8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

so here is what I have.

Full battery
purple to small terminal and other small terminal to ground
positive battery cable to large top terminal
black cable from other large terminal to starter

small red wire from top large terminal to fuse that is bolted just above starter solenoid
small red wire coming out other side of fuse to ket switch

with key in "off" position voltage across large terminals 12.6
with key in "off" position, no voltage across small terminals

with key in "run" position voltage across large terminals 11.1
with key in "run" position, no voltage across small terminals

hour meter is clicking, oil and battery light are lit on dash
headlights turn on

I have sat on the mower and pressed the brake and no clicking

with key in "start" position voltage across large terminals 8.0
with key in "start" position, no voltage across small terminals

fuse on red wire is good, fuse on pink wire is good

Please help me with what I am missing???????????

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,565 Posts
Machine needs at least 9 volts to energize starter solenoid.
Bad connection somewhere or weak battery.

Below is the wiring diagram. There are S/N breaks for certain components.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The FIRST thing I would do is remove battery and take to auto parts store for free load testing! You say "full battery" but voltage alone does not indicate battery health! Load test battery FIRST and then we'll carry on with possibilities like poor contacts! Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The FIRST thing I would do is remove battery and take to auto parts store for free load testing! You say "full battery" but voltage alone does not indicate battery health! Load test battery FIRST and then we'll carry on with possibilities like poor contacts! Bob
battery came straight from store. So now I am trying to find if there is a voltage drop or something not making a good connection. Chasing purple wire.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When you installed the new battery, did you scrape the connections clean...bright silvery, and not gray colored? Check voltage from battery post to battery post. Then battery post to frame or engine. then + terminal/connector on battery to frame, then terminal on starter (from battery to frame). All readings should be within tenths of a volt. If not, could be failing Pos battery cable. If these readings are good, check + battery post to ground connector on - cable, then to - battery cable terminal. This will indicate if Neg battery cable is OK. If cables appear OK, remove fuses and clean terminals.

If cables and fuse terminals are OK, I'd replace ignition switch. Switch is 25-30 years old and probably on it's way out! Otherwise, it remove & clean all wire terminals. Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you installed the new battery, did you scrape the connections clean...bright silvery, and not gray colored? Check voltage from battery post to battery post. Then battery post to frame or engine. then + terminal/connector on battery to frame, then terminal on starter (from battery to frame). All readings should be within tenths of a volt. If not, could be failing Pos battery cable. If these readings are good, check + battery post to ground connector on - cable, then to - battery cable terminal. This will indicate if Neg battery cable is OK. If cables appear OK, remove fuses and clean terminals.

If cables and fuse terminals are OK, I'd replace ignition switch. Switch is 25-30 years old and probably on it's way out! Otherwise, it remove & clean all wire terminals. Bob
post to post 12.6
post to frame 12.6
clamp to frame 12.6
starter to frame 0.0
starter to + terminal on battery 12.6
large terminal to large terminal starter solenoid 12.6

did continuity test on key switch and things checked out fine.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Starting to think, but not convinced, a solenoid issue. From your first post:

Disconnect purple wire from solenoid. connect meter to purple wire and to ground. Turn key to "Start"...should have 12+volts.

I can't locate an ohm reading, but thinking a few, maybe 4 ohms, for the windings in the solenoid. Set meter to ohms, connect meter from small stud (where purple wire attaches) and other lead on ground. Report reading. If nearly 0 ohms, solenoid windings have shorted. When key goes to "Start" windings don't have enough power to fully pull in starter contacts. Corrosion on contacts, due to age & use, require a strong force from the solenoid to make good contact.

While meter is set to ohms, check + battery terminal to battery stud on solenoid and then - battery terminal to frame. Thinking you should see around .001 ohms or less! Not sure how small meter will read so you may show 0 ohms.

Sorry for all the checks & questions, but I'm at a loss right now! Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Disconnect purple wire from solenoid. connect meter to purple wire and to ground. Turn key to "Start"...should have 12+volts.

I can't locate an ohm reading, but thinking a few, maybe 4 ohms, for the windings in the solenoid. Set meter to ohms, connect meter from small stud (where purple wire attaches) and other lead on ground. Report reading. If nearly 0 ohms, solenoid windings have shorted. When key goes to "Start" windings don't have enough power to fully pull in starter contacts. Corrosion on contacts, due to age & use, require a strong force from the solenoid to make good contact.

While meter is set to ohms, check + battery terminal to battery stud on solenoid and then - battery terminal to frame. Thinking you should see around .001 ohms or less! Not sure how small meter will read so you may show 0 ohms.

I will try this later today, thanks bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

purple wire disconnect to ground key all the way to start - 10.2
when trying to read ohms, all I am seeing is a flashing - . no numbers
when I test for continuity, it beeps in all then places I am testing for ohms

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
10.2 on purple wire is a little low, but should activate solenoid. Is battery still at 12.6 volts?

"when trying to read ohms, all I am seeing is a flashing - . no numbers" I'm not familiar with your meter so no clue "what" it's telling you! Gonna assume with leads in air, you get no flashing and no numbers or maybe no flashing and just a blank screen, and when leads are touched together, you get "0". If so, meter may be trying to read a value out of range. Set meter to highest range and take reading. If still flashing, turn meter down one range. Continue until you get a reading! Also, I'm assuming your trying to measure from terminal on solenoid to ground and with wire on solenoid still disconnected. Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10.2 on purple wire is a little low, but should activate solenoid. Is battery still at 12.6 volts?

"when trying to read ohms, all I am seeing is a flashing - . no numbers" I'm not familiar with your meter so no clue "what" it's telling you! Gonna assume with leads in air, you get no flashing and no numbers or maybe no flashing and just a blank screen, and when leads are touched together, you get "0". If so, meter may be trying to read a value out of range. Set meter to highest range and take reading. If still flashing, turn meter down one range. Continue until you get a reading! Also, I'm assuming your trying to measure from terminal on solenoid to ground and with wire on solenoid still disconnected. Bob
ok, ohm measuring from solenoid small terminal(where purple wire goes, wire disconnected) to ground is reading the same as when touching the leads together.

purple terminal to + large terminal on solenoid 12.6 key off, 11.0 key in run, 3.2 key in start

getting 12.6 from hot going into key switch from + battery terminal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

just ran leads directly from battery to the two small terminals and it tried to start with key in off position and purple wire disconnected. That must mean there is a bad connection somewhere along the purple wire path. Am I correct?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm not sure what/where the 2nd small terminal is, but if you put 12 volts to the terminal where the purple wire was connected and it cranked, yes, an issue in the purple wire path. Bob

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I would probably add a relay (starting improvement kit) at this point. You do want to clean up the connections on the purple wire, but the kit was made because the will continue to degrade and low voltage at to solenoid causes starting problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I have taken the whole tractor apart to get all the panels moved to get to the purple wire. Test show continuity through the whole purple wire. In doing this, I took off the whole back end with the seat. Coming off the tractor, I knew I would find the wire for the seat switch. There is also a random yellow wire with a male plug on it, but no where for it to plug into. It's not on and wiring diagram I have. Where could it go?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yellow wire is for rear lights, if installed.
Continuity is not the issue voltage is... and possibly amperage. With key in "Start" and low voltage...per your first post... I'm back to solenoid OR corroded/dirty connections. Ryd has a good point on starter improvement kit. Otherwise, it's disconnecting every terminal between the battery and the solenoid (purple wire terminal) ! Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts