Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across this cub on Craigslist. Talked to the guy. One owner tractor, always kept inside. Been sitting for many years but the gas was drained. And then run dry. Looks like original paint that is in good condition. Includes sickle bar mower and cultivators.

The guy wants 2200 for it. I'm thinking maybe a bit high. What are all your guys thoughts.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm not an authority on Cubs, but I've been seeing running ones in the Midwest from $1350-$3000. One looked pretty similar to that one, in better looking condition & running w/mid mount mower was $1500.

Here's another one, in IA: 1959 Farmall Cub

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I'dl go put some gas in it, see if it will run. run it around for a spell, if it runs good-ok. work him down a few hundred if the cultivators is all there, and the sickle bar too. ur getting 2 implements with it also, ur going to half to see what cub implements are bringing, and what ur willing to give. good luck

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I'dl go put some gas in it, see if it will run. run it around for a spell, if it runs good-ok. work him down a few hundred if the cultivators is all there, and the sickle bar too. ur getting 2 implements with it also, ur going to half to see what cub implements are bringing, and what ur willing to give. good luck
Once it runs I think you'll have a much harder time bringing the price down.

I think it's a little high, but with the sickle it's not too out of sight. The paint and tires look good, if the engine is free then they usually fire up with very little work required. A carburetor cleaning and an ignition tune up will probably get it running.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
I like it. It even has weights on the rear wheels. If I had use for it I don't see it as being to much if I didn't have to travel to far to get it. He might come down some if you showed him the cash.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think the price is fair, especially with the sickle bar included, but not a "steal". That's about average for my area (NE Ohio) but I'd bet they'd take $2,000 without any argument. Prices for Cubs vary widely by region of the country.

Although replacement parts are plentiful, it's important to keep in mind some parts are now available only as Chinese reproductions. The quality varies from pure junk to merely acceptable. Also, I was a little surprised to find many parts were far more expensive than I expected. For example, parts for my 1975 Ford 3000 are much less expensive and better quality.

Be diligent with the normal checklist: oil, blow-by, antifreeze, brakes, hydraulics, PTO, belts, hoses, tire and rubber rot, etc.
You may want to consult the Farmall Cub forum too: Farmall Cub • View forum - Farmall Cub

I paid $1000 for my 1950 Cub with a nice International belly mower. It was in excellent cosmetic condition with good tires but leaked something from EVERY possible location, had no brakes and was not easy to start. As a result, my total cost has now soared to $2800 to make it mechanically rock solid. I might get $2200- $2500 if I found the right buyer but that's OK. This is not retirement investment stuff:laugh:

I will tell you these Cubs are a real hoot to operate....up to a point. I normally use mine to mow some awkward areas under trees and irregular little spaces. A couple of times I've used mine to mow 5+ acres of grass but it takes a toll on my old back. Granted, I'm mostly cutting green weeds on former horse pastures but every jolt is immediately transferred to your bones. I enjoy the nostalgia but NOTHING beats the comfort of a cab with AC and nimble power steering!

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I think the price is fair, especially with the sickle bar included, but not a "steal". That's about average for my area (NE Ohio) but I'd bet they'd take $2,000 without any argument. Prices for Cubs vary widely by region of the country.

Although replacement parts are plentiful, it's important to keep in mind some parts are now available only as Chinese reproductions.
There are also four different Cubs. You have the Farmall Cub/ F Cub like the one pictured, then there's the number series Cubs- 154, 184 and 185. The number series is sometimes called the Cub LoBoy, but I believe there was also a LoBoy version of the F Cub.

The number series uses the same engine as the F Cub, but instead of a starter on the bell housing it uses a starter generator on the fan belt. It looks much more similar to the Cub Cadet line of the era than the Farmall line. The 154 and 185 are very similar, but the 184 was a little bit different. All three came with three speed transmissions and were fairly limited with ground engaging implements. They were designed mostly for mowing, but were only equipped with a rear PTO. The mid mount deck was driven off a pulley on the rear PTO with a long belt, similar to the setup on the F Cub.

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
There's one semi-near me that has been partially restored and comes with a plow (but not other attachments) for $2000.

Farmall Cub

I think your guy is just a tad high but not outrageous.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
There's one semi-near me that has been partially restored and comes with a plow (but not other attachments) for $2000.

Farmall Cub

I think your guy is just a tad high but not outrageous.
:dunno: I DON'T know for sure if he is really out of the ball park. the way the OP said it was his originally his tractor from new-:dunno: it's sat in the barn for years, has wheel weights on rear, good rear tires, and since they the tires hasn't seen any sun, they shouldn't be weather cracked, hopefully. his has the sickle bar cutter, along with a one bottom plow.i bet if u took him 20 brand new $100 bills-he might just say-sold!! load it up!! boy-u think the seller realizes how hard we are fighting for his sale:lol: at least some of us!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That sad think is if I pull the trigger in this it won't be for my but for my son. Maybe it will let me get my 955 back. He's commandeered it. :( :)

https://youtu.be/wpUvkl9KdE0

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
That sad think is if I pull the trigger in this it won't be for my but for my son. Maybe it will let me get my 955 back. He's commandeered it. :( :)

he looks like he's having fun, and really being serious at the same time.. buy him the cub-dad!:lol:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he looks like he's having fun, and really being serious at the same time.. buy him the cub-dad!:lol:
I'm thinking I might pull the trigger. He really wants santa to bring him a cub for Christmas. The gentleman that owns it is away until next week. Then I might go look at it. Have to find a place to hide it though. If it had the fast hitch id be all over it for sure.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Went and looked at it today. Few small dents in the god but the sheet metal is pretty straight. I can't find any rust on it. Guy got a fresh battery for it but it didn't want to start. Agreed on 1800 with the wife's approval. So now I'll talk to the boss.

I'm hoping she says yes though. With a good cleaning and some buffing out it will look brand new.
:yes:

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Sometimes when those old Cubs sit for a while the valves will stick in the guides and make starting difficult. If it cranks over and sounds like some cylinders don't have compression the valves are hanging open. Just pull spark plugs and side covers off and spray some penetrating oil into the cylinders and on the valve stems. Let it sit overnight and you should be OK. I've pulled a few Cubs out of hibernation in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
it looks good to me. When i worked at Farmall plant we used them to run around the plant. They are hard to kill..Besides it's only money :gizmo:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,431 Posts
That old sucker looks great!!! :good2:

Don't forget about the points, rotor and coil, had trouble with them over the years.
Had to replace the coil once on mine, couldn't believe it went bad after 30 years.......:laugh:

Don't forget there's a generator on it, not an alternator.
You may have to re-polarize it in order to see your amp meter go positive and indicate it's putting out when engine running.

Have fun, great old machine.

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Here's one that my buddy dragged home last year. It's now running and in the process of being freshened up. It included a cultivator, sickle bar mower and a single bottom plow. I believe he paid ~$600 not knowing whether it would run at the time.

IMG_0608.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[

That might be the only kid in America getting a cub from Santa and I hope the boss sides with you because that's freakin cool!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts