Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for advice on how I need to fix my old 1964 JD 4010. Suddenly, I lost all my forward gears. I started with the shift linkage and found slop but nothing to indicate a major problem. I opened the top cover to the transmission and found that the pin that is on the side of the forward shift fork was missing, so there was nothing to push it forward or backwards via the shifter cam. You can see this in the picture. I ended up fishing out the pin with a magnet from the bottom of the case and verified part of the pin shaft is still stuck in the shift fork.

So my question is, and I'm afraid I know the answer, but do I need to split the tractor in order to remove the shaft that the shift forks ride on? Or, has anyone had luck pushing the remaining pin part out and pushing a new one on? It's in a tight location, but if I remove the cam maybe I could make some sort of clamp and push out the old and install the new. Or maybe a pancake jack.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I suppose if you can rig something to press pin out/in you could replace pin while shifter remains in tractor. Pin(R26206) is available from JD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've let my tractor sit too long, had a new baby and now it's time to get back to it. Anyone know how the bolt circled in green comes out of the case? I'm assuming it's a pressed fit since I couldn't get it to move out from the case.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,242 Posts
Remove the shifter rod(on the outside).
Remove the cotter pin.
Remove the castle nut.
Remove the shaft by sliding it outward.
The shifter quadrant will be able to be lifter out of the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flyweight, is it a pressed fit? I tried to do what you wrote there, but with everything off but the shaft itself, I couldn't get it to budge. I tried some prying from the inside after the castle nut was removed but it wasn't going anywhere. And the outside is splined so short of putting some vise grips on that and trying to pry from the outside, I'm not sure what I should do.

·
Registered
993 Posts
What I usually do, is back off the nut maybe 2 turns, but leave it on the threads/ Then take a heavy hammer and a heavy punch or a length of shaft and tap on the nut to break loose the shift cam from the shaft. There is a tapered spline that is very tight but once it breaks loose, will slide right apart. After it breaks loose, finish removing the nut and pull the shaft out. The splines have a timing mark to show how it goes back together. If nut gets too deformed from striking it with hammer, a new nut may be needed.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,242 Posts
Do as jd110 described.

Prior to removing the cam(29), remove the retainer(18), washer(19), spring(26) and pawl(15). These items are the detent assembly that locates the cam into position.

Reactions: jd110
1 - 7 of 7 Posts