Green Tractor Talk banner

1971 1020 Steering Box Leaking from Shaft

3152 Views 15 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Zebrafive
I have a persistent hydraulic leak dripping from the bottom of the clutch bellhousing. I can follow the leak up the side of the bellhousing and it appears to be leaking from the seal around the shaft the steering arm is connected to. I just replaced this seal in an attempt to fix the leak. I did clean up the surface of the shaft when it was out. I'm planning to replace the seal again this time applying some permatex to the outside of the seal, but I'm wondering if the fluid reservoir return to the rear end is partially blocked and allowing the reservoir to pressurize enough to push fluid out the seal? I don't think it's leaking enough that it's draining the steering reservoir - eventually it stops. Relieving pressure would explain that. I've cleaned out the reservoir including the drain passage on the right side that was completely blocked and can't find where the fluid returns to the rear end of the tractor. The technical manual describes the return being near the top of the reservoir but I couldn't find it through the cover on the right side. Do I need to remove the column to access it? I want to verify it's clear before replacing this seal again.
Reactions: 1
1 - 4 of 16 Posts
Gumbi
It's been at least since 1987 that I looked inside the clutch housing of a JD 20-55 series utility tractor. I think 1st photo shows hole for return oil where power steering housing bolts to top of clutch housing. 2nd photo showing your red arrow & if opening was connected to power steering return oil galley appears that oil would return in clutch housing where dry clutches reside which would be a big No-No. Is the hole that red arrow is aimed at open or plugged? I think clutch housings are identical for manual & power steering tractors. What's the casting # on your 1020 clutch housing?
TxJim, second picture, red arrow is on the "wet" side of the clutch housing. The larger picture Gumbi posted shows the mount for the transmission pump and the front support bearing for the PTO shaft. Gumbi also stated the other end of this passage is where the steering column mounts.
Gumbi, you said your tractor did NOT come with power steering.
Do you need/want it?
It think it would be expensive to add, but think it could be done.
My 2030 has power steering. It is a MUST with a loader
I'll stick my neck out and say manual and power steering will use the same bolt pattern on the clutch housing.
You could pull your steering column (I know a lot of work) I've had mine off on my 2030 once. Then look for the return oil passage. If it's there, next would be determine what donor models steering column would work.
This one from eBay lists1020 in the description, just not the Title. Area in red (I marked) is what I think is return
Tool Font Gas Engineering Machine
See less See more
That's why in my post #14, I suggested he pull the column to verify he has a return hole if he intends to add PS.
Reactions: 1
1 - 4 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.