Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a kid I spent all my summers on my grandparents farm. My main job was driving a John Deere 50, pulling a New Holland baler and two Montgomery Wards wagons. We would load 100 bales per wagon, baling 400 a day. We didn't like unhooking the baler from the 50 so we would transport the wagons with a John Deere 40. When my Grandfather passed away in 1976 I inherited the 50 and my uncle received the 40. My uncle passed three years ago and my cousin took ownership of the 40. It's been sitting in the barn for three years. Well yesterday I contacted him asking what his plans are for the 40. He said he had no plans and if I have an interest, "come and get it." I couldn't get there fast enough. 40 W is a pretty rare tractor and it comes with a front end loader, snow blade, 3 pt. 6ft disc and all the metal is straight. It's sure is nice to put the pair back in the same barn again. Thanks cousin Rich!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Sweet Ride you got there with all the History & goodies.
I got my eyes on one but its a waiting game that has a few years to go..Not a W ,just a U...I like it. We'll see if it pans out.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I'm glad someone who wants it finally has it. Congrats to you. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Nice piece of equipment.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Nice story with good end result!

I spent a lot of time in my teens hauling hay 19 miles home with an MT & two JD 953 wagons. 720D was on the JD-14T baler, 60 was used on the #5 mower & rake. 50 years later, I was able to find a 1953-40S, which I still enjoy driving!

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Great story. Nice tractor. Can’t say 8 have ever seen a loader on a 40 before.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a photo of me along with my two nieces on the 40W. The photo was taken in 1972. It was the last year that my grandfather farmed. He sold the herd and retired from farming at age 70.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Trebor,
That will be a nice addition to your collection. Appears that you and I might be about the same vintage as I would have been 18 in the summer of 1972, those were the days. I'd be looking for some rear weights for the 40W to make using the loader safer. Nice looking tractor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan,
Thanks.
I have a 420 U and 420 C, both with loaders. So the plan here is to remove the loader and reinstall the lights and go back to a stock seat. We will use it to disc the food plots in front of our deer blinds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts