Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the filter element (part R27173) on a John Deere 3020? Where is it located? Easy to change? Can it be clogged? Been chasing down a hydraulic problem; changed fluid twice, cleaned sump screen, changed filters. Still have chatter in power steering. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,032 Posts
According to the parts illustration it is on the back of the hydraulic pump. Not sure if this helps.

3020_pump1.jpg

3020_pump.jpg

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If filter(R27173) is clogged I would think tractor won't have a very good maintenance record. I don't ever remember seeing one of those filters clogged in my 21 yrs employment at JD dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If filter(R27173) is clogged I would think tractor won't have a very good maintenance record. I don't ever remember seeing one of those filters clogged in my 21 yrs employment at JD dealership.
I just purchased the tractor. I have no record of maintenance. Judging by the number of times I've had to change the hydraulic fluid and clean the sump screen, anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I just purchased the tractor. I have no record of maintenance. Judging by the number of times I've had to change the hydraulic fluid and clean the sump screen, anything is possible.
What type of foreign material is clogging sump screen?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type of foreign material is clogging sump screen?
When I bought the tractor and immediately did all the fluid/filter changes, it was obvious there was a lot of water in the hydraulic/transmission fluid. The sump screen is clogged with what I am concerned might be clutch lining, but that is what I have been told by a well meaning friend. It is an off white fiber-ism material that plugged the screen. I'm on my fourth flush. Last one was pretty minor. But know I am having the classic 3020 delay in power steering and experiencing PTO slippage under load. Just looking for other options. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If your tractor has syncro-range trans the only clutch like material that could get in sump screen is brake material or possibly diff lock lining if so equipped. I don't remember ever seeing diff lock linings separate. On subject of slipping pto clutch is oil getting into clutch housing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your tractor has syncro-range trans the only clutch like material that could get in sump screen is brake material or possibly diff lock lining if so equipped. I don't remember ever seeing diff lock linings separate. On subject of slipping pto clutch is oil getting into clutch housing?
I have no confess my ignorance--how would I assess that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're referring to hyd sump screen here's a photo with location.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. How would I assess if oil was getting into the clutch housing. I have had to clean the sump screen three times. It is finally clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts