Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Long story short, I have my Father In Law's old 2010. The original distributor is a Prestolite that he converted to a Pertronix electronic ignition # 15420-62. Tractor was missing so I decided to change out plugs, wires, cap & rotor as they were pretty corroded. He had a goofy shaped cap (side terminals) with hodgepodged wires. I ordered a Prestolite cap and rotor which looked nothing like what was on there. To top it off, dumb me did not note the plug locations on the cap. Questions:
Should the Prestolite cap and rotor still be used with the Pertronix ignition? It fits obviously.
Can anybody tell me how to find plug numbers on cap (or the order they are in). Neither of mine are marked so I have no idea which is 1,2,etc.
I've read that you should not use copper core wires for electronic ignition? If I need carbon, anybody have suggestions for wires?

As you can read, I am not a mechanic and would appreciate any advice. I attached a pic of the old cap. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I was employed by a JD dealer from '66-'87 working part of that time in parts dept & I never saw a distributor cap similar to the one in your photo nor is a similar cap listed in 2010 parts catalog. IIRC firing order should be on exhaust manifold with #1 cylinder being the front cylinder of the engine. Remove front spark plug then turn engine over while holding finger over plug hole to feel compression. There should be an external timing mark on flywheel or front pulley but I can't remember which place.
HTH's,Jim

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Cylinders are numbered one front, to four at the back.
Firing order: 1 - 3 - 4 - 2
Wires will go counter clockwise on the cap.
Number 1 will be towards the front of the tractor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to GTT
I was employed by a JD dealer from '66-'87 working part of that time in parts dept & I never saw a distributor cap similar to the one in your photo nor is a similar cap listed in 2010 parts catalog. IIRC firing order should be on exhaust manifold with #1 cylinder being the front cylinder of the engine. Remove front spark plug then turn engine over while holding finger over plug hole to feel compression. There should be an external timing mark on flywheel or front pulley but I can't remember which place.
HTH's,Jim
Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cylinders are numbered one front, to four at the back.
Firing order: 1 - 3 - 4 - 2
Wires will go counter clockwise on the cap.
Number 1 will be towards the front of the tractor.
So which spot is number one on the cap? Is this accurate or should 1 be where 2 is? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
So which spot is number one on the cap? Is this accurate or should 1 be where 2 is? Thanks for the help.
It's hard to tell with that style cap. You may have to rotate the engine to TDC for #1 cylinder and check where the rotor is pointing.

If I had to pick, I would start with #2 in your picture as #1

Reactions: ikepieman

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ditto rotate engine to #1 TDC remove cap to determine location of contact tab on rotor & that should be @#1
Agree, in the photo, distributor does not appear to be indexed properly. If installed by the book, the spring clips holding the cap would be one towards front and one towards the rear, appears to be about 90 degrees out, so no way of knowing how it is timed without getting on #1 tdc and see where rotor is pointing. normally #1 is toward block and toward the front. About 2 o clock position looking down on rotor, but a long as wires are installed properly for how distributor is indexed, it will run fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree, in the photo, distributor does not appear to be indexed properly. If installed by the book, the spring clips holding the cap would be one towards front and one towards the rear, appears to be about 90 degrees out, so no way of knowing how it is timed without getting on #1 tdc and see where rotor is pointing. normally #1 is toward block and toward the front. About 2 o clock position looking down on rotor, but a long as wires are installed properly for how distributor is indexed, it will run fine.
Thank you much for the advice. Appreciate it. On vacation but will get it running when home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Was able to find the correct homes for the wires and Pertonix sent me an e mail with correct cap and rotor numbers.
Were we right with our numbering of the cap?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were we right with our numbering of the cap?
On my picture, the one I had marked #4 is #1 then counter clock wise as explained. Had to use the old cap for now and ordered the one Pertronix recommended # 3-129 cap and 4-93 rotor. Thanks to you guys' help, I can close this chapter. I will be posting a new quiz reference the pto clutch in a new thread. Started mowing my field after this fix and now the pto won't engage, just grinds. Thank you so much for your help. These forums are life savers.

Thanks, Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts