Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how you use an aftermarket gauge that has a 30"-72" temp lead, when it's only about 12" to the housing.
What do you do with all the extra coiled temp wire?
thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm going to assume you have a mechanical rather than electrical gauge. Electric gauges are easy; shorten the wire and you are all set. The "wire" on a mechanical gauge isn't actually a wire at all, but a thin copper tube inside of a metal loom which transmits pressurized gas from the thermalcouple to the gauge. Heat on the thermalcouple causes the gas to expand and thus moves the needle on your gauge. Be very careful not to kink or cut this line or your gauge will need to be sent in to be rebuilt. So unfortunately, you might be stuck with a bit of excess lead. Normally ya just coil up the extra and tuck it where it is out of sight... Not sure how you would accomplish that on an unstyled tractor.

For what it's worth: 1933 Plymouth Temperature Gauge Repair
I would leave shortening a temperature lead to a professional, but if you are feeling lucky go for it and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's what I did when my M needed a new temp gauge last summer. Coiled it up into a neat little bundle, snugged it up with a half-a-dozen zip ties, and hid the coil inside the dashboard casting. Out of sight, out of mind, good to go.

Just be sure you don't kink the line trying to stuff it somewhere!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts