Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just bought my first new house and there is a 1954 Model 60 on the property and I am trying to start it.

Here is what I've tried so far, please forgive me I am new to this thing. I turned the ignition switch to the first position and put it at half throttle and I was told that the left foot pedal was to start it up. That pedal just floats around and has no resistance to it. Could the engine be frozen? There was a battery on the tractor but I don't think it was good so reluctantly I hooked up my truck to it. I was pretty sure it runs on 6 volts correct?

Thank you for any help at all!

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I too have a '54 model 60. It is currently not running but I might be able to help you. The tractor is a 12V system with the battery compartment under the seat. The starter pedal is one you step on to the left of the operators station. I circled it in red in the attached picture. BTW this was taken a few years ago when I was recovering the tractor from my Grandfather's field. It was jammed in two gears at once and had the shifter tower removed for over 10 years.:laugh:

starter pedal 60.jpg

:wgtt:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I for the life of me can't find that pedal. I have attached a picture of the console. The tractor doesn't look the same as yours.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
I think I know what part of your problem is. That is not a 1954 model 60.

This is what my crusty 60 looks like from the rear.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341107757.555985.jpg

Can you find your data plate?

It should look similar to this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341107831.613422.jpg

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
Maybe this can help

Here's a video that shows a model 60 start up.:thumbup1gif:

Here's a cool 60 just for viewing pleasure. :hi:

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
Really neat tractor!

That's cool! It's obviously a 60! What you have is called a 60 low seat standard or 60R for regular. They're not all that common I believe. The rowcrop version was the most popular (like mine). Matter of fact I can't find much info on it. Wanna sell? :laugh: I'd appreciate it f you post a few more pics!

I'm thinking there's a rod coming up from behind the flywheel cover towards the rear that is connected the starter. The starter requires manual bendix engagement. When the rod is lifted, not only does the bendix engage the flywheel, but it closes the starter contacts.

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
Here's some more info

Here's a link to a great site with some info about your 60 and older Johnny Poppers.:hi:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the info. I don't think I want to sell it yet but I appreciate the offer :D. Here are some more pictures of it. I will be heading home soon so I can see if I can figure this darn thing out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I really like your tractor. I'm going to own me a 60 one of these days. The one you have is not easily found in our part of the country.
Enjoyed the pictures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got it to turn over. The negative battery cable was rusted beyond belief and wasn't getting a good ground. There is a knob in the middle of the console right near the the gauges that when depressed turned the tractor over. I never got it started, nor did I try as I want to pull the plugs and clean everything out first so I don't harm anything by trying to start it over and over again. Dieselshadow you were indeed correct about "The starter requires manual bendix engagement. When the rod is lifted, not only does the bendix engage the flywheel, but it closes the starter contacts." Well now I'm off to clean it up a bit so I can start it!!!!!

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
The 60 originally came with 2 - 6 volt batteries wired in series for 12 volts. However I can't find anything in my manuals that says positive or negative ground. I looked though 2 different shop manuals and the operators manual. :unknown: My 60's electrical system is nowhere near what the factory built. It has a GM style alternator with a built in voltage regulator so it's all set for negative ground. I can't say for sure whether or not the first letter series tractors (50, 60, 70, etc.) are supposed to be positive ground.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
TractorData.com lists the Model 60 as being a 6 volt, positive ground. Could be a mistake on their part. I know that was a very common design in that era, and learned quite a bit about the workings of it with my old 8N. Clean, bright and tight. :good2::laugh:

It's possible, probably even likely that Rigged's tractor has been converted to 12 volt, negative ground somewhere along the way. Most of the old tractors were, and some conversions turned out far better than others.

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
I have the original shop and operator's manuals from JD. In addition to that, I have the modern shop and parts manuals. They are all in agreement on a 12v system. I guess the moral of the story is don't believe everything you read on the Internet. :lol:

You bring up an excellent point. I'm glad you looked into it and brought it up here. :good2:

I'm sure Rigged will be able to tell how his 60 is set up by checking out his battery(s) and how it's grounded. Maybe this can be another excuse to post some more pictures of his excellent looking tractor! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I have the original shop and operator's manuals from JD. In addition to that, I have the modern shop and parts manuals. They are all in agreement on a 12v system. I guess the moral of the story is don't believe everything you read on the Internet. :lol:
Sir? If it's on the internet, it has to be true. I read that on the internet. :lol::thumbup1gif:

Disregard the 6 volt idea, then. Good to know they were designed for 12 volts. I've run across a few 'conversions' where someone just dropped in a 12 volt battery. Turns over alot faster! :laugh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My tractor is indeed 12v negative ground system. I will be taking more pictures tomorrow for you to enjoy.

·
Administrator
20,877 Posts
My tractor is indeed 12v negative ground system. I will be taking more pictures tomorrow for you to enjoy.
:yahoo::yahoo::dance::dance:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:yahoo::yahoo::dance::dance:
I just wanted to follow up quickly. I haven't forgotten about the pictures, I've just been busy looking at a new 1026R :thumbup1gif:. I just got back from the dealer test driving it and talking about the different implements I needed. Home ownership is AWESOME!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts