Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just got a 1940 B, How can you tell if it is electric start? (i dont have it home yet just going by pics) also how hard is a hand start b to start? Thanks in advance:hi:

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Hello all, just got a 1940 B, How can you tell if it is electric start? (i dont have it home yet just going by pics) also how hard is a hand start b to start? Thanks in advance:hi:
Styled?? Unless it's been removed, there's a cover on the flywheel.

397099_opt.jpg

Unstyled?? Has a band to cover the ring-gear teeth.

efe11f2fd7ce8b565649207b48214350.jpg

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
If it is electric start, the starter with a pedal will be mounted at the rear top pf the flywheel on the left hand side of the tractor.

If it does not have electric start and the carburetor is set properly and the magneto is good and set properly, they usually start quite well. Of course that is assuming the engine is in reasonably good condition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So then if it has a cover it has electric start? Here is mine. i think it is a hand start Correct? b 1.jpg b 2.jpg b 3.jpg

·
Registered
10,014 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so i bought this tractor :greentractorride: at an online auction Here's what the add said; Tractor just came from local collection were owner had passed away. We never tried to start it but engine is free and has not been sitting long. The front tires are new. SELLS ABSOLUTE no reserve!!! Pesonally I am not super concerned about starting it, but the sheet metal is kinda rough:think:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a pto kit for these B's? This one does not have any:dunno:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
I seriously doubt you can add a PTO if it didn't have one, at least not without a bunch of work. There's a bunch of different casting you would have to have to make it work. It's possible, but would probably take a donor tractor or a bunch of parts from a recycler/used parts dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just looking at a search found what your tractor would look like if it had a PTO. This one also happens to have a POWR-TROL.

Hard to tell from your picture, but it appears you might have some of those parts on your tractor. Perhaps your shaft is broken/cut off?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong. I was in my teens when I first began working on these tractors. :unknown:

I believe your tractor is equipped with a Powershaft(PTO).

Circled in the photo below is the Powershaft(PTO shaft), although it looks as if it has been cut, or had been broken off(as wingrider stated in his reply).
b 3.jpg

In the circled area on the photo below, I see what I believe to be the Powershaft engagement laver.
b 2.jpg

A parts breakdown.
powershaft.png

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok the pto has been cut :thumbsdown: I got her running though!!!!:good2::good2: she fired up after about 20 or 30 pulls on the fly wheel now i know how to run and start! what are all the fuel adjustments?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ok the pto has been cut :thumbsdown: I got her running though!!!!:good2::good2: she fired up after about 20 or 30 pulls on the fly wheel now i know how to run and start! what are all the fuel adjustments?
One of the experienced two cylinder guys is going to have to answer the carburetor adjustment questions.

Did you open the petcocks on each cylinder to reduce compression for starting?

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
what are all the fuel adjustments?

→ Good read here. ←

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The link above explains the adjustments to the carburetor. Print it out and take it with you while adjusting.

7 - Idle screw
8 - Load screw

carba.png

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes, i had the petcocks open:laugh: i am not sure if you could start it with out them open The B just seems to have a miss fairly often, thats why i wondered on adjustments. Thank you all so much for the info!:good2:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So what is the trick to getting this b running correctly? It seems to start fine both cylinders hitting like normal, but as i let it run a bit it starts to miss. I have spark plugs ordered but am not certain that will work . any ideas? i have messed with mag and carb. ANY help would be appreciated:bigthumb:
Also what is the compression supposed to be in each cylinder? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Check the spark plug wires. If it has a loom for the plug wires, connect them outside of the loom and see if it changes. Could be shorting out on the metal in the loom. If the plug wires are brittle or cracked, it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
flyweight- i have a question for u-ok.

them two pics u posted for the OP--u said the bottom pick was a unstyled model with the flywheel cover on it.

i know u are way more educated than me-but i always thought that the older jd's that didn't have the nose cone-along with tinwork to cover the gas tank-was unstyled.

what i am trying to say to u is. that 2nd pic had tinwork-so was they unstyled with tin work on them too? thanks big jim

do i have u mixed up-yet?

·
Registered
364 Posts
BigJim, sometimes a picture helps. This is the typical look of the Unstyled A, B, and G tractors.

Springfield 2006 coke bottles.jpg

Both tractors in the photos you mentioned are styled tractors. The one with the full flywheel cover would represent the 1947 and up A and B with the battery under the seat.
The partially covered flywheel with a ring gear and top mount starter would represent the early electric start models A, B, all H's , and G. Pretty sure the model G looked like this until the end of it's production. Some changes made to the A and B's never did appear on the G. Styled tractors began in 1939 but IIRC the complete line up of models did not all get completed on schedule as in models G and D. Could be wrong though. (Depends on which book you read LOL)
I'm not sure when the electric start was made standard. WWII caused some shortages in electrical and rubber parts, and new designs were probably held back somewhat.

The picture posted of the lift is known as Power Lift. It does have a sticker that says Custom Power Trol though. A version I'm not familiar with perhaps. The PowerTrol option that came a little later and I am familiar with, has ports to operate a remote cylinder for pull type implements. The rockshaft is disabled when a cylinder is plugged in. Either one sure beats the tar out of the "Armstrong Lift" of years before!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
BigJim, sometimes a picture helps. This is the typical look of the Unstyled A, B, and G tractors.

View attachment 514961

Both tractors in the photos you mentioned are styled tractors. The one with the full flywheel cover would represent the 1947 and up A and B with the battery under the seat.
The partially covered flywheel with a ring gear and top mount starter would represent the early electric start models A, B, all H's , and G. Pretty sure the model G looked like this until the end of it's production. Some changes made to the A and B's never did appear on the G. Styled tractors began in 1939 but IIRC the complete line up of models did not all get completed on schedule as in models G and D. Could be wrong though. (Depends on which book you read LOL)
I'm not sure when the electric start was made standard. WWII caused some shortages in electrical and rubber parts, and new designs were probably held back somewhat.

The picture posted of the lift is known as Power Lift. It does have a sticker that says Custom Power Trol though. A version I'm not familiar with perhaps. The PowerTrol option that came a little later and I am familiar with, has ports to operate a remote cylinder for pull type implements. The rockshaft is disabled when a cylinder is plugged in. Either one sure beats the tar out of the "Armstrong Lift" of years before!

tommyhawk
great pic to explain things. my neighbor where i used to live at(only 7 miles away) sold a tractor like what u showed-only his had rubber tires. anyways he sold it thru Green Magazine. i hauled it to Cleveland, Tn. back in 92 or 93 to a collector there, man did he have a selection of JD stuff that day.

my step pap bought a new B during the spring of 42 at our local jd dealership-it came thru with steel spokes on account of the war. my uncle told me that my pap and the owner of the dealership pulled some sort of strings back then for a set rubber tires for the next spring. my pap was the first and only person here to have rubber tires on that tractor around the community. pap would never speak to how or what he did to get them rubber tires.:dunno:thanks again for the pic and explaining things a bit. my uncle always told me square axle housings, and the battery box seat, was a 48 yr:laugh: or newer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts