Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere B (1944) that my grandpa and I fixed up when I was a kid..40 years ago!LOL through the years.the back rims were junk..we patched them back then .I cut the rims off the flat spokes years ago..and had 38 inch rims make for it to weld back up too the spokes..only to find in last couple years ago..they wer made at 36 inch ! So I dont think I really want to cut my flat spokes down.and I dont think there is any flat spoke rims out there..what should I do..I need to get it out of the corner off blocks ,and fixed up for parades..for my Daughter to run...thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you don't care about the spokes the is plenty of disk rims out there both pressed steel and cast. Lots of cut and welded flat spoke ones out there too. I too have a 44 B but it was 22 years ago I restored it. Still my "big" loader tractor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Spokes 44 B

What do you mean..plenty of Disc spokes.LOL Im lost..are you talking about for the front spokes of the B..I was needing the rear ones..If I could find 38" runs with the Flat 3" centers to weld the spokes..I could weld new rims onto my flat spokes..Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Press steel center disks that are part of the rim.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
One of our sponsors, m. e. MILLER tire, shows a flatbase rim for 38" tires that is 36" inside dimension. The deep well type as used on the letter style Deeres (and Farmalls I think) with a cast center is 34" inside. They show none as 38" inside, as that would be the same size as the tire bead. I don't think that could work with standard tubes.

Was the old tire and rim a 38" diameter, or could it have been something larger as in 42"?
If that was the case, I think I would cut the flat spokes to fit inside one of the above mentioned rims. 10-38 (11.4x38 new size) tires are much easier to get.

Here's a picture of a rim for cast centers. The welded on drive lug is at about 7 o'clock, hard to see. This is the deep well type for 38" rubber.

RW Before paint.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rims

One of our sponsors, m. e. MILLER tire, shows a flatbase rim for 38" tires that is 36" inside dimension. The deep well type as used on the letter style Deeres (and Farmalls I think) with a cast center is 34" inside. They show none as 38" inside, as that would be the same size as the tire bead. I don't think that could work with standard tubes.

Was the old tire and rim a 38" diameter, or could it have been something larger as in 42"?
If that was the case, I think I would cut the flat spokes to fit inside one of the above mentioned rims. 10-38 (11.4x38 new size) tires are much easier to get.

Here's a picture of a rim for cast centers. The welded on drive lug is at about 7 o'clock, hard to see. This is the deep well type for 38" rubber.

View attachment 321626

tommyhawk

The Old Tires,I took off were 38" tires.And I have some new 36" but dont want to cut down my spokes..like you said.38 " are easy to find.. Any one know what I should do with the Mag..?? Its not firing.it s been in shed dry.and not started for 3 years now..It always fired up.but I have no fire..Do I just clean points or is there more to it..I havent ever messed with them..thanks for help guys.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts