Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this today. As you can see, the blade works horizontal or vertical. It would have been used for felling trees and cutting logs to length. I've been told by those that have seen these in use that the kick back was so bad they would literally cut your foot off your leg. To combat the kick the back, they would strap the handlebars to operator's waste, the problem, you couldn't run if the tree fell in the wrong direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
That's a pretty neat find, but I wouldn't want to use one. I assume it's for show and not for work?

·
Premium Member
7,636 Posts
Ah the good old days when men were men and the chance of death didn't factor in.

Looks like it would make a good brush cutter.

Eat your heart out DR Trimmer.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Ah the good old days when men were men and the chance of death didn't factor in.
It's looks dangerous, but I could handle it without getting hurt. Here, hold my beer. :lol:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,347 Posts
Somewhere an OSHA bureaucrat just crapped his pants. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
Where do I sign up?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
I'm handling sign ups. Send me $50.00 and you're on the list.
Put me down on Gizmo’s card. You have the numbers. :good2:

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Put me down on Gizmo’s card. You have the numbers. :good2:
Done! With Gizmo paying, I added a $50.00 handling fee. Just want to make sure psrumors gets a piece of the action. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I say modify it with a seat and a drivetrain and you got yourself one sweet ride.

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
I really would like to see a video of that saw running and in use. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
At one time those were a common sight in the pine forests of south GA. My uncle had one that he'd still use in the 1980's for bucking up firewood. I never had a desire to operate it.

Here is a video that show one in use: Men of the Forest (1952) | African-American Logging Family in Georgia - YouTube
great video:bigthumb: cutting trees (pine) like that family did, is how my dad tarted out in the pulp wood business, back in 1958 and 59. just a chain saw and i believe a little bit bigger truck than this one, his had a wooden bed on it, and he stacked his wood, the other way, 2 ranks and a small rank on the rear turned like they did it.
his first dozer was a jd model 40, he used to say-if he made a $100 that week the dozer took over half of it to keep it running.

finally he was able to get a jd 430 then, it ran a long time for us. by then we was skidding the wood to the log yard, except paper wood, he still pushed a hole out to back the truck down into, so we could roll the logs onto the truck, and to hand load the paper wood onto the truck, by then he had a bigger truck that could gross, 26,000 lbs, by then couldn't give pine wood away, paper mill was buying chips(pine) out of Canada, guess them was cheaper.

very good video-i watched the whole thing, as i never seen my dad hand carry paper wood to the truck, as i would of still been in diapers:laugh: back then, but believe me i carried that measuring pole every day in the summer, and up ended the sticks of wood, back out to the stumps many a day. my dad worked very hard for what he had in his life.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts