Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a 1953 60 that the PO said that the head gasket was leaking, When it warms up a little, I want to get to working on it.
Do I need any special tools to work on it.

Thanks Tom B.

Here are a few pictures of the 60.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
No sir. No special tools needed. You just need big sockets, wrenches, and a strong back. Parts are big and heavy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423829564.921900.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423829600.364860.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423829632.100296.jpg

And,
:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Here's a big WELCOME to GTT. We are glad you are here.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Good luck with your project and Welcome from West Virginia

·
Registered
222 Posts
TomBjd140,

Looks like a nice original 60. Back in those days they used lead washers on the head bolts, some people have said they are not needed anymore, maybe they are, maybe they arent, but packs of 50 can be bought pretty cheap, so i have always put them back on.

And i know that you just got it, but you may want to go ahead and take a look at the valves, since you already have it off i would go ahead and have the head freshened up. Most machine shops charge about 200 bucks to grind the seats and the valves, especially since you are right there.

Some people use copper coat on the head gasket, im kind of a cheap skate and use a heavy rattle can gray primer and put a light coat on both sides, let it get tacky, then put it all together. To date, this has not let me down.

What are your plans with it? I dont know how familiar you are with deeres in general, but on john deeres web site you can download the parts manual, and from deere you can get the original service manual. The parts catalog is a free download, the service manual is like 30 bucks, but the best money you will spend on the ol girl. You can find off brands, for about the same money, but you will regret it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,461 Posts
TomBjd140,

Looks like a nice original 60. Back in those days they used lead washers on the head bolts, some people have said they are not needed anymore, maybe they are, maybe they arent, but packs of 50 can be bought pretty cheap, so i have always put them back on.

And i know that you just got it, but you may want to go ahead and take a look at the valves, since you already have it off i would go ahead and have the head freshened up. Most machine shops charge about 200 bucks to grind the seats and the valves, especially since you are right there.

Some people use copper coat on the head gasket, im kind of a cheap skate and use a heavy rattle can gray primer and put a light coat on both sides, let it get tacky, then put it all together. To date, this has not let me down.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
What he said.

And, WELCOME to GTT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome!!

dieselshadow,
I hope I don't have to tear it down that far to fix the head gasket on mine!!!!
I have the right tools for the job and a strong back, I am getting the neighbor to help me, He has worked on them before, so hopefully it will go somewhat smooth.

TLock0331,
Thanks for the information about working on my 60, any help is Greatly Appreciated.
My plan is to take it to a local machine shop and have them clean and mill the head.

I grew up on a John Deere 50 & 70 when I was kid, and always wanted a 1957 620 because they were made when I was made!!!
This 60 became available at the right price, So it will do for now!! I plan to use it to rake hay and mess around pulling hay wagons.
Someday I hope to find a JD 55 2-14" plow, And play around plowing with it.

It will be awhile before it gets done, but if I need any help I won't be afraid to ask.

Thanks for now
Tom B.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
The pics I posted were from a parts tractor I was tearing down. I'm in the middle of restoring my Grandpa's 60. :good2:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423951547.672059.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts

Thanks for the pics! I grew up on a 53-60, but it didn't have power steering. Not much fun with a 4-row front mount cultivator!

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have 3 60's, some of you have seen 2 of them, a low seat standard and an orchard, neither were equipped with power steering, my row crop 60 doesnt have it yet, BUT, i have all the parts laying in the shop, just trying to get a free few days of not working on other crap to get to it, sure would make it a lot nicer haha

TomBjd140 - a 2/14 would work good behind it, were you looking for a 3pt, trip, or hydraulic? I tell ya, i wish i was better at setting them up, thats on my to do list....

my edit - OH YEA thats an awesome set of lawn mowers! LOVE IT! again...someday...i would like to get a 60 and 70 riding lawn mower to go with my 60's & 70's model tractors. if i could find them cheap enough

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Not familiar with your soils, but around here we used 3-16" on the 60's. I pulled a 2-14 model 810 mounted plow with my 58-520, It would pull 3-14's, but not very well, so I took one off!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Grnspot110,

i am in NE Kansas, so not all that far away, but a few years ago i was piddling around with the 60 and was busted sod that had been grazed on by sheep of all things for years, ran a 3/14, lift type and it was ALL my 60 wanted, my black dash 620 did a lot better job hanging in there with it, course we were all running deeper than we maybe needed too and once again, i am not anywhere close to an expert at setting a plow so im sure that didnt help, but, we drank beer and had fun haha

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
620 would be 20% more HP +/-. We ran about 8" deep here, sod, of course is going to be tougher than normal. Dad & my brother once plowed 20 acres of alfalfa sod with 4-16 behind that same 53-60 ------------------------------------------------------- but the 58-720D was chained between the 60 & the plow!

Reactions: tlock0331
1 - 13 of 13 Posts