or the horse trailer too.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the help, fellows. And, Apache . . . your comment is similar to some of the reviews I read on Amazon. Certainly, the 20V tools offer somewhat more power but I already have a couple tools which use the 18V batteries. So, guess I'll stick to that.

I'm about to place an order with Amazon . . . if things don't work out, they have a very liberal return policy . . . :hide:

·
Administrator
23,165 Posts
I'm about to place an order with Amazon . . . if things don't work out, they have a very liberal return policy . . . :hide:
Please dont forget to use out new tool store ;)

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kenny,
I would like to use the tool store, but best I can tell I can't take advantage of Prime shipping if I do.

Maybe you can correct me on this . . .

·
Administrator
23,165 Posts
Kenny,
I would like to use the tool store, but best I can tell I can't take advantage of Prime shipping if I do.

Maybe you can correct me on this . . .
We will look into it...

·
Administrator
22,588 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have 2 18v impacts a compact 1/2" and the big 1/2" they work so so. The big one will not take the lug nuts off of a 3/4 ton truck. I have to break them loose by hand or use my air impact.. The cordless impacts work great for cars, running lag bolts and what not, will not losen anything thats very tight. .

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPS delivered the 18V Dewalt impact wrench about 5 pm today. Charged the battery just over an hour and put it to work.

I recently received the new JD iMatch with the adjustable top link. Whoever tightened the two bolts that hold the top link did a yeoman job. I had tried a couple days ago to loosen the nuts holding the top link and with my 1/2" rachet wrench and a two foot cheater bar, could not come close to breaking the nuts loose. Was hot here that day and I soon gave up.

After charging the 18V battery, I took the new impact wrench out to the tractor storage shed. Took the wrench about ten seconds of concentrated effort before spinning off the first nut. Second was about the same. And this was on a pair of nuts I could not budge with a two foot cheater bar. Needless to say, I'm impressed with my new impact wrench and feel it will be a keeper! :good2:

So, thanks to all of you who offered advice and encouragement either on the forum or via PM's.

Really appreciate your help and understanding! :hi:

·
Registered
28 Posts
As with other tasks in life, lubrication and vibration are the key to removing stuck threaded fasteners. Heat and dry ice may also be enlisted as the need arises. A cheater bar is the absolute worst way to do it and most likely to result in injury or broken parts.

My 3/4" milwaukee electric impact took off my 170,000 mile old truck hubs without any problems. I sprayed them with penetrating oil first, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then hammered on them for about 20 seconds, sprayed with oil again, hammered for 20 seconds, sprayed with oil, and they came loose with the third bout of hammering. This was with a 1-3/4" socket.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Good call on the 18v compact impacts. I've been running them for about 6 years. I have one with the square 1/2", and a couple with the hex. They're very nice and compact, and they provide a tremendous amount of torque without twisting the crap out of your wrist. They can be loud when hammering though, so earplugs are a good idea.

I have a full complement of 18v dewalt tools, so I'm married to the 18v for now. The only job that the compact has not been able to complete nicely was putting in 3/8" x 7" lag bolts for my post and rail fence. I had to go out and buy a corded 1/2" for that - now that thing is a beast!! It's put in 100's, maybe even 1000's, of lags over the past month, and turns a big 3 5/8" self feed Forstner bit without any problems.

eBay is a great source for bare tools (most are reconditioned, but work fine) and batteries. I have purchased 5 packs of 18v batteries for ~120$.

Good buy!!

-J.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.