Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1982 1050 (sn 8206)is a Yanmar tractor painted in John Deere green. I'm having problems with my PTO. While mowing the other day the PTO kicked out now it won't fully engage. I have just now adjusted the PTO clutch and it's working properly.The PTO lever is supposed to have 2 detents but it travels aft (disengage) farther than the "disengage" detent. The detent in the "engaged" position does not engage the PTO however, if I push past the detent, it will engage but not fully and will pop out at the first bump. Any ideas on what the malfunction is?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You mentioned that you just adjusted the pto clutch. Does that indicate the clutch was out of adjustment enough that the gears scraped when you tried to engage the pto prior to the adjustment? If so, then you hae probably developed burrs on the gears that won't allow full engagement now. You may need to disassemble the transmission to file off the burrs or replace the damaged gears. If you are lucky, you may be able to "force" the gears past the burrs by engaging the lever as far as possible by hand and then tap gently on lever to get it past the burrs. If you can get it in and out of gear fully several times this way, it might smooth off the burrs enough to work smoothly again. If you get too aggressive trying to engage this way, you risk breaking the shift lever or fork, so be careful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JD 1050 S pto not working

I have the pto problem Lee has too. Free spinning both directions on the tractor spline and and extra position for disengage. I did get it to work briefly, but no matter where the lever was the pto was engaged/spinning. Where can I get schematics of the pto system? I know nothing of the clutch system...so no idea where to look ....any info would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have the pto problem Lee has too. Free spinning both directions on the tractor spline and and extra position for disengage. I did get it to work briefly, but no matter where the lever was the pto was engaged/spinning. Where can I get schematics of the pto system? I know nothing of the clutch system...so no idea where to look ....any info would be most appreciated!
Go to this site (John Deere Parts catalog) John Deere - Parts Catalog and put in your tractor model # and then you can look up the specific area that you are interested in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Broken fork

After taking to 3 different people, yep had to take the top off and get inside the transfer case. Broken PTO fork....
Nice clean break. Now how does one remove the shaft to put a new fork on? Nver been this far inside my tractor : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts