Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant System. Flushed completely till ran clear, new hoses, new thermostat and gasket, new coolant, getting new rad cap today. This is the overfill tank. Video attached...

Idled for 30-45min...no change. With cap off the water swells to top then pops the bubble. Over and over.

With cap on and let pressure build, when remove cap you can here water settle back down in system with engine off.

No water or oil mixture in either crank nor radiator.

Unless it's a huge air pocketit looks to me like its air pumped in...

I'm thinking head gasket...what say you?

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Until you get 1/2dozen heat cycles or possibly more your looking for a problem that may not exist.

After getting my injectors changed on my truck it took 2 weeks of daily driving to purge the air completely. This is the job of the overflow system. Just keep that bottle filled to the line and and see if it slows then stops taking in more fluid.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Sounds as if compression is entering cooling system from blown head gasket,cracked cyl head or leaking cylinder liner(cavitation).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Until you get 1/2dozen heat cycles or possibly more your looking for a problem that may not exist.

After getting my injectors changed on my truck it took 2 weeks of daily driving to purge the air completely. This is the job of the overflow system. Just keep that bottle filled to the line and and see if it slows then stops taking in more fluid.
I see no correlation with changing fuel injectors & getting air in cooling system. Can you please explain their correlation? Was cyl head removed to change injectors?

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I see no correlation with changing fuel injectors & getting air in cooling system. Can you please explain their correlation? Was cyl head removed to change injectors?
Changing diesel injectors requires draining the entire cooling system, otherwise antifreeze will pour into the cylinders. The coolant path goes directly around injector sleeves.

Gm duramax lb7

·
Registered
715 Posts
The symptom sounds like a head gasket to me. Usually if air can get into the coolant, then coolant can get into the oil. Take the filler cap off and see if there is a grey oily foam on it. If there is, then it's probably as you suspect.

Al

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
That’s a fairly rare setup to have the injectors be in direct contact with the coolant. Most are like spark plugs with a dedicated hole directly into the precups or into the cylinders.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
That’s a fairly rare setup to have the injectors be in direct contact with the coolant. Most are like spark plugs with a dedicated hole directly into the precups or into the cylinders.
There are cups, they are just prone to coming out with the injector.

That said, my coolant system was drained, and it took a while to purge 100%.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm not familiar with Chevy DM engine BUT sounds like poor engineering to me compared to all the tractors that can have the injectors changed without draining coolant.
TxJim, unfortunately some of the newer Deere engines Have these sleeves the injectors fit into as well. The sleeve is sealed with orings. Most engines since they have gone to HPCR (high pressure common rail). Just one more area to worry about coolant getting into cylinders or crankase or loss through exhaust , not to mention egr coolers. Emissions garbage has turned a once simple engine design into an electronic, mechanical nightmare. Definitely not the case with a 1050 engine.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
jd110
Thanks for heads up. It seems to me the more technology advances the further behind we get.
Or causes more problems than it solves.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out after Tear Down...

Head was cracked between Injector and Valve on Cylinders 1 & 2. Took to Allied Auto in Atlanta. They Welded and reworked the head. Said as long as the crack didn't shoot down the tubes we would be good. They did a Jam up Job.

After my careless order of the wrong Gasket from JD ig is Rock n Rolling again.

I bought the old model gasket before my serial #, put it on...knowing it didnt look right, I cranked it down...water poured on flush. Took head back off. The Fire Rings on the Gasket sat on Top of the of the Sleeves...logical thinking told me that didnt look right to begin with...o well.

Looking at spending another $150+ for the correct Gasket...I opted to simply take needle nose and pop the Fire Ring off Gasket. Fit Perfect on outside of Sleeves. Tightened back down...No Leaks, No Bubbles. Have worked it hard in the Ga Heat twice and no issues.

So in summary...the Old Gasket with Fire Ring overlap cost $125 or so. The New gasket was $150+....take material OFF old style..no more charges. Deere charges more for less Material.

Will see if it bites me in the end.

I opted to leave the rings alone for this round.

I will say this. I changed the JD temperature sensor out to a gauge. Book says it should run 170. Typically it is hanging around 190. Did bump to 220 while Bush Hogging, but believe it was due to vents getting clogged and no air flow.

Can you splice a Temp gauge wire to a sensor wire in order to use both....old light stays on as it is not in the circuit anymore...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yea...$300 for the Head Repair..$125 for Gasket plus all gaskets and fluids to get back together....could have been a lot worse....area of $500 to get back running Correctly....now how long will it last.

My 2nd Head Job...1st was a Nissan Altima....enough said on that one haha.

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts