Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, so if I make some mistakes, please understand me. So I have a hydraulic problem with this old JD. Everything worked fine until a week ago, when oil started coming out from the gear lever area and I saw smoke coming from the hydraulic pump in the front. The result of this incident: now the rock shaft does not lift. I do not have any mechanical knowledge so I'm asking for your help...what might have caused the oil leak and the smoke from the hydraulic pump and what is broken now? I've read a few pages from a JD 2140 manual..in which I found that the leak from the gear lever might be an oil release valve, which might mean too much pressure? I don't know, maybe the oil overheated or something? The manual also said that the transmission oil filter might be clogged up. The tractor has been sitting for at least 3-4 months maybe even a few years, I don't know exactly. Any help is welcomed.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Welcome to GTT
Smoke coming from frt hyd pump doesn't sound as if hyd's can be brought back to life without some very serious hyd diagnostics. Oil coming out close to gearshift levers sounds as if an o-ring or gasket has failed.

·
Premium Member
19,564 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

Reactions: jd2310

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Welcome to GTT
Smoke coming from frt hyd pump doesn't sound as if hyd's can be brought back to life without some very serious hyd diagnostics. Oil coming out close to gearshift levers sounds as if an o-ring or gasket has failed.
I'll have a mechanic look at it. But what might be the cause of this? The pump might have been deffective? I found a repair kit online for the 2130 hyd pump, but I don't know if it's the right thing or not, it costs around $100. I'll attach an image with it.

Text Product Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll have to see when the mechanic will take it apart. He told me it could either be the pump or the hydraulic distributor. What should he check for in the hydraulic system? Does smoke mean I had no oil running to the pump and it got very hot?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I've never witnessed a JD closed center hyd pump emit smoke but I think there must have been an absence of oil for smoke to be emitted. I surrender:flag_of_truce: I don't know what your mechanic is referring to as "hyd distributor"!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: The front hyd pump had broke. I repaired it by changing its shaft, the hyd pump cap and the shaft bearing. The hyd system still didn't work. I put hyd oil in the top reservoir (the one near the radiator) and the hyds were back to life. The power steering also worked. So the hyds and power steering only work if I put oil in the top reservoir. That means I have a problem on the hyd return system. Either the transmission oil pump or an internal hyd line leak? I have to split the tractor to check them, so it's a big job. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Back in the 70's when I served as a JD dealer service manager I was taught to check/repair the simplest things 1st IE ""KISS"". 1st thing I recommend for you to do is change hyd filter & check/clean trans oil sump screen(key 30). Also check to be sure hyd filter relief valve(keys 18-20) isn't stuck open. Hyd oil needs to be drained to perform these tasks so prepare to catch about 8-9 gallons of oil. Perform these simple tasks then report back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
Check my "2030 lost all hydraulics" thread. (maybe someone with computer smarts, which I lack :mocking: can link the thread)

I would start with filters and sump screen, then filter relief valve, exactly as TxJim stated. Next check for transmission pump flow. A 5 gallon bucket directly below the filter housing, no filter or housing installed. Unless you have a ported filter housing, if so, attach a hose to the port and catch flow if any, in bucket. Expect 6gpm at 1500rpm. So only run the tractor about 10 to 20 seconds for 1 2 gallons.
You might want to disconnect the front pump so it wound be running without oil.

Reactions: jd2310

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello!I know it is an old thread, but the problem is still not fixed. I narrowed it down to something related to the trans pump. I already removed the cab, but I have a few questions about how to split it. What do I need to disconnect more exactly (apart from hyd line, wiring harness). I read that I have to take out the shifter cover, but they were talking about some springs and balls. I would appreciate any information about how to split the tractor and how to remove the transmission pump.

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
To get to the transmission pump you need to do a clutch housing to transmission case split.
The reason the shifters (shift cover) has to come off is there are two bolts hidden under it that go from the clutch housing to the transmission case. No balls to worry about (maybe you are confusing shift cover with shift rails), which do not need to be removed. Put both levers in neutral before removing the cover.
There is a spring on one shift rail that must come off so the shift rail will clear the opening of the clutch housing as the tractor is split. See drawing circled in red
Auto part Diagram Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive window part

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
You may want to start a new thread in UTILITY TRACTORS

"Help splitting a JD 2130 for transmission pump repair"

Guys that know splitting tractor may never see your post in HYDRAULICS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.