Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I made a deal on this a couple of weeks ago. We are going to pick it up tomorrow. Needs a new mag and it should run. I have no worries. I know the owner, he's a big collector.

MCD 10-20.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Great buy. Can't wait for updates. Will this one be kept in the driveway at the house?:dunno:
:lol: That's mean:mocking:

She hasn't said we couldn't. I'm guessing she hasn't thought about the steel wheels.:laugh:

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Are you going to restore it, or leave it as is; but running?
Right now my son wants to leave it as it is, but running.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
We went to pick it up but, it wouldn't shift. It was stuck in gear. We pulled it out of the barn and into the shop. He wasn't go to let it leave with out the tranny working right. We took a couple covers off and didn't see a problem so we drained the tranny thinking maybe there was some water in there.

We heated up the plug after it wouldn't move. No water, the 90 wt was cold and thick. It came out like soft-serve ice cream. It sat on top of the drain pan it was so thick. After that drained out it shifted fine.

After we got it home Dirty decided he should finish his sickle bar project to make room for it in the shop. I was going to just put it in the shed. As I feared pushing it off the trailer got a little tough as we hit the 3 foot of soft ground in front of the shop. It wasn't hardly parked and he was tearing into it.:mocking:

I kinda forgot about pictures.

Attachments

Super Moderator
We heated up the plug after it wouldn't move. No water, the 90 wt was cold and thick. It came out like soft-serve ice cream. It sat on top of the drain pan it was so thick. After that drained out it shifted fine.
That gear lube was most likely mineral oil. It has an unmistakable foul odor to it. Years ago I worked on some old trucks that used mineral oil in the differentials and transmissions. When cold that stuff was as thick as grease.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
It was gear lube. Actually smelled pretty fresh. The PO said they had it in the shop for about 2 weeks 2-4 years ago. He replaced the head gasket and did some other work to it including replacing a stuck main bearing. He also had the radiator redone. Cast iron radiator, seemed light for cast iron.:mocking: He went on to other projects and moved this to the barn.

It has a sling oil system. Before you start it you have to put a little oil in the valve cover to oil the leathers so they can drip on the valves. It will run on Kerosene or gas. You have to make a couple of quick changes to switch fuels. I don't see us running on kerosene.:gizmo:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
We have it in the shop. Dirty's been tearing into it. I took a few pics today.
Hand Holes.jpg

These are the hand holes on the left side of the block. Pretty cool to be able to look right in there. The gasket os just a piece of rubber.

Intake.jpg

You can see the cover on the intake to change from kerosene to gas,

Valve train.jpg

The valve train. Notice the felt in the trays to drip oil onto the valves and push rods. You're suppose to oil it before starting by running oil down to small holes in the valve cover.

Registered
A truly old tractor like this one is pretty high up on my bucket list. Very cool indeed!

In 1926, this may have been the very first tractor on somebody's farm. 91 years ago, it was someone's pride and joy. Do you know anything about its past?

Premium Member
Very nice find, WOW 91 yrs old :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I only know of the last 20 years. The guy I bought it from has had it that long. It had a stuck main bearing when he got it. He replaced the bearing and had the radiator redone. When he got the radiator back he moved it into the barn with his collection and didn't continue to try to get it running. He stole the mag off it for a jeep project he was working on. He said he had it back it the shop somewhere between 2 and 4 years ago and that was the last time it saw daylight.

Judging from the great condition of the rear cleats and front wheels it's either been used a lot and they were replaced or it was never used much. Dirty has been working on freeing other parts up and replaced the oilers with grease zerks. He kept all the oilers. Last night he pulled the fuel tank so we can clean it. It was about half full of kerosene.

I've located a couple of collectors in the area. Both have running 10-20, so that should help. One guy has a shed full of old Deerings I'm told.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I learned a little more about the history yesterday. The PO bought it from a farm where it had sat for 20 years in a barn. So it hasn't run in probably 40 years.

We took a cup like cover off the top of the transmission wondering what it was. Under the cup was a cylindrical piece of steel wrapped in newspaper, then a cover to the tranny for the implement belt pulley gears. We're not sure what the steel piece was for but it must have been noisy and that's why it was wrapped in paper.

The newspaper was the Chicago Tribune. An article was about an upcoming football game between Wisconsin and Northwestern. The coach was Glenn Thistlethwaite. He coached WI from 1927-1931. Prior to that he was the coach at Northwestern. Just for the record, Northwestern won 7-0.

The gears were black from the dried gear lube/oil. We cleaned them up and they look like new, no noticeable wear. One more thing that points to it being a low hour machine.:good2:

Dirty was just in the local newspaper for some FFA awards I told him he should re-wrap the part in one of those articles with his name circled. That might be pretty cool for the next owner in 70-80 years.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
We've learned about the cup shaped cover and the weight. They go over the open shaft if you take the belt pulley off. It's just a storage place so it wouldn't get lost. Guess that worked.:laugh: The steel piece goes over the shaft and the cup shaped piece bolts on over that to protect the operator from the spinning shaft. Apparently it was common to take the big pulley off it they we're using it.

We ordered parts today.:yahoo:

Administrator
My stinkin' new computer won't show the pictures of your cover. Dangit... :banghead:

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
We got the parts last week and Dirty got the mag back last night. While he was waiting he took the carb apart. It needed a new float. He ordered one. When it came it had to be converted by removing a soldered piece and adding one from the old carb. 90 years and already there's NLA parts.:laugh:

We clean out the water jacket. He had all the parts. Last night he thought he'd see if it would fire. He made a piece to go between the mag and the governor. It backed fired through the carb and after some tinkering it backfired through the exhaust. He hadn't cleaned out the exhaust, it's cleaned out now. He has it on video. He stopped. He grumbled something about having to clean the shop before he did anything else.:lol:

I'll head out there tomorrow night and give him a hand.

Registered
looks and sounds like a very interesting project. :bigthumb: :hide: maybe a video of it running when that time comes:dunno:

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I'm hoping by tomorrow we have it running. The other son has a YouTube channel. (onlyjds)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts