Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the intake and exhaust manifolds on my 1954 60 JD. I have everything about ready to put back on, however, I am having difficulty finding what torque to use for the bolts for the manifolds. Can anyone tell me what the torque should be for these bolts?

Also, when I pulled the steering shaft I lost most of the oil from the casting at the top of the steering column where the gear on the end of the steering shaft is housed. I have heard that there should have been grease not oil in this area. Can anyone tell me which and what kind should be in this area?

Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way.

M & M

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,790 Posts
I am replacing the intake and exhaust manifolds on my 1954 60 JD. I have everything about ready to put back on, however, I am having difficulty finding what torque to use for the bolts for the manifolds. Can anyone tell me what the torque should be for these bolts?
44 Ft-Lb

Also, when I pulled the steering shaft I lost most of the oil from the casting at the top of the steering column where the gear on the end of the steering shaft is housed. I have heard that there should have been grease not oil in this area. Can anyone tell me which and what kind should be in this area?

Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way.
Manual steering?
Power steering?
:unsure:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Some use gear oil 80-90 wt. others use a mixture of oil and grease, some use corn head grease. The trick is not to use too much as the oil level is supposed to be up to the bottom of the gear, no more. I do not think corn head grease alone will flow enough so I mix with a little gear oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.