Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hydro cylinder shown is pouring fluid when ever I lift or lower the backhoe boom. You all walked me thru a problem a couple weeks back on this machine and was hoping for some more info. as you can see, I have the arm extended as far as I can get it and all the pressure is off of the piston because it moves when shaken by hand. To replace the leaking seal( I think??) I loosen the nut/bolt that locks the pivot pin into place then remove the pivot pin. After this is removed, I knock loose the large external locking nut on the cylinder/ram. I then pull the silver ram out as far as I can, then remove the locking nut/bolts that keep it in place.....correct???????I know I do not know the proper names of item, but I do not have the shop manual or owners manual yet. thank you all for any info I might receive. I plan on starting the work Saturday morning around 7am.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
JDParts is your friend Brian:thumbup1gif:

Boom Cylinder
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTY SERIAL NO.REMARKS
124H1576WasherAR 1-13/16" X 2-15/16" X 0.075" (SU B FOR H89524, THIS APPLICATION)
U11649WasherAR
2R81851Bushing1
3RE32891Hydraulic Cylinder Barrel1 (SUB FOR RE27534)
4H170539Nut1
5T162396Lubrication Fitting2 (SUB FOR JD7759, THIS APPLICATION ) (SUB FOR JD7798)1/8", STRAIGHT
6R81775Wear Ring1 (BK)
7H145456Piston1 (SUB FOR R81977)
8RE20343Seal1 (BK)
9......Hydr. Cylinder Rod Guide1 ( R81972 NO LONGER AVAILABLE) (SU B H157978 ) (ALSO ORDER AH210484)
10F950RO-Ring1 (BK)
11R81862Back-Up Ring1 (BK)
12RE20757Seal1 (RK)
13R81973Seal1 (RK)
14R81787Ring1
15R81975Wear Ring1 (RK)
16RE24536Seal1 (RK)(SUB FOR RE20487)
17R81793Nut1
1840M7180Snap Ring2
19R82960Bushing1
20RE32893Hydraulic Cylinder Rod1 (SUB FOR RE27509)
21R91731RingAR (DISASSEMBLY AID TOOL)(SUB FOR R84031)
2219M7758Cap Screw1 M12 X 130
23T125916Pin Fastener1 (SUB FOR T100309)
2414M7319Lock Nut1 M12
25T125917Pin Fastener1 (SUB FOR T100310)
26RE32890Hydraulic Cylinder1742689-
AH212101Hydraulic Cylinder Kit1 (BK) BORE SEAL(SUB FOR AH149844)
RE20595Hydraulic Cylinder Kit1 (RK) ROD SEAL
RE27508Hydraulic Cylinder1-742688

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually looking at the site as your reply came in. I looked back over the other fix and saw where you I believe put that link on it. Thank you for the info again. I have printed out the exploded view and will use it tomorrow morning.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Sorry if I sounded like I was blowing you off and telling you to find out for yourself...

Yes, you remove the large nut, then pull the rod and piston out to get to the seals. JD does sell a "kit" that includes everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there different kits or just one? Also, I was told by the local JD parts dept. that I needed to get the cylinder number?? I can not locate a tag or stamp of any kind on the cylinder. Do you know what he may be talking about? I planed on removing the parts, then going to the jd parts counter and letting him decide what parts I needed. I still don"t know about the numbers he wants..thanks again Kennyd

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Gimme an hour or so and I will check again...

OK, I only see one kit, and no mention of a cylinder # or serial number break-but they might have better info at the dealer. Or I could just be missing it:laugh:

Here is the kit I see:

Boom Cylinder Repair Kit (Cylinder Rod)
1RE20491Seal1
2R81856Seal1
3R81779Wear Ring1
4RE24535Seal1
(SUB FOR RE20487)
5RE20434Hydraulic Cylinder Kit1
ROD

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same problem getting boom piston out.

I still can not get the piston out of the hydro cylinder. I have supported the cylinder and removed the outside nut and hydro line.I have a come-a-long attached and it came out without trouble all the while blowing hydro fluid all over the place, but it stoped coming out easily, so I stoped pulling. It sucked the piston back into the cylinder. So what the heck am I doing wrong? I know there is a nut on the end of the shaft, but how do I remove the shaft?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
OK, I think there may be an internal expanding ring, and that is what part #21 does...release it.

Is there a plastic sleeve looking thing in the seal kit? I know on mine (much smaller though) there is a orange plastic ring that must place inside the internal groove so the rind can slide over it.

Confused yet? Do this: Push the packing nut into the cylinder and reach in and feel for a groove. There is a ring (#14 I believe) that is on the packing nut and getting stuck in that groove. It must be filled in to get the nut out. I have heard of people filling this groove with Bondo just to get the cylinder apart before that buy the seal kit.

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try pushing it back in tomorrow morning and see. After removing the outside nut, there was a plastic type seal that fell apart and the metal shown in the picture is what is left. I see a rubber "o" ring behind this metal ring that is very loose. I'm not sure what you mean about feeling with my finger for a ring, the fit is so tight ( maybe a 2mm gap on all sides. I did go out and try to push rod back in, but it would not go in. Not sure why? Number 21 says (disassembly aid tool) out beside it. Does it mean I need a special tool? or is it saying this ring helps in removing the parts? I was thinking that after I removed the large outside nut, bled off the hydro fluid the rod would pull out of the cylinder and have all the parts listed on the parts sheet, on the rod and locked onto it with a nut on the end. But it still will not come out.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
I will try pushing it back in tomorrow morning and see. After removing the outside nut, there was a plastic type seal that fell apart and the metal shown in the picture is what is left.
Not sure what that is...

I see a rubber "o" ring behind this metal ring that is very loose. I'm not sure what you mean about feeling with my finger for a ring, the fit is so tight ( maybe a 2mm gap on all sides. I did go out and try to push rod back in, but it would not go in. Not sure why?
Since you have the big nut off, the large assembly that holds all the seals (the packing) should push into the cylinder bore-like push it in 3 or 4 inches, the groove you need to feel for (Not ring as you wrote) will be on the inside wall of the cylinder body about 1" or so down inside, and since you will have pushed the packing down deeper that that it should be obvious.

The ring I mentioned may be stuck in the groove now, and that's why you can't push it in. Some force may need to be applied.

This ring expands into that groove as you try to pull the rod out and that is what is stopping you I believe.

Number 21 says (disassembly aid tool) out beside it. Does it mean I need a special tool? or is it saying this ring helps in removing the parts?
I think it comes with the seal kits, that is what I asked if you have bought them yet. I also mentioned filling this groove with Bondo if you do not have the tool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Kennyd for explaining what to do in "simplified Alabama English", I now understand what to do. The seal kit should have come in Monday, but there was some type of hold up with shipping. I am hoping it will be in today as I will be close to the only JD dealer in our area and its a 1 hour drive from home. Thank you again for all the information you have provided Kennyd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kit still not in at shop. I did speak with the service manager, and says they will cover shipping cost and send it to my house when it comes in. Also he lives about a mile from me and has agreed to come by and take a look. will have to see if he can see what I'm doing wrong. I did get the rod unstuck, I just hooked up the hydro line and let it pull itself back in. But still can not get it to push into the cylinder so that I can get a look at this groove. Will update as progress is made. Thanks again for the info

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Keep us up to date Brian. I hope I am not leading you down the wrong path with my info!:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The steps to getting the cylinder apart is as follows

1 Extend backhoe arm all the way out, open the bucket all the way and put the boom down til its all one the ground.

2 Release all hydraulic pressure by moving the controls all around with machine off.

3 Remove both hoses going to cylinder barrel.

4 Now break the large spanner nut loose on the end of the barrel- Don't take it completely off yet.

5 Remove the pin holding the rod onto the swing frame- u will need to block up under the cylinder barrel to keep it from dropping.

6 To get the oil completely out of the cylinder put the hoses into a bucket then push, by hand, the rod all the way in and pull it all the way out then u will feel there is no more oil inside the cylinder

7 Remove the spanner nut completely exposing the rod guide where the main seals are located inside of.

8 Now u will need to use either a brass punch or rubber mallet to hit the rod guide into the barrel a few inches (be very careful not to ruin the threads or u will have a horrible time trying to get the spanner nut back when reassembling) U will see the snap ring on the inside of the barrel almost at the end of the barrel (this is what holds the rod from coming out of the barrel) u will need a flat screwdriver or sometimes takes two or a sharp pick to pry the ring out. Remove the snap ring.

9 Inspect the edge of the barrel and where the snap ring was for rust build up if it feels bumpy and has a lot of rust here u will need to sand it down til it feels flat like the inside o the barrel. With the snap ring removed the new seal kit should have an orange plastic ring in it this is a tool made to go into the groove where the snap ring was inside of. Be sure to check when u put this tool in the groove that it sits level with the inside of the barrel u should be able to feel if it is not in the groove correctly. Also sometimes the tool is a little to large to get it into the groove all the way if u cannot seem to get it to fit just put it in the groove and see how much is overlapping then just cut that extra off with a razor blade.

This tool is needed not only to make it easier to pull the rod out but some cylinders have another metal ring on the piston that u cannot see while its in the barrel and if u do not have the tool in the groove and force the rod to come out u can easily break this ring.

10 Now you can pull the rod completely out of the barrel- it may not just come right out if the seals on the piston are a little messed up it can give u some trouble but with the tool in the groove the rod should come right out.

Note that DO NOT use the orange ring tool for reassembly of the cylinder because it will get caught between the piston and the barrel if u try to put the rod in and u will have a horrible time getting it back out and probably ruin the new seals on the piston as well.

11 Pin the rod end to something or put in a vice- U will need a heavy duty tool at least a 3/4" ratchet with a pipe on it to break the nut loose
U should punch mark the nut to the rod to mark where the nut was when re tightening the nut.

Note that some to most of these nuts are on there extremely tight with a lot of torque so if u cannot break it loose u will need to bring it to a hyd shop to break it loose.

12 With nut off remove piston and rod guide- be sure to remember how all seals were facing when removing- re seal and put back together as taken part.

Hope this all helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Im new to this forum and I found it because Im looking for a rod guide for an 1988 JD 210c.I have a question about it because the part have the sub # h157978 but in the internet I found it works on 310 and 410 so does it works in the 210 aswell???? Any help is welcome...thanks

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Hi
Im new to this forum and I found it because Im looking for a rod guide for an 1988 JD 210c.I have a question about it because the part have the sub # h157978 but in the internet I found it works on 310 and 410 so does it works in the 210 aswell???? Any help is welcome...thanks
H157978 is the correct rod guide for the boom cylinder of a JD 210C backhoe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts