Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P8150037.jpg Hello everyone,

I own a 1945 J-D Model A tractor and need to replace the right side final drive gear (A3045R). Can anyone walk me through the procedure and provide torque specifications for the large castle nut (A76R) that holds the bull gear in place? I plan to remove the rear wheel in order to make the swap but am wondering if there are any tricks to performing the procedure. I have the replacement gear ready to install but have not purchased an repair manual as of yet and want to get my tractor driving again. Is it as simple as removing the large nut, sliding out the axle far enough to remove the gear and bolting her back up or do you have to use some sort of puller on the drive gear? I would very much appreciate any guidance that all of you may have. Torque specs would be greatly appreciated and I thank all of you in advance for your time and knowledge.

James Galbraith

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts
:wgtt:

Yup. It's that simple. Remove the wheel first. Pull the axle felt (axle seal) retainer and felt out. Remove the cotter pin and loosen the gear nut (2-3/8" I think). As you loosen it, take a pry bar and start working the axle shaft out. You can use the opposite axle to pry against. The outer bearing will make this a bit tough because it's a tight fit. Once there's room, I've used a 2x4 as the prybar. Once there's room, simply remove the gear and reverse the process. Put a prybar through the hole in the gear and up against the case to stop the gear from rotating while loosing and tightening that nut. Torque? As tight as you can get it, then to the next slot for a cotter pin. You might have to back it off to the next cotter pin hole. Rotate the axle and gear assembly before installing the cotter pin to insure it moves smoothly and it's not too tight. :good2:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Dieselshadow!

Hello Dieselshadow,

Thank you for the reply, I am very happy that I don't need any special tools to get the job done. I had studied it and I was thinking that might be how it was done but I have made mistakes on things in the past and it gives me confidence to hear it from someone who knows. I do plan to get a manual in the near future but even manuals can't tell a person tips and tricks from experience. I hope to take photos of the procedure and post them for other people to learn from as I do things on the tractor. My old tractor sat for 13+ years before I got it but I have her running with new oil and am getting all of the bugs worked out, I can't wait to drive it. Thanks again for your knowledge, I am excited to get started.:yahoo:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,742 Posts
We are all about having friends here on GTT.:wgtt:

·
Administrator
21,181 Posts
We are all about having friends here on GTT.
That is exactly right.:drinks:

I look forward to seeing your pictures and how successful the repair went.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts