Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
New member here and new to tractors. I just picked up a 1966 JD 2510 syncro range gas row-crop tractor. Couple questions that has me baffled - on the back of the tractor there is a big mount to the left of center about the same height of the top of the top-link and has kind of a 'U' rest on top what's it used for? The second thing is I haven't cleaned the tractor yet and I have a pto cover on the back of the tractor to the left and above the pto shaft. What's under it - I don't want to remove it yet because of all the crud and dirt. Thx Mike

Registered
New member here and new to tractors. I just picked up a 1966 JD 2510 syncro range gas row-crop tractor. Couple questions that has me baffled - on the back of the tractor there is a big mount to the left of center about the same height of the top of the top-link and has kind of a 'U' rest on top what's it used for? The second thing is I haven't cleaned the tractor yet and I have a pto cover on the back of the tractor to the left and above the pto shaft. What's under it - I don't want to remove it yet because of all the crud and dirt. Thx Mike
As you described the U shaped hook, it sounds like the hook to hang a hydraulic cylinder on. A picture can confirm.

Under the PTO cover should be with the 540 or 1000 rpm stub shaft, depending on which one is installed. If you do change the shaft insure that the four bolts are tight. It is also a good idea the check them periodically. If the stub shaft is allowed to run loose it can cause internal damage. As I recall, the 2510 is the same as the larger NG tractors.

TxJim will certainly see your post and double check my answers. For future reference, Jim's answers will be more accurate than mine.

Registered
That hook is to hold hydraulic cylinders. The cover is for the pto. When the pto is in use you're supposed to take the cover off and mount it to there. It's just a holder so the cover won't get lost. Hardly ever does anyone put it back over the pto and they often times get put on and left. The extra pto shaft if it has one would be sitting sideways above the pto. I have 2 2510 gas tractors and they are great little tractors. They get thirsty but start in any weather. I use one to feed cattle with all winter.

Registered
Ditto on the hook to carry a hyd cylinder when cylinder is not attached to a towed implement. DRobinson is correct that cover on LH side is a storage place for pto shaft guard BUT he made an incorrect statement because the 2510 pto stub shaft is held in place with a snap ring not 4 bolts like utilized on 3010/4010

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - I'm still learning about the tractor, those two things I couldn't find in the service manual or google. The mount is pretty beefy and couldn't figure out what attached to it, but you can see something was swinging back and forth from it by the rusted scratches. The pto cover makes sense - I couldn't imagine a second pto off center like that or any you would need it. But the cover is the same as the forward pto. I'm still getting it in work ing condition - this afternoon i pushed some dirt around then proceeded to run out of gas! But not bad for not knowing how or ever driving a tractor till last week! Can't quit my day job yet though! Thx again

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Chuck S, seeing that you have two 2510's is there anything that you've done / modified that I should try or keep an eye out for. I've done an oil & filter change and the same for the hydraulic fluid & filter. Had to change out the choke cable & rockshaft cable and a couple of leaky hydraulic hoses. I've also learned not to keep the clutch depressed for any length of time when the engine is running or you'll lose your hydraulics. I've got a 48 FEL and am I'm in the process of re-plumbing it so it's not hooked to the rear remote. I'm very impressed with how beefy the tractor is including all the sheet metal and fenders. Definitely old American Iron!

Registered
The 2510 is my favorite tractor and is a very handy machine. When they were new however they came with a 4 piston hyd pump. They were not overly successful especially with a loader. If your happy with it and it's not giving you any problems leave it alone. But if the pump gives any problem at all i'd recommend putting an 8 piston pump in. The drawback though is it will build hyd pressure quickly making it harder to start. It will also let you know pretty quick what kind of condition your motor is in. When I put the 8 piston pump in mine I knew the motor was a little weak but pulled the engine down enough I had to overhaul it. You can install a destroke valve to make it easier to start. I have no experience with that. I put a secd battery box on the other side and run 2 12 volt batteries along with a diesel starter. In -30 below weather all I have to do it just bump that starter button and it fires up right now. When changing the engine oil it takes 7 quarts. If it's like both of mine and like my uncles that he's had since new it will be above the full mark on the dipstick. That's what the book calls for and that's what we run and haven't had any problems. My second 2510 I just bought last year and needs quite a bit of work yet. It had a lot rougher life than I realized when I bought if unfortunately. When changing the hyd fluid remember there is a long round mesh screen that needs cleaned behind the hyd filter as well. The front pto is 1000 rpm and the cover is similar but they are different. I have a 48 loader as well but right now it's a 4010. My plan is to switch it to the second 2510 when I get it fixed up. If you have the 2 engine shields that have the 2510 sticker on it watch out for them. They are big money so be careful they don't grow legs and walk away. That's all I can think of right now.

Registered
When was the last time it was below 30 degrees in kansas? lol

i have a 2510 gasser, narrow front, handy little bugger but the 2510/20 is NOT the same as a new generation 3010/20. They do have the same wide front end as the 10 and 20 series, but keep in mind, they are not that heavy built, so if your really gonna work that FEL you may consider a 30 series upgrade on the front end.

I have recreated the destroke solenoid kit for these tractors that deere wants 1000 bucks for, and i think i am in for right around 100 bucks, would be less if i would bought different hydraulic hoses. if anybody is interested in what i did email me. The kit works for all 10 & 20 series tractors including the 7020/7520. Best upgrade i have done on any of them things.

Administrator
I have recreated the destroke solenoid kit for these tractors that deere wants 1000 bucks for, and i think i am in for right around 100 bucks, would be less if i would bought different hydraulic hoses. if anybody is interested in what i did email me. The kit works for all 10 & 20 series tractors including the 7020/7520. Best upgrade i have done on any of them things.
Why not create a thread and share this with everyone?

Premium Member

i have a 2510 gasser, narrow front, handy little bugger but the 2510/20 is NOT the same as a new generation 3010/20. They do have the same wide front end as the 10 and 20 series, but keep in mind, they are not that heavy built, so if your really gonna work that FEL you may consider a 30 series upgrade on the front end.
My 2030 has the optional HD front axle (two rows of bolts for the "knees" verses one row of bolts), is this what you are referring to?
I also have the optional "side plates" (bolt clutch housing to front axle support, sides of engine) recommended for loader use on my tractor. I don't know if they are std, or offered for the 2510 :dunno:

Registered
My 2030 has the optional HD front axle (two rows of bolts for the "knees" verses one row of bolts), is this what you are referring to?
I also have the optional "side plates" (bolt clutch housing to front axle support, sides of engine) recommended for loader use on my tractor. I don't know if they are std, or offered for the 2510 :dunno:
2510's were built with side frames, similar to the 3010 and 4010.

Administrator
one time i tried to correct something that was in the technical library but wasnt allowed, so i figured i wasnt smart enough HAHAH
Only staff can post to the technical library. But you can absolutely post a new thread here. Once you鈥檝e completed it, I鈥檒l copy it directly to the technical library. That way it鈥檚 in two places. :good2:

Registered

Out of curiosity why do you think the 3010/20 was better than the 2510/20. My dad bought a brand new 3020 gas and it was a boat anchor. It wouldn't start decent on a 90 degree day and forget about starting in winter. My uncle bought a 2510 gas new and tried to convince my dad not to buy a 3020 but he didn't listen. They would run in the same field side by side and my uncle was pulling a slightly bigger plow than my dad but my dad would bog down and couldn't go. There was 5 3020 gas tractors all bought in the area at one time and every one of them was the same way. The neighbors finally stopped payment on theirs and let Jd repo them but my dad bought his outright and was stuck with it. The diesel engine was a really good machine though. Problem with them now is if a replacement engine is needed they are difficult to find. The 25's have several options for repowering. I have 2 2510's, a 4010 my dad bought new, and 2 4430's. My personal opinion is the 2510 is of course smaller and lighter than the 4010 but not much that's for sure.

Registered
Out of curiosity why do you think the 3010/20 was better than the 2510/20. My dad bought a brand new 3020 gas and it was a boat anchor. It wouldn't start decent on a 90 degree day and forget about starting in winter. My uncle bought a 2510 gas new and tried to convince my dad not to buy a 3020 but he didn't listen. They would run in the same field side by side and my uncle was pulling a slightly bigger plow than my dad but my dad would bog down and couldn't go. There was 5 3020 gas tractors all bought in the area at one time and every one of them was the same way. The neighbors finally stopped payment on theirs and let Jd repo them but my dad bought his outright and was stuck with it. The diesel engine was a really good machine though. Problem with them now is if a replacement engine is needed they are difficult to find. The 25's have several options for repowering. I have 2 2510's, a 4010 my dad bought new, and 2 4430's. My personal opinion is the 2510 is of course smaller and lighter than the 4010 but not much that's for sure.
im confused, where did i say the 3010/3020 was a better tractor than the 2510/2520? I said the front ends on ALL of them are not that heavy built and you start snapping front knees and spindles using a FEL on big bales. The front ends are all the same part numbers from the 3010/20, 4010/20, 4320, & 2510/20's. If i was gonna use one of those tractors on big round bales i would go find a 4430 font end and put on it.

I am actually laying out the foundations of putting a 329 diesel in a 3020 i have, bought the whole combine for 700 bucks, the rest of the machine i am turning into a jungle gym for the kids.

I am scrapping 2 - 7700 combines for the RWA and i am putting that on one of my 5020's, i figure if JD didnt build one, i should.

my 2510 gasser is a great tractor for a 6 row planter. If i find a couple 3.6L diesels or bigger, i may repower my 2510 and a 400 industrial that i have.

Premium Member
im confused, where did i say the 3010/3020 was a better tractor than the 2510/2520? I said the front ends on ALL of them are not that heavy built and you start snapping front knees and spindles using a FEL on big bales. The front ends are all the same part numbers from the 3010/20, 4010/20, 4320, & 2510/20's. If i was gonna use one of those tractors on big round bales i would go find a 4430 font end and put on it.

I am actually laying out the foundations of putting a 329 diesel in a 3020 i have, bought the whole combine for 700 bucks, the rest of the machine i am turning into a jungle gym for the kids.

I am scrapping 2 - 7700 combines for the RWA and i am putting that on one of my 5020's, i figure if JD didnt build one, i should.

my 2510 gasser is a great tractor for a 6 row planter. If i find a couple 3.6L diesels or bigger, i may repower my 2510 and a 400 industrial that i have.
Post the builds if you proceed.

Registered

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. This flu i'm going through has my brain in a fog. The front ends are all identical. My 4010 had the original front under it for several years with a loader. I never used it as a bulldozer so I never had any problems. My first 2510 came with an aftermarket front end that was junk. I ended up getting a 4430 conversion front end and put it under the 4010 and put the other under my 2510. I'm considering repowering my second 2510 but haven't decided yet. Sounds like some nice projects you're working on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts