Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to make an offer on a 1940s LA. It is currently not running but the engine isn't stuck. It was restored in the 70s and still looks great. It has probably been sitting 10 years or so. Tires are great and all hold air.

Thoughts from those that know the market would be great. I'll have pics within the next week

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I have the opportunity to make an offer on a 1940s LA. It is currently not running but the engine isn't stuck. It was restored in the 70s and still looks great. It has probably been sitting 10 years or so. Tires are great and all hold air.

Thoughts from those that know the market would be great. I'll have pics within the next week
Please relieve my ignorance; we talking an "LA Case"? UPDATE: Google Research reveals that John Deere made and LA model also. Ya learn something every day.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I've always wanted an LA, if you tell me where it is,I'll go look at it and if the price is right I'll buy it and let you know how much I paid. I am here for you.:mocking:

Around here the prices really vary by condition and green fever with the top being around 10K and the low being between 3-4K.

·
Registered
487 Posts
psrumors, There was an ad in Facebook Market for an LA in Cleveland TN. No engine, rusty, $1000...ad since removed. L's & LA's should be around 3K-4K, maybe (??) more if restored and running. One item that will add $500 is the serial number tag on the right rear axle housing. This is typically where you put your foot to climb on and most tractors don't have tags! Also look at frame: If it's hollow pipe, it's an L. If solid, it's an LA. L's have a one piece rim, LA's have a rim bolted onto the hub. Unless this has been under a roof all of its life, check the boot on the shifter. Water runs down the shifter and into the trans/rear. Definitely look before you buy! Bob

·
Registered
408 Posts
I recently saw a CL ad for 2 LA's and 1 L for $2500 including 2 sickle mowers. They were a little rough, but fixable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently saw a CL ad for 2 LA's and 1 L for $2500 including 2 sickle mowers. They were a little rough, but fixable.
that wouldnt be a bad deal at all really. I have an L and an LA, bought from the same old man but they both had serial tags on them.

Some day they will get their spot in the shop

·
Registered
55 Posts
FrankenTractor

I bought my L aka (FrankenTractor) for $600 complete with "most" of the original parts. Previous owner had swapped in a Ford Pinto motor.
I have the original Hercules engine, it is stuck but looks rebuildable. All of the tin and I hope all of the other parts were in a shed and I have them.
So far with bead blasting of the frame and buying new tires I have close to $2000 more into it now. So when it's finished it will be worth (at least to me) over $3500 but it is a fun project and keeps me out of trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts