Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my LA this past weekend. Although it is not perfect, it look pretty nice and runs and mostly complete.

I have ordered a manual and parts book, I'm just waiting their arrival until then I have a few questions.

One of my rear wheel/rim is rusted through along the outer edge in several places. Where can I find a replacement rim? Can I cut the old brackets off and install them on a blank rim if needed.

My wheels have rear weights, if I choose to remove the weights, do I need some type of disc to bolt to the rim and hub?

The previous owner says my LA is a 1941, but there is no serial plate attached. Is there anyway to figure out the correct year? Are there any differences between model years that would help date the LA?

I am missing the choke rod or cable. Is it a rod that is bent is several places or is it a cable? If it is a rod can someone describe for me by measuring how long and where the bends are?

Where can I get info on the carburetor (Marvel)? I think the carburetor is flooding. Supposedly the previous owner put a kit in it, but it seem to flood easily.

I am missing the generator. Where would be a good place to find one? I have a bracket.

Thanks

Scott in Texas

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I have a 1941 or 1942 LA and several photos in the gallery. You might check them out. Do a search on this site. There are several threads on LA John Deere. There are several dealers online that can supply almost any part you need. Come back here for more info and help. Lots of knowledgeable, willing to help, people here.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I just got my LA this past weekend. Although it is not perfect, it look pretty nice and runs and mostly complete.

I have ordered a manual and parts book, I'm just waiting their arrival until then I have a few questions.

One of my rear wheel/rim is rusted through along the outer edge in several places. Where can I find a replacement rim? Can I cut the old brackets off and install them on a blank rim if needed.

My wheels have rear weights, if I choose to remove the weights, do I need some type of disc to bolt to the rim and hub?

The previous owner says my LA is a 1941, but there is no serial plate attached. Is there anyway to figure out the correct year? Are there any differences between model years that would help date the LA?

I am missing the choke rod or cable. Is it a rod that is bent is several places or is it a cable? If it is a rod can someone describe for me by measuring how long and where the bends are?

Where can I get info on the carburetor (Marvel)? I think the carburetor is flooding. Supposedly the previous owner put a kit in it, but it seem to flood easily.

I am missing the generator. Where would be a good place to find one? I have a bracket.

Thanks

Scott in Texas
Check out this source: Not OEM but close! Order their catalog. New Restoration Parts For Antique Tractors | Buy Vintage Tractor Parts ~Scotty

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You can buy blank rims for just that purpose. On an old Farmall I'm working on I just picked up 15" steel wheels at the auto salvage yard and cut the outer edges of the rim off of the Farmall 15" wheels and welded on the edges from the steel wheels. These old tractors only go a few miles per hour so having the wheels perfectly balanced or perfectly round aren't required.

I've never owned an LA, so I can't help with the other questions. A friend's dad had two of them and they are nice little tractors.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unfortunately the closest you will ever get is a ballpark year and thats only from checking part numbers on a lot of pieces that you hope are original. At least you get to enjoy your LA when your done. Post a few pics if you get a chance. we would all really like to see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts