Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring my pedal tractor that I had for my grandson. I have discovered during this process that I apparently cannot use google :smash:. Could someone tell me what color green they used on those please.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have been told that there are two versions of John Deere green for the real thing (vintage and modern) but I've only ever seen Ertl's in the brighter " modern" green. If it has any paint left on it, you can take it into CarQuest and they can color match a can of new paint to the old stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question, will it be worth more money to my grandson if he decided to sell it later in life if it is fully restored or left in original condition?

·
Premium Member
10,049 Posts
Without seeing it, it's hard to say. Generally speaking, good condition originals are always worth more because something is only original once. Of course, there comes a point where something may be so worn out and in such poor shape that restoring it would make it sell for a little more. Whether or not the additional profit outweighs the actual costs of the restoration depends greatly on the item, condition, and a million other things.

How old is your grandson? Would he be at an age that he would want to play with the tractor, or is he old enough to understand tools and working on things a little? Personally, I might be inclined to leave it original and let him play with it, then maybe down the road let fixing it up be a project he could be involved with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is only 5 months old right now. I was wanting to give it to him for his 1st birthday in November. It really isn't in bad shape, its just missing 1 front wheel that fell off when I was little so i'll have to replace that, both rear wheels are a little rusty and missing the chrome hubs and the paint is faded pretty bad. Other than that the axle, front post, steering shaft and pedal arm are all just rusty. I was thinking of sandblasting the axle, post, shaft and pedal arm and spraying them to prevent more rust. I'm not sure if I should repaint the tractor or not.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
In my case, I restored this one as a "collectible", also, there wasn't much more than a shell to start with. It's up to you to decide what you want to do with it. Personally, from your description, I would repair & repaint! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
301 Posts
The memories are the most important thing to me...

I can remember my grandfather taking me out to the cellar on Christmas Eve when I was 3 years old to have me discover my new John Deere hidden under the stairs with a big red bow on it... I rode the tires off of that thing literally, there wasn't any rubber on the back tires when it was put in the shed.

I discovered her again last spring cleaning out the shed and all those memories came flooding back including ripping that big red bow off, all the pedal power tractor pulls and "working on my Deere".

I had to give the old girl a new life and restore her place in the family.

20140721_210420.jpg 20140725_203149.jpg 20140730_214157.jpg

My grandfather is now 85 years old and still gets around the farm and pulls is '47 G all around the country, but seeing his face when I showed him the restore was every bit as sweet as ripping that bow off Christmas Eve.

Now I watch my niece, nephew and my girlfriends daughter having the same good clean fun I had 35 years ago... even though I could have bought 2 new ones for what is invested in the restoration of this old pedal tractor... it's priceless to me!

Enjoy those memories with your grandson!!

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Nice work JD322.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to thank all of you for your advice and I will post some before and after pics when I get started. I am waiting on it to warm up and stop raining all the time right now. I do however have one more question. Would it be better to sandblast or use paint stripper to remove the old paint? I am going to have to scrape the dirt dauber nests off of the outside on it. I have read that aircraft paint stripper works well so does sandblasting with baking powder. I don't really have access to a sandblaster but I can get one if need be.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
I would like to thank all of you for your advice and I will post some before and after pics when I get started. I am waiting on it to warm up and stop raining all the time right now. I do however have one more question. Would it be better to sandblast or use paint stripper to remove the old paint? I am going to have to scrape the dirt dauber nests off of the outside on it. I have read that aircraft paint stripper works well so does sandblasting with baking powder. I don't really have access to a sandblaster but I can get one if need be.
I used a chemical stripper w/steel wool & wire brushes to clean mine. I think it was "Zip Strip" brand!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm happy to hear that another pedal tractor will be brought back to its former glory! Like a bull in a China closet, I went after the castings with a wire wheel, a crimped one, not the knotted type. And although that worked well for the smooth flat areas, I used a citrus stripper that was sitting on the shelf from another project for the engine details as well as the girlls , it was so easy I wish I had stripped every thing with it. Good luck! Have you found your wheels yet?

Your grandson is a lucky lad!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
You guys make me proud. :thumbup1gif: Family, memories, and an old Deere rider, how wonderful to bring the tractor and memories back to life. A number of years ago I decided to restore the Deere I gave to my youngest. He's nearly forty with two young boys of his own. As a 4-5 year old he was c r a z y about tractors. When we'd be in the car, and he was asleep, you couldn't even say John Deere or tractor, otherwise he'd wake up. :laugh:

Okay, back to the restore. The rider and pull wagon were place in the attic after a few years as he literally wore the rear wheel out. So the condition wasn't too bad. New wheels from our dealer and paint was all it took.

The first picture is, well, I tell people when I bought my 1026R I had to give my wife a Deere also. :laugh:
IMG_0013.JPG
Second is my grand-daughter riding as my grandson looks longingly on. You can see the wagon on the back, no restore was required as it was in great condition.
IMG_0019.JPG

Oh, BTW, I tell people she didn't get a lot of work with the Deere, she said it's all about the ride . . . . :lolol:

Shh, Don't tell her I posted this picture. :hide:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm happy to hear that another pedal tractor will be brought back to its former glory! Like a bull in a China closet, I went after the castings with a wire wheel, a crimped one, not the knotted type. And although that worked well for the smooth flat areas, I used a citrus stripper that was sitting on the shelf from another project for the engine details as well as the girlls , it was so easy I wish I had stripped every thing with it. Good luck! Have you found your wheels yet?

Your grandson is a lucky lad!

Yes I believe I have found everything I need at Dakotah Toys - Madison, SD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts