Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another member thought I should start a thread dedicated to the crank swap on my tractor so here it is:

I bought this 1952 John Deere AN last Oct. The PO told me that it had a bad clutch and he wasn't willing or able to fix it. All he wanted was a little money for the almost new looking rear tires. We agreed on $400 for it so I hauled it home. Once home I looked it over and found the crank splines on the clutch side were badly worn so much so that the clutch drive disc was really loose and couldn't be tightened. I purchased a used crank and a new drive disc to swap out with the old. So now on with the project.

I'll start with some picks of the damaged crank and the used replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started the tear down last Friday and got the flywheel removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saturday I pulled the first reduction gear and cover. I had already removed the clutch pulley earlier.

Next will be to pull the rods, main bearing webs, and remove the old crank.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the rods off the crank and slid them up in the bores far enough to get the crank out. Then removed the oil lines from the main bearing webs and pulled them off the crank. With a little wiggling the crank slid out the right side of the crankcase. I found the Babbitt bearing in the #1 rod cap has some damage, but the rod side looks OK. Also one main bearing has some pitting. At this point I am going to take inventory before I proceed.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have thought that a late model A would have insert bearings instead of babbit rods.
I think it was built just shy of when they switched over.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the crank out of the way I was able to get a good look at the oil pump screen. Looks like lots of sludge build up like most of these old tractors. I'll be dropping the pump out for a good cleaning.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't do much today, but I did Mic the old crank to compare it with the used one. The journals all measure the same between both cranks so it looks like it will work just fine. If I'm lucky I won't even have to pull any shims out of the rods or mains, but we will see once its back in the crankcase.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Didn't do much today, but I did Mic the old crank to compare it with the used one. The journals all measure the same between both cranks so it looks like it will work just fine. If I'm lucky I won't even have to pull any shims out of the rods or mains, but we will see once its back in the crankcase.
Looks like a major but fun project you have on your hands. Lots of work but the end result will be worth it:bigthumb:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent some time making a list of bearings and gaskets that will need replacing. The bearings I need are no longer supplied by John Deere so I am looking at some other suppliers for the best price. It always amazes me what different places will charge for the same bearing.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Spent some time making a list of bearings and gaskets that will need replacing. The bearings I need are no longer supplied by John Deere so I am looking at some other suppliers for the best price. It always amazes me what different places will charge for the same bearing.
Don't be afraid to share that info with us. It's archived so many many more people can benefit from your legwork. :thumbup1gif:

......like me. :mocking: I have a 60 that shares many things in common to include the crank assembly with a late A. I'd love to see vendors, P/Ns and price of parts you got if it's not too much to ask. :hi:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the bearings that I am looking at replacing:

Pulley and clutch on lower page.

#14. JD 7487 R - number on bearing Hyatt 1209T - I crossed this with a Timken MA1209EL and it includes both PN's.
#15. JD 7587 R

Transmission section: outer first reduction bearing

#30. JD 7664 R - number on bearing removed from tractor New Departure 3206

Cross reference chart: http://rainiertractorclub.org/Resources/Bearing Cross Reference.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Use that cross reference chart that you posted the link to then call up the guys at locateballbearings.com

They had every bearing for the transmission in the last G we built and the steering pedestal thrust bearings for another in the herd.

Prices are very good, shipping was efficient and a knowledgeable English speaking human answers the phone.

At least from my experiences.

Edit: just because they don’t have it listed on their search, doesn’t mean they don’t have a NOS bearing sitting on a shelf somewhere! That’s why I recommend giving them a call.

http://www.locateballbearings.com/

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am replacing the clutch roller bearing and the outer first reduction bearing. I ordered them from Amazon $59.66 for the clutch and $16.61 for the first reduction. NAPA had them at $104 and $83. Both bearings sounded like they were driving down a gravel road. I ordered a new gasket for the left main bearing housing from John Deere. They called today and said it is in.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made a road trip to the John Deere dealer this morning and picked up the gasket that I had ordered. The bearing are suppose to arrive by the end of the week. I guess I better get the oil pump dropped out so I can clean the screen and get ready to reinstall the crank.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dropped the oil pump out, removed the screen, and cleaned it up. I think I'll open up the pump tomorrow and see how it looks. Might as well do it while I'm right there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Your A will thank you for providing it with much better oil supply. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Dropped the oil pump out, removed the screen, and cleaned it up. I think I'll open up the pump tomorrow and see how it looks. Might as well do it while I'm right there.

Cjet69, that is the cleanest oil pump screen I've seen today. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The new bearings just arrived via UPS. I did a quick test fit and they both look correct.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts