Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping my brother get his '69 4520 running again, but it has some issues. The fuel-shutoff solenoid was bad, and we replaced it once. It promptly burned out. The store replaced it at no cost, but I'm reluctant to replace it until we eliminate any reasons it may have burnt out in the first place. When I check, the lead to the shutoff solenoid is only getting 0.8 volts. I can't find any tech manuals that show what voltage it's supposed to be getting, so I assume it's 12 volts, no? I could install the new solenoid, but I don't want to risk burning out another $120 part. Also, the alternator becomes hot to the touch in short order. Help me Obio-Wan-Kenobi! Tell me what has to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I have no 4520 tech manual but I fairly confident that solenoid requires 12 volts for engagement. Hot alternator indicates over charging. Have you checked alternator voltage output?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
4520 uses a 12 Volt system.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You definitely need 12 volts to the fuel solenoid. It's possible there is nothing wrong with your existing solenoid other than low voltage. You need to figure out where the resistance in the circuit is to correct it. There is a connector under the hood near the firewall that I would check first. Probably some corrosion in there causing the voltage drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, that gives me another couple of things to check out. I used a multi-meter to check the voltage coming off the alternator, and it showed 13.2 volts. But, I may be doing it wrong. Also will check out the connections at the firewall. I'm afraid part of the problem is a short somewhere in the wiring harness, and replacing that won't be cheap.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Does the alternator get hot while cranking? Just sitting with the key on? I'm assuming the tractor won't actually RUN at the moment, seeing as how you said the fuel solenoid is bad. The alternator and everything else should get hot while running but if not running that's a bad sign IME.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts