Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I didn't know what the most appropriate forum section for this was so I figured I'm working on it at home and in my workshop so this one fit!! If the moderator feel it fits a different forum section better feel free to move it.
Anyhow my Brother In-Law is a dairy farmer and he recently dropped a cylinder sleeve in the No 2 cylinder of his 1953 Farmall Super M. So we are going to tackle this rebuild project. I thought would post a few pics for the picture lovers around here.

Nick S.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thank Nick

Looks like quite the project. I can see a cherry picker in your future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like quite the project. I can see a cherry picker in your future.
I bought a used cherry picker and engine stand a couple of weekends ago from guy in oregon. That's how we got the cylinder head off and the engine out of the tractor!! Now I have to go around and try to get things organized because the "kids" that I'm helping to do the project like to just start taking nuts and bolts off and not labeling and organizing them. Plus I'm doing the dirty work of cleaning things up while nobody else is around creating more messes.
Feel free to come up and check it out if you want Randy.

Nick S

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
That garage needs a whole more stuff crammed in there, how in the world do you expect to work in there with all that uncluttered floor and wall space?:unknown:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That garage needs a whole more stuff crammed in there, how in the world do you expect to work in there with all that uncluttered floor and wall space?:unknown:
I'm doing the best I can to keep it clean. My brother in-law on the other hand is doing his best to make a mess!!

I do have a question for the experienced engine builders though. Any Idea how much the engine by itself weighs? I have an engine stand rated for 1000 lbs but I'm not sure if that is pushing it or not?

Thanks.

Nick S

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Looks pretty good for a "red" tractor. According to tractordata.com, the weight of the tractor is 5603 pounds. It isn't likely that the engine would make up 20% of the total weight. There is a lot of steel and cast iron in from the clutch rearward.

What kind of car is under the cover? Nice, clean shop also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks pretty good for a "red" tractor. According to tractordata.com, the weight of the tractor is 5603 pounds. It isn't likely that the engine would make up 20% of the total weight. There is a lot of steel and cast iron in from the clutch rearward.
I'm thinking the same thing in terms of % weight that the engine makes up for the tractor. But I thought I would ask a few of the more veteran tractor mechanics around here and see what their thoughts are.

What kind of car is under the cover? Nice, clean shop also.

Thanks for the compliment on the shop. Under the car cover is my college graduation present to myself that I bought new in 2002. I've attached a few pics for better viewing pleasure.

Thanks.

Nick S

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Looks like a relatively fun project on a well kept piece of old iron. That shop looks more like some aircraft hangars I've been in than a shop.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Nick:

Nice Camaro. I would keep it covered also. What engine and transmission does it have?

My college graduation present to myself was a new 1965 Impala Super Sport. Unfortunately, I do not still have it.

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick:

Nice Camaro. I would keep it covered also. What engine and transmission does it have?

My college graduation present to myself was a new 1965 Impala Super Sport. Unfortunately, I do not still have it.

Don
Don,

Thanks!!
It has a 5.7L LS1 manual 6 speed transmission making about 335HP at the rear wheels. I have about 44,000 miles on it. In a car like this I don't think I will ever get an automatic. A manual is just too much fun to drive!!
Wow a brand new 1965 Impala SS!! Cool!! I'll bet you do wish you still had that one.

Nick.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Nick:

I sure do wish I still had it. That and a 67 Impala SS 396, a 69 Chevelle 350, and a 71 Impala 454. Apparently I lost any common sense, that I may have had at the time, in Vietnam. I agree with you, there is nothing like a lot of horsepower and a manual transmission. The feeling of all that horsepower and torque is like none other.

Keep your Camaro. It will save kicking yourself in the butt many times in the future.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Memories

Those pictures bring back a lot of good memories. My Dad's second new tractor was a Super MTA. He picked it up from a warehouse in Illinois and brought it home. Must have been 55 ish. I was born in 53. The MTA was a do everything tractor. It was used to pick virtually all the corn with a 2MH picker until we got a combine in the late 60's. Had a 3 bottom plow and 13'6" Krause disk. Dad preferred to use the MTA to pull the John Deere 494 planter if he could because of the live hydraulics. There was also a 461 International four row front mounted cultivator. I cultivated I don't now how many hundred of acres of corn and soybeans with that combo. I just wish it had some real brakes. Turning in the freshly cultivated end rows could be a problem. It had a tendency to want to continue to go straight even with the wheels turned and the appropriate brake applied. IH brakes were not as good as John Deere's. Oh, and Dad's first tractor was a 52 John Deere B. I learned how to do everything on the B before I graduated to the Super MTA. I really liked the Torque Amplifier feature. Late 50's early 60's Dad bought a late International M, before moving up to a 706 Gas mid 60's. But the 706 is another story. Dad kept the MTA until he moved off the farm.

Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Updated Pictures

We we have made some more progress so I thought I would post up a few more pictures. We have the engine dissassembled down to a bare block now.:dance::yahoo:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice, overall everything looks to be in good condition.
Yeah for the most part everything looks to be ok except for the engine block itself. The #2 cylinder dropped a cylinder sleeve so we will need to resleeve the block. Has anyone here ever resleeved a block? Any tips or advise on the best procedures for getting the other 3 out and then installing the new ones would be great!!

For a 1953 machine it's in pretty good shape.

Thanks for looking!

Nick.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yeah for the most part everything looks to be ok except for the engine block itself. The #2 cylinder dropped a cylinder sleeve so we will need to resleeve the block. Has anyone here ever resleeved a block? Any tips or advise on the best procedures for getting the other 3 out and then installing the new ones would be great!!

For a 1953 machine it's in pretty good shape.

Thanks for looking!

Nick.
I'm not sure if you could use a wood block to tap the sleeves out or not. On some of the larger engines, I put the new sleeves in the freezer to shrink them and they'll slide right in. But, that would not be doable for the D361 or D407.

You might could use a large brass punch to drive the sleeves out from the bottom.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure if you could use a wood block to tap the sleeves out or not. On some of the larger engines, I put the new sleeves in the freezer to shrink them and they'll slide right in. But, that would not be doable for the D361 or D407.

You might could use a large brass punch to drive the sleeves out from the bottom.
We ended up doing basically this same procedure. We started with a punch and then used a 4x4 and cut the corners down a little so we could get the 4x4 started in the bore. Then we pounded the sleeves out with the 4x4. Worked pretty good. I'm think it probably won't work on newer engines though as I'm sure the sleeves are a much tighter fit.

Thanks for the advise green and red man!!

Nick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts