Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tractor was parked 10 yrs ago because it would quit running when hot. I soaked the carb, blew it all out. I don’t have the drill bits but blowing air threw the passages isn’t stopped up. I put a new kit in it, everything but a float. I put new points, condenser, autolite 3116 plugs and new wires on it. Tractor starts and runs great half the time. The other half it runs good until it starts to get warm then it starts backfiring threw the exhaust and won’t hardly run. Every time it won’t run the carb is frosted over and the intake all the way to the head. Obviously I know it’s vapor locking but why? I’ve took the carb back off gutted it and cleaned it again, tried diff plugs. I’m about at a loss on why it only does it sometimes and what’s causing it, anyone have any ideas? Only thing I haven’t done is try higher octane gas which I’m going to. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the elbow off and let it run, 4-5 min maybe at the most and the same thing , I think maybe it runs worse without it. I dunno it beats anything I’ve seen. I really don’t know what else to try. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it’s been a while since I’ve been on here, the A got pushed to the side and put off. One day last week I was going on service calls driving and out of know where got to thinking about the tractor and remembered I had put those autolite plugs in it, and yrs ago when I was a kid I remember it being finicky about what plugs you put in it. So over the weekend I pulled the plugs out and stuck 2 champions back in it, fired it up and boom. No more frosty carb. It runs great. Not sure about any other A’s, but this one don’t like autolites. All of that trouble all for a couple of lousy plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts